Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Break my J frame.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    ~1850 (some additional lose ammo not included).

Still chugging along like new.

By the way, I am not shooting the gun "to death" like I did in my old "break my" threads. I am actually using a bore snake on the chambers and barrel. And I am using a baby wipe to clean the crud off the exterior.
    Greg,

We just had a 642 this past week lock up on the qual line. Not sure the cause as we are not permitted to perform armorer level tasks but it appeared to be that something was out of position with the cylinder release. The release lever was locked forward in the "release" position, however, the cylinder could neither turn, nor open. The release lever could be moved backwards to the "locked" position. The shooter had just completed a reload and was preparing to engage the target when the pistol stopped shooting. Anyway, I wanted to shoot the info out to you in case you were familiar with the situation as it was one I had not encountered.

K

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Never heard of that one. But I am a not a revolver expert by any stretch. I am just chronicling my shooting to keep me practicing with my carry gun. I have a bad habit of practicing with my toys (1911s, M&Ps) and letting my actual carry gun sit because it is less fun to shoot (or harder to shoot well).
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Greg, How does putting your speedloader in the same pocket as your holster work? I can't imagine changing hands then ripping my holster out of the pocket. Just curious, thanks.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Good question!

It is easier than it sounds. I use a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. When you remove the revolver it flattens out. Here is what I do:

I open the cylinder and toss the gun to my support hand. Then I use my support thumb to push down on the ejector and I shake the crap out of the pistol while I am reaching for the speedloader with my strong hand. Don't push down on the ejector more than once, you risk bad ju ju. Then, you just jam your hand in your pocket and get the speed loader. Only very rarely does the holster come out. I use the HKS speed loaders and they are pretty trim.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Greg, I'll try this with my pocket holster. I use an RKBA. It doesn't collapse and it stays in the pocket of my pants. Out of thousands of presentations, its come out once with the gun.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    2000 rounds + ~25

Chugging along nicely. For some reasons my groups are migrating leftward just a bit. Damn 1911 practice!

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I dig my MNP 340. Yes, it bucks and I should practice more. I carry it often, but less now that I own a Shield.

Good thread. I'll practice this coming week.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have been watching this thread since Greg started it, and I am really missing my old J-frame now. I have been currently using a Kahr PM9 for pocket carry, but I really miss the simplicity of a J-frame. The Kahr has been great, but performing manipulations with such a small gun is difficult. The J-frame was way more user friendly IMHO.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Rung in the new year with 100 rounds of Remington +P. I have learned that some bullets with soft lead hollowpoints don't work very well with speed loaders. I recommend something fully jacketed like Gold Dots.

I noticed I can now keep all my bullets inside a bowling pin silhouette at 25 yards even while shooting on the move as long as it is front to back. Lateral movement is a bitch but I can still keep it between the shoulders. The J-frame will make you a better shot!

By the way, I do carry this gun every day, all day except when I am in bed. I have noticed whereas I never ever carried a spare mag with my autoloaders, I often toss a speedloader in my pocket now. Of course, it goes in the same pocket, so it doesn't really add anything, but it is interesting to note.

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post

Rung in the new year with 100 rounds of Remington +P. I have learned that some bullets with soft lead hollowpoints don't work very well with speed loaders. I recommend something fully jacketed like Gold Dots.

I noticed I can now keep all my bullets inside a bowling pin silhouette at 25 yards even while shooting on the move as long as it is front to back. Lateral movement is a bitch but I can still keep it between the shoulders. The J-frame will make you a better shot!

By the way, I do carry this gun every day, all day except when I am in bed. I have noticed whereas I never ever carried a spare mag with my autoloaders, I often toss a speedloader in my pocket now. Of course, it goes in the same pocket, so it doesn't really add anything, but it is interesting to note.
    Very nice! I put 100rds through mine yesterday, hope to do another 100 by next Tuesday. One of these days I should clean and lube it.

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast