Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Break my J frame.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Do it.
    Did it! I found a no lock 340 PD airlite a while back. LOVE it.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    (aside from the IL on mine, which was removed).
    IL? ...
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    Great to hear of all the men goin' snub!

While I really like my SW Airweight 442 because it is sooo light, for those of you considering a snub, be sure to look at the Ruger LCRs

I have the 357, which it handles really well (steel frame insert) and makes +P 38s feel like regular 38s

Not as light as Smiths, but not much heavier, it's worth taking a look at. Virtually every range that rents guns will have one to try out. I will say I def prefer the LCR's trigger over my 442
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    IL? ...
    Internal Lock...

Lots of people are removing them and plugging the hole.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    Internal Lock...

Lots of people are removing them and plugging the hole.
    Ah, yep ... is there now a more cosmetically less goofy way to fill that hole? Just curious what people are doing. I recall reading that removing the workings of it isn't too difficult, but filling the hole with something was a bit barnyard.

Feedback Score
    There's actually two different companies now making custom fit plugs, that can be matched relatively close. No, it's not perfect, but it's a decent option.

Tons of information on this over on the Smith and Wesson forums.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Ok finally got to shoot the new 442 today. I shot 25 rounds of Fiocchi 148gr wadcutters (nearly NO recoil to speak of), 25 rounds of Remington 130gr FMJ (noticeable recoild but not bad or painful at all), and 10 rounds of 135gr +P Gold Dots. I was expecting this round to thump more than it did, but it was still very manageable.

Considering my only previous experience with a J frame was shooting 5 rounds of some type of Buffalo Bore ammo out of a friend's 340 (which was a terribly painful experience) I was pleasantly surprised at how soft shooting this gun felt, even with the +P ammo and strong hand only and off hand only shooting. I managed to keep all my rounds today inside of a 4" circle shooting between 3 and 7 yards.

Reloading with "speed" strips was certainly not that quick, but I attribute that more so to my extreme novice status as a revolver shooter.

Oh, and I picked up a Desantis Nemesis for it so I can start properly training on drawing from a pocket.

Definitely looking forward to more time shooting this thing. I was afraid I would really suck with this thing and it would be useless to me as a backup weapon but with more training I can certainly see it being a viable BUG. I can see why this thread has over 40 pages!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just took a browse through the thread... really enjoyed the read.

I love my 642-1. Had it redone in NP3+, but started moving to 9mm guns. I still have my LCP, but was replaced by a P938 SAS. I was considering switching out the J-frame for a 9mm LCR... but comparing my dad's .357 LCR (same weight as the 9mm), the 642 is A LOT lighter. So, kept the gun and converted it...

I found a converted cylinder on AR15.com, and when it was fitted, it allows me to convert the gun with a cylinder swap. A few people did 9mm Airweight conversions on S&W Forum. For me, I just keep it standard pressure ammo, and try for heavier bullet weights (147 grain is my carry ammo).

Shooting wise, recoil of UMC bulk was like I was shooting standard pressure .38s. Velocity wise, the standard pressure 147 grain loads (Hornady XTP) I shoot come out as fast as 110 grain CD +P.

I run CT grips, mainly for dry fire practice (can't use MantisX on it, since it doesn't have a rail). The other thing is the LaserMax weapon light... which I picked up off DVOR, and starting to implement. Works nice and going to start running it, but need to have an IWB holster made for it.

My main benefit for 9mm in a J-frame is the reload consideration. I didn't have moonclips with the .38... so ran HKS speedloaders. 9mm on moonclips is about half the length the size as .38s in HKS speedloaders. I just ordered some of the Del Fatti pocket moonclip carriers. I'm debating on getting the belt carriers off RevolverSupply, but rather toss them in the pocket than hanging on my belt.

Also, ejecting/loading 9mm moonclips is a lot easier than .38s. Hard to jam empties on the grip, and plenty of clearance when inserting the loaded clip.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
    Ok finally got to shoot the new 442 today. I shot 25 rounds of Fiocchi 148gr wadcutters (nearly NO recoil to speak of), 25 rounds of Remington 130gr FMJ (noticeable recoild but not bad or painful at all), and 10 rounds of 135gr +P Gold Dots. I was expecting this round to thump more than it did, but it was still very manageable.

Considering my only previous experience with a J frame was shooting 5 rounds of some type of Buffalo Bore ammo out of a friend's 340 (which was a terribly painful experience) I was pleasantly surprised at how soft shooting this gun felt, even with the +P ammo and strong hand only and off hand only shooting. I managed to keep all my rounds today inside of a 4" circle shooting between 3 and 7 yards.

Reloading with "speed" strips was certainly not that quick, but I attribute that more so to my extreme novice status as a revolver shooter.

Oh, and I picked up a Desantis Nemesis for it so I can start properly training on drawing from a pocket.

Definitely looking forward to more time shooting this thing. I was afraid I would really suck with this thing and it would be useless to me as a backup weapon but with more training I can certainly see it being a viable BUG. I can see why this thread has over 40 pages!
    Glad you're a believer now and welcome to the timeless J Frame Fraternity. 4" at 7 yards ... you're good to go, keep up the practice!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Just took a browse through the thread... really enjoyed the read.

I love my 642-1. Had it redone in NP3+, but started moving to 9mm guns. I still have my LCP, but was replaced by a P938 SAS. I was considering switching out the J-frame for a 9mm LCR... but comparing my dad's .357 LCR (same weight as the 9mm), the 642 is A LOT lighter. So, kept the gun and converted it...

I found a converted cylinder on AR15.com, and when it was fitted, it allows me to convert the gun with a cylinder swap. A few people did 9mm Airweight conversions on S&W Forum. For me, I just keep it standard pressure ammo, and try for heavier bullet weights (147 grain is my carry ammo).

Shooting wise, recoil of UMC bulk was like I was shooting standard pressure .38s. Velocity wise, the standard pressure 147 grain loads (Hornady XTP) I shoot come out as fast as 110 grain CD +P.

I run CT grips, mainly for dry fire practice (can't use MantisX on it, since it doesn't have a rail). The other thing is the LaserMax weapon light... which I picked up off DVOR, and starting to implement. Works nice and going to start running it, but need to have an IWB holster made for it.

My main benefit for 9mm in a J-frame is the reload consideration. I didn't have moonclips with the .38... so ran HKS speedloaders. 9mm on moonclips is about half the length the size as .38s in HKS speedloaders. I just ordered some of the Del Fatti pocket moonclip carriers. I'm debating on getting the belt carriers off RevolverSupply, but rather toss them in the pocket than hanging on my belt.

Also, ejecting/loading 9mm moonclips is a lot easier than .38s. Hard to jam empties on the grip, and plenty of clearance when inserting the loaded clip.
    Great project, thanks for sharing the details. A laser on a revolver is one of the most overlooked training aids around IMO ... instant feedback that helps all your shooting. I'm curious ... mind sharing what the 9mm conversion took money wise? I may want to head down that road sometime.

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast