Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Break my J frame.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    managed to break mine in a bout 900 rounds plus tons of dryfire (close to 5000 probably on dryfire) hammer pin busted. Smith replaced the frame. I don't really dry fire it anymore. Luckily I've got some mastery of the trigger now.

Feedback Score
    Look forward to reading more - there are times a j-frame is all you can carry.

Skyugo - what happened?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    managed to break mine in a bout 900 rounds plus tons of dryfire (close to 5000 probably on dryfire) hammer pin busted. Smith replaced the frame. I don't really dry fire it anymore. Luckily I've got some mastery of the trigger now.
    Disappointing to hear. What model was yours? a -2?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Disappointing to hear. What model was yours? a -2?
    642_1I did, no bull dry fire the crap out of that gun though.I'm confident that they are good for easily 5000 trigger pulls. Smith was very fast on the warranty, no questions asked. Seems tighter and smoother than ever since getting it back.

Feedback Score
    "The problem is that almost everyone I know, even the most die hard of gun guys, starts leaving his gun behind after a while. "
    Guess they really were not true hard corps gun guys... While the gun is just a tool, I'd much rather have a more effective, capable, and efficient tool when it comes to lifesaving equipment. Having carried/used/been qualified on various handguns since 1986, I can truthfully say the smallest I have any desire to carry on a routine basis is a G19/M&P9c size--pistols of this type work in virtually all attire I use, including suits, casual, and even beach wear with a T-shirt. Heck, I had no problems carrying a 5" 1911 for over two decades, so now a G19 is a piece of cake to tote around.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I have been kinda of thinking about this too.

I can conceal a G19/G26 fairly easily. I even did it for a week in New Orleans in 107 Degree weather all day long doing all the interesting historical stuff while my wife was in a conference.

However, I can't carry at work (risk of termination) and if I have to stop somewhere on the way home, I have to adapt what I am wearing to carrying my G19, but if I could just slip something into my pocket and grab a loaf of bread it would be much simpler.

If it was concealed enough, maybe even carry it at work. Dress code and what I do would make me print a lot. Something in a pocket/ankle, probably not.

I had a S&W 640 with a 2 1/8" bbl (I think) back years ago and it was nearly as heavy as my G26 and I couldn't see carrying something that weighed that much with only 5 rounds and a slow reload and much more difficult for me to shoot.

Please keep us posted.

Especially drill times/accuracy.

Feedback Score
    Crow Hunter, I'm like you. Dress code at work and work policy preclude anything on my waist. I wear slacks, tucked in shirt, no coat, no other options. If I want to be armed while on the job (for more than a day), I need either a Smart Carry or an ankle rig.

The Smart Carry lets me carry something bigger (like my G26), but I spend a lot of time sitting in my car and getting in and out, and the Smart Carry is not as comfortable under these conditions. Also slower to draw from while seated and belted.

An ankle rig is very comfortable and very concealable. I've tried to carry my G26 this way, and it works, but my j-frame prints less.

Nothing but a j-frame is not my first choice, but sometimes it's the best choice.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Guess they really were not true hard corps gun guys... While the gun is just a tool, I'd much rather have a more effective, capable, and efficient tool when it comes to lifesaving equipment. Having carried/used/been qualified on various handguns since 1986, I can truthfully say the smallest I have any desire to carry on a routine basis is a G19/M&P9c size--pistols of this type work in virtually all attire I use, including suits, casual, and even beach wear with a T-shirt. Heck, I had no problems carrying a 5" 1911 for over two decades, so now a G19 is a piece of cake to tote around.
    This......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    My Airweight cost 359. All the add on stuff like night sights, lasers, etc costs money just like it does on the Glock.
    True, I was just pointing it out because you seemed to be painting something like a Glock as becoming more expensive once you factor in mags and other accessories but the J-Frame seemed more hush hush on added costs like speed loaders, new grips, etc don't add money. Not a big deal but if a lesser informed person were to read it they may get the wrong idea about costs.
    Luck is awesome. The more proficient you are at what you do the luckier you seem to be.

Do what you love and love what you do.

Shooter and survivalist by hobby.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Realistically though, most folks don't live and work in environments where all day carry of combat auto loaders is a practical proposition. Most folks do it for a while, but after time passes the gun ends up in the glove compartment most of the time. I guess you can conceal a a 10 inch AR or Mac 10 in a brief case if you are hard core enough.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast