G&R Tactical
Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 452

Thread: Project: Break my J frame.

  1. #381
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,505
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll have to dump some of my attachments to upload a picture of my newly acquired J Frame. It has holster wear on the muzzle and the side of the recoil shield. I don't know how many rounds were fired through the BG38, but I suspect it was less than 500. I've fired over 800 rounds through it at this point.

    I am still carrying Speer 135g +P GDHP in the BG38. It would be difficult to find a better round for a revolver with a 1-7/8" barrel.
    Training is a never ending process

  2. #382
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Near the Arch
    Posts
    263
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I'll have to dump some of my attachments to upload a picture of my newly acquired J Frame. It has holster wear on the muzzle and the side of the recoil shield. I don't know how many rounds were fired through the BG38, but I suspect it was less than 500. I've fired over 800 rounds through it at this point.

    I am still carrying Speer 135g +P GDHP in the BG38. It would be difficult to find a better round for a revolver with a 1-7/8" barrel.
    Lifetime warranty, so hey, no worries. That's the one that has the thumb push laser on it? Great for training purposes to draw on a target and check where you land, as well as observing the smoothness / jerkiness of your double action pull.

    Is that Gold Dot round the one designed for short barrels?
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Gun Fighting Training Program
    Civilian Marksmanship Program competitor - M1 Garand, IDPA competitor
    Part-Time Sales at National Firearms Retailer

  3. #383
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,505
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes it is. I had the opportunity to speak with a representative from ATK Corporation and he said the Speer 135g +P GDHP was specifically designed for a short barrel revolver. I had the opportunity to shoot the cartridge into ballistic gelatin with my Model 60 during the meeting and I was impressed with it's performance.

    The S&W lifetime warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear. Most people would not wear out a revolver in their lifetime, but I am afraid I do not fall into that group.
    Training is a never ending process

  4. #384
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Great lakes
    Posts
    119
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Yes it is. I had the opportunity to speak with a representative from ATK Corporation and he said the Speer 135g +P GDHP was specifically designed for a short barrel revolver. I had the opportunity to shoot the cartridge into ballistic gelatin with my Model 60 during the meeting and I was impressed with it's performance.

    The S&W lifetime warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear. Most people would not wear out a revolver in their lifetime, but I am afraid I do not fall into that group.
    Thanks for the research. Time to visit sgammo.

  5. #385
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Desert SW, USA.
    Posts
    526
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes... As advertised, the 11.8 ounce 340PD kicks like a _____-______. What we have all heard is true. :-)

    I'm OK with that. It is manageable at .38 +p... It is NOT a target pistol or range gun. I made it through 25 rounds of 125gr .38 +p, before the backstrap of the frame wore a decent raw spot in the webbing of my hand between thumb and trigger finger. Drew blood on the first day, nice. I think this can be corrected with different grips, but will probably leave it stock as I'm not going to be target shooting with it. Next time I go to burn off a box of ammo, I'll wear mechanix gloves. Accuracy is so-so, but that's probably more me than the gun. It WAS consistently about 8-10 inches high at 10 yards with the +p ammo. No biggie, adjusted the aiming point and dialed her right in.

    For this reason, I did not try any .357. I doubt I will. I think .38 +p will do the job. I'm happy I got the PD version for the lighter weight. Without putting it on a scale, loaded with 5 x .38 125gr, it feels the same weight as a loaded Ruger LCP II .380 mouse gun. I cannot tell the difference. This thing just melts into my front pocket. I forget it's even there.

    IMHO, it will do what it is designed to do perfectly. It's a pocket BUG and occasional EDC pocket carry for shorts weather when I do not dress around the gun. 100* days are just around the corner and all I'll be wearing on my days off is shorts and a t-shirt. This will be perfect.
    Last edited by Det-Sog; 05-19-17 at 19:15.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Former career LEO. -- NRA Life Member.

  6. #386
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Great lakes
    Posts
    119
    Feedback Score
    0
    Revolvers that are designed to shoot 357 magnum will have the sights regulated for the higher velocity ammunition. Shooting 38 special through same weapon usually produces higher poi. Try some 357 magnum ammo with gloves to confirm.

  7. #387
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Near the Arch
    Posts
    263
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    Yes... As advertised, the 11.8 ounce 340PD kicks like a _____-______. What we have all heard is true. :-)

    I'm OK with that. It is manageable at .38 +p... It is NOT a target pistol or range gun. I made it through 25 rounds of 125gr .38 +p, before the backstrap of the frame wore a decent raw spot in the webbing of my hand between thumb and trigger finger. Drew blood on the first day, nice. I think this can be corrected with different grips, but will probably leave it stock as I'm not going to be target shooting with it. Next time I go to burn off a box of ammo, I'll wear mechanix gloves. Accuracy is so-so, but that's probably more me than the gun. It WAS consistently about 8-10 inches high at 10 yards with the +p ammo. No biggie, adjusted the aiming point and dialed her right in.

    For this reason, I did not try any .357. I doubt I will. I think .38 +p will do the job. I'm happy I got the PD version for the lighter weight. Without putting it on a scale, loaded with 5 x .38 125gr, it feels the same weight as a loaded Ruger LCP II .380 mouse gun. I cannot tell the difference. This thing just melts into my front pocket. I forget it's even there.

    IMHO, it will do what it is designed to do perfectly. It's a pocket BUG and occasional EDC pocket carry for shorts weather when I do not dress around the gun. 100* days are just around the corner and all I'll be wearing on my days off is shorts and a t-shirt. This will be perfect.
    Thanks for the follow up. 10 yards is long distance shooting with a snub, unless you're Hickok 45 who can ring a gong at 100 yards with one! You have me interested in this one, and didn't realize they crept close to $1k. I guess it's the exotic metallurgy ... it does seem amazing to shoot 357 out of something that light. Gloves would be a must for that round it sounds like. Whelp, enjoy your new tried & true partner!
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Gun Fighting Training Program
    Civilian Marksmanship Program competitor - M1 Garand, IDPA competitor
    Part-Time Sales at National Firearms Retailer

  8. #388
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Desert SW, USA.
    Posts
    526
    Feedback Score
    0

    Project: Break my J frame.

    @Krazykarl.. Did not know that. Thanks. It's been years since I've owned a wheel gun. It's good to be back. I grew up on them. I feel right at home.
    Last edited by Det-Sog; 05-19-17 at 23:52.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Former career LEO. -- NRA Life Member.

  9. #389
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Desert SW, USA.
    Posts
    526
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Thanks for the follow up. 10 yards is long distance shooting with a snub, unless you're Hickok 45 who can ring a gong at 100 yards with one!
    Yeah... I was working hard. Oh well, if you can hit at 10 yards, you can hit at 3. My dream is to have a back yard like Hickock45 when I retire.

    Yes, it's pricey, imho but worth It for the lighter weight. I pack real light in the summer and do notice the extra few ounces. I REALLY notice the extra few ounces when I shot it.

    For what it's designed for, it's darn near perfect. A keeper imho. Have a good weekend y'all.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Former career LEO. -- NRA Life Member.

  10. #390
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,004
    Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I have an old, no-lock 342 with the Scandium frame and titanium cylinder. 10.8 ounces unloaded. It's my daily carry BUG.

    Recoil is stout, but it's an accurate little booger. We ran Ken Hackathorn's Wizard drill today at the range, and I could do one-handed headshots out to 7 yards with no issue, weak-hand only. I always have trouble with a J-frame when I hit 10 yards and out, though.

    The eyeballs, they not so good anymore.

Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •