Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Break my J frame.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Bumping this back up because I had an interesting hiccup with my 642 that I'd like to share.

Yesterday at the range, 30 rounds into a 50 round session with the range's in-house reloads. I looked down at my table, and noticed a spring and some sort of plunger laying there. Upon closer inspection, I saw that it was a locking bolt and spring (that catches the end of the ejector rod under the barrel). I then noticed that it was MY locking bolt and spring. The retaining pin looked like it had walked out about 2/3 of the way.

Cylinder still locked up tightly, but I couldn't fix it right there, so I packed it up early. Went home, and was able to pop it all back together with little fuss. What concerns me is that the holes for the retaining pin might be a little loose at this point, though the pin doesn't feel like it's going to just drop out (combination of pressure, and maybe some tension from the bolt and spring?).

I'm not too worried; I've seen some revolvers without this lockup fire just fine with .38, and for all I know, I likely put some rounds through it in this condition. This gun also won't see any extended range sessions. Then again, I only bought this back in October. Not sure if I'll send it to S&W or not.

Just something to be aware of.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post
    Bumping this back up because I had an interesting hiccup with my 642 that I'd like to share.

Yesterday at the range, 30 rounds into a 50 round session with the range's in-house reloads. I looked down at my table, and noticed a spring and some sort of plunger laying there. Upon closer inspection, I saw that it was a locking bolt and spring (that catches the end of the ejector rod under the barrel). I then noticed that it was MY locking bolt and spring. The retaining pin looked like it had walked out about 2/3 of the way.

Cylinder still locked up tightly, but I couldn't fix it right there, so I packed it up early. Went home, and was able to pop it all back together with little fuss. What concerns me is that the holes for the retaining pin might be a little loose at this point, though the pin doesn't feel like it's going to just drop out (combination of pressure, and maybe some tension from the bolt and spring?).

I'm not too worried; I've seen some revolvers without this lockup fire just fine with .38, and for all I know, I likely put some rounds through it in this condition. This gun also won't see any extended range sessions. Then again, I only bought this back in October. Not sure if I'll send it to S&W or not.

Just something to be aware of.

If I understand what happened correctly, couldn't you just reinstall the parts and "stake" the retaining pin in place?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had the same problem on a 442-1 around spring of 2011. Sent it back to Smith and they fixed it, had it back in about a week or two.
    "When you go home, Tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, We gave our today."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    If I understand what happened correctly, couldn't you just reinstall the parts and "stake" the retaining pin in place?
    Which is what I did, minus the staking. This was just an FYI that that particular pin might walk out.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A little Loctite would probably hold that pin in place.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I took my newer (gift in Oct 2014) BG38 to the range today and fired 270 rounds. The rounds I loaded with Unique gunpowder really made the little wheel gun filthy. That brings the total up to 2,170. I have a long way to go to catch up with Mr. Bell.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    deleted
    Last edited by moonshot; 03-29-15 at 12:08. Reason: moved to a thread of its own

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    image.jpg This thread contributed to my desire for a brand new 638-3. Thank you OP. Ive never fired an airweight before, it beat up my trigger finger to the point it bled. I fired 90 rounds and had to quit as the skin broke open on my knuckle. Totally badass little guns.
    Clay....Bill Clay.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I took my newer (gift in Oct 2014) BG38 to the range today and fired 270 rounds. The rounds I loaded with Unique gunpowder really made the little wheel gun filthy. That brings the total up to 2,170. I have a long way to go to catch up with Mr. Bell.

I had the BG38 out for two more sessions. The more I shoot it, the more I like it.

The last time out, I ran some basic drills. Here is one of many I like to shoot.

4 Yard Line: Draw from concealment with the strong hand only, take a lateral step right and fire 2 shots center of mass in 4 seconds. Square back up on the target and come to low ready. Take a lateral step left and with the strong hand only fire 3 shots center mass in 4 seconds. 5 Rounds Total

4-8 Yard Line: Draw from concealment with any grip you choose and move diagonally to the right rear toward the 8 yard line. Fire 5 shots center mass in 6 seconds. Square back up on the target at the 4 yard line, reload and holster. Repeat drill moving from the 4 yard line toward the 8 yard line moving diagonal left rear. 10 Rounds Total

4-8 Yard Line: Draw from concealment with any grip you choose and move from the 4 yard line straight back toward the 8 yard line. Fire 5 rounds center mass in 6 seconds while on the move. 5 Rounds Total

8-4 Yard Line: Draw from concealment with any grip you like (one or two hand) and move from the 8 yard line to the 4 yard line. Fire 4 rounds center mass and 1 to the head in 6 seconds while on the move. 5 Rounds Total

15 Yard Line: Draw from concealment with any grip you like and fire 5 rounds center mass in 10 seconds. 5 Rounds Total

15 Yard Line: Draw from concealment with any grip you like. Fire 5 rounds center mass, reload, then 5 more rounds center mass in 30 seconds. 10 Rounds Total

25 Yard Line: Draw from concealment using any grip you like and fire 10 rounds center mass with no time limit.

A passing score would be 85% or 43 hits in the score box without any practice prior to the drill. The center mass score area on the target is 8" Wide x 14" High. Your goal is to consistently shoot over 95% or 48 out of 50 hits without any practice. I usually shoot this drill twice, then move onto something else. Shooting 10 rounds in 30 seconds at 15 yards using Bianchi speed strips is a bit tougher than using HKS speed loaders.

2,630 rounds and counting Mr.Bell. Now that the weather is agreeable, I am trying to catch up with you.
    Last edited by T2C; 04-01-15 at 14:09.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    I stumbled across this link in the S&W forum.
    Many thanks to the OP who has expended time, talent, and treasure to do what I suspect many of us have secretly wanted to do.
    I own two "J"s and consider them indispensable for an armed person to have.
    A 442 or 60 is always in my pocket unless at work where they are not authorized for carry on my badge. I carry my revolvers on a state issued CWP when not on the job.
    This thread has convinced me that I need to spend more "quality time" with my little five-shooters...

Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast