Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Break my J frame.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Project: Break my J frame.

Guys,

For the past few years I have spent less and less time playing with autoloading handguns. My main problem with them is that they are, frankly, impractical for every day civillian carry. I still play with my .45s and my plastic guns but I never carry them.

Basically, here is my reasoning (from a post of mine last year).

I think the J-frame in airweight format is probably the best all-around gun for the average civillian. Here is why:

1. Very simple. The Revolver has no safety, no movable sights, no dropable magazines, nothing. Just a gun that you can drop in your pocket and go.

2. Very reliable. While the myth of the unstoppable revolver is BS, it is true that a revolver is more likely to go off when you pull the trigger. Any number of factors from being out of battery due to close contact, empty chamber, jam, missing magazine, etc can curse your autoloader, the J-frame will work in all of the these cicumstances--and if the cylinder is empty keep squeezing.

3. Reasonable cost. Autoloaders are pricey. A Glock 19 is going to run most folks around $520. You are going to need a rigid holster (at least a fobus) and probably at least another spare mag or two. A J-frame will run you $100-200 cheaper.

4. You can throw out the price difference buy purchasing a set of crimson trace laser grips. This is, in the words of LAV, a no brainer fro the J-frame. The laser grip is absolutely perfect for this type of gun. You can practice dry-firing, shooting on the move, barrier shots, etc using the crimson trace grips and save a LOT of time and money at the range. This is especially nice for folks who don't have a range where they can practice practical shooting.

5. Five shots is a serious limitation. I do agree with those who say that 5 shots is the scary minimum. But I do think that the fact that you are much more likely to actually CARRY an ultra-lightweight revolver makes up for a combat autoloader in the glove compartment because you didn't feel like putting it back on before you went in the store.

6. Simplicity (again). A J-frame is really all you need. A simple nylon pocket holster is preferable, but not absolutely needed. You can just put it in your coat pocket (and shoot through it if need be). There is no need to keep up with magaizines and wait for months for holsters or any of the other doo-hickey's that you collect for autoloaders.

So, for the past year I have been mainly practicing with a 442 that I picked up a while back. My EDC is a 342 (Scandium/titanium) worked over by Karl Sokol. But my training gun is a 642 with an xs tritium front sight also installed by Sokol.

I am going to keep a log of my training and round count with the 642. Basically to entertain myself but also to see if any of the information I stumble upon is useful to anyone else.

As of today the 642 has 370rounds through it. 300rounds wwb 130 grain and 50 rounds of +p 158 grain lawman. I also ran 20 rounds of 135 grain gold dot.

I typically carry my 342 in my pocket so that is how I do all my drills. I usually practice like this.

1. 1,2,3 shot sets draw at 21 feet.
    2. 1,2,3 shot sets draw and fire while walking backwards.
    3. 1,2,3 forwards.
    4. 1,2,3 sideways in both directions.
    5. Box drills
    6. Strong and weak hand drills.
    7. 25 yards groups
    8. Hail Mary shots at 50 and 100 yards.

I use HKS speed loaders for all reloads.

http://m.flickr.com/photos/52942291@...9219/lightbox/
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    This goes totally against the high capacity semi auto doctrine.

You should talk to Claude Werner about your training routine. He has developed numerous practice regimens for the J frame.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I have shot grouse in the head with a Smith model 37 aluminum frame 2". THe grouse were not flying though.

Feedback Score
    Hate to nit pick but when mentioning cost and needs you list a spare mag for the Glock which arguably isn't needed under the same thought process of 5 shots of the J-frame, $200 for a J-frame which isn't the case especially when you get into the air-weights and certain models (which can be $900+) and once you ad on the crimson trace grips that is even more money.

Not a big deal and I do agree that a J-frame in the pocket is better then a semi at home but it does seem your holding the semi-autos to higher standards then their bare minimal requirements and then comparing it to a better end J-frame at the low end of pricing. Just a little apples to oranges.

One thing about semis being out of battery, when it comes to double action revolvers they also can end up not firing in close contact such as someone grabbing it and putting pressure on the cylinder. Just something I think gets over looked if your talking about a power struggle for control of a gun.

Good post but those things just stood out to me, well that and I always want a holster.
    Luck is awesome. The more proficient you are at what you do the luckier you seem to be.

Do what you love and love what you do.

Shooter and survivalist by hobby.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Really looking forward to following this. I enjoyed your Glock 26 thread so much I went out and bought one.
    I already have a j frame with a crimson trace laser grip so I probably should go ahead and get a set of .38 dies so I can shoot mine more often.

Feedback Score
    Your primary argument (that people will actually carry a j frame) only holds weight with those that wouldn't otherwise carry a larger gun.

I carry either a full size M&P or M&P Shield every day. I never walk out the door thinking either of those guns are too impractical, and on the few occasions where I don't carry, having a J frame available wouldn't have changed that (I also have a P32 available to carry, typically as a BUG).

Not that I have a problem with people carrying such guns, if it's what you want then have at it, it's certainly better then no gun at all (or a lot of the cheap Saturday night specials some people like to carry...). But I don't agree that it's "the best all-around gun for the average civillian", or that typical autoloaders are impractical for said group. It's the best gun for those that won't carry anything else, and that's about it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Very well written and I agree 100%.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Hate to nit pick but when mentioning cost and needs you list a spare mag for the Glock which arguably isn't needed under the same thought process of 5 shots of the J-frame, $200 for a J-frame which isn't the case especially when you get into the air-weights and certain models (which can be $900+) and once you ad on the crimson trace grips that is
    My Airweight cost 359. All the add on stuff like night sights, lasers, etc costs money just like it does on the Glock.

One thing about semis being out of battery, when it comes to double action revolvers they also can end up not firing in close contact such as someone grabbing it and putting pressure on the cylinder. Just something I think gets over looked if your talking about a power struggle for control of a gun.

Good point
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    My Airweight cost 359. All the add on stuff like night sights, lasers, etc costs money just like it does on the Glock.
    Mine was 289

I gotta say, while I love my J frame, really the only thing it does well is pocket carry. I have an AIWB belt holster for it, but it really isn't significantly bulkier in profile than my G26 with the 10rd mag. The grip is actually a little shorter than the boot grips on my J frame, too....

I hear ya with your central argument - not everyone can pack a G17 + Weaponlight + 2 spare mags every day - but I think you can draw a happy medium. AIWB has totally changed the comfort and concealability with which I carry a pistol, and unless it's over 90 degrees, I don't have a problem concealing a Glock 26 on my waistline. Once we get below 75 and I can begin to wear a light jacket, the G19 becomes a piece of cake.

Tossing a J-frame in your pocket is easy, sure - and I've done it before and will keep doing it for some time - but there is a saying about "comforting" and "comfortable." And as it stands, I find it FAR easier to put rounds where I want them with any of my 9mm glocks, the 26 included. Maybe I just suck, but 5 shots with my J frame begins to seem like VERY little when I review my ability to actually hit the target with it....

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    The problem is that almost everyone I know, even the most die hard of gun guys, starts leaving his gun behind after a while. If it involves threading on holsters, or sitting in a car with an iwb tearing up their side and their interior, they eventually quit. Of course I would prefer to have a P30. It is much easier to shoot--but only if I have it. It is true, the jframe does nothing better than other guns except actually be with you. I have been carrying for 21 years now. Early on I carried a P7, sig 229s, etc. I have carried full size 1911, especially during the winter. But as the years have gone on I have focused on guns like the glock 26, Kahr pm9 and now the j frame.

Christopher Columbus

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast