Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Break my J frame.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    Feesix, Patton is correct. That 340 is plenty of weapon. 5 x .357 is plenty of firepower for the average mortal. If I'm ever worried that my j-frame won't be enough... I'll rethink where I'm going and WHY I'm going there in the first place.

I just put the laser on my 340 and loved it at the range. I really noticed a difference in the speed of putting rounds accurately on target with the CT grips. It was even more noticeable in a low light setting of the indoor range. They really helped. As Patton mentioned earlier, they will make a great dry-fire practice tool also. Now I need to go get some snap caps.
    i actually carry .38 +p hollow points in my 640. mine is not the 357 version. its a older model 640.
    Last edited by feesix; 08-09-17 at 22:47.

Feedback Score
    Definitely going to have to get some of that. Thanks!!
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Not to dig up old posts...well, yeah, I'm going to do it. Thanks you to you folks, I bought a 442 with no lock, Altamont grip panels to replace the rubber boot grip, speed strips and an HKS reloader, and acquired a MS SS-2 for IWB carry. I've been looking for some of the target and SD ammo recommended in this thread and am coming up empty on the Remington and/or empty on the Speer or insulted at the price.

What are recommended alternatives that I might actually be able to find online of in the LGS for the Remington RTG38S3 (148-gr WC Target Master) and Speer 135-gr +P for SBs? I should probably post a picture, too. I really like this little revolver.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -- Will Rogers

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Welcome! This thread did the same thing to me. A few months back I got a no lock 442. Absolutely love it. I’ve got two of the six round Biancchi speed strips and eight of the seven round Tuff quick strips. I much prefer the Tuff strips. (Load two, space, load two, space, load one.) When I carry it it’s in a simple Desantis Nemesis, but it works for me. Not sure how you feel about the sights but I painted the front ramp with an orange paint marker to be able to see it better and it’s helped me a lot. Also, the hundreds and hundreds (and maybe thousands by now?) of dry fire reps has also helped my semi-auto trigger pull as well.

As for ammo, I picked up some 135gr +P Gold Dots at our local LE supply store, but SG Ammo sells it for about $30/box of 50 last I saw. If my research is correct Speer no longer markets this as the short barrel ammo, but it IS still intended to be fired from short (2”) barrels even though it’s not marked as such.

Enjoy it!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Well,hell...stripped the grip screw head on my 442 while trying to remove it and replace the original rubber boot grip with Altamont panels. EZ Out or something similar, or is there something else to dry?

In my defense, I looked up the screw size and determined it to be a T10. I used that size but the screw was tight as hell and next thing you know? A great sadness descended upon the land.

This is why I can’t have nice things...
    Last edited by afff_667; 10-08-17 at 17:28. Reason: ETA info
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -- Will Rogers

Feedback Score
    LoL ... Yeah, I've been there before with that kinda' stuff. We all have I suspect.

You you have a dremel? You can use it to cut a slot for a regular/blade screwdriver. Since the screw is recessed likely, you may end up damaging the grip in the process. Since you're replacing it anyway, you may not care

You can also try using a wood burner / soldering iron and heat up the head of the screw, which can break the bond / make the receptacle expand more (maybe). Try getting in a phillips screwdriver or different fastener in there that can get a bite ... and yeah, an EZ out is best suited for that role.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I'm picking up a new smith 340pd this weekend and can't wait to try it out! Plan on snagging some of the gold dots, I have a variety of 38 and 357 ammo to try also. Long live the snubbie!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordtough25 View Post
    I'm picking up a new smith 340pd this weekend and can't wait to try it out! Plan on snagging some of the gold dots, I have a variety of 38 and 357 ammo to try also. Long live the snubbie!!!
    Nice one, congrats. I bet Saturday can't get here fast enough. Post up pics when you get. Be sure to check the timing. CAn be off even on brand new guns. Slowly pull the trigger and listen for the click to occur before the trigger is all the way back. That's the cylinder bolt clicking into and locking the cylinder / notch on the cylinder

Just for S & Gs I'll be running my LCR in an IDPA competition this weekend. I've got reloading down to about 5 seconds with speed loaders. Fast right?! Well see how I do
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordtough25 View Post
    Ypu had me, right up to the 357. I love my airweights, but having shot 357 through a 340, all I can say is thanks but no thanks.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post
    Ypu had me, right up to the 357. I love my airweights, but having shot 357 through a 340, all I can say is thanks but no thanks.
    Yes I know it, I've read the internets accounts and the horror! I think I'm getting a pretty good deal on it so I figured for the weight savings I would enjoy the option, but will most likely stick to 38+p mostly. I had a 642 for a long while and stupidly let it go last year, with my schedule and activities I am missing a j frame!

Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast