Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Break my J frame.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Realistically though, most folks don't live and work in environments where all day carry of combat auto loaders is a practical proposition. Most folks do it for a while, but after time passes the gun ends up in the glove compartment most of the time. I guess you can conceal a a 10 inch AR or Mac 10 in a brief case if you are hard core enough.
    The reductivist argument can go to the extreme in either direction, though. There are so many variables at play that it's impossible to prescribe "the best" gun for any one individual.

I own a 9mm glock in each frame size (FS, C, SC) and the J frame. They all end up on my hip at one point or another during the year. Case in point - in the last 24 hours, I have been in several NPEs in which I opted for either teh G26 or the J Frame. This evening on my way to grab takeout I took along the G19 + TLR1 in an OWB rig. In each instance I felt it took minimal effort to "gun up," minimal effort to conceal (relative to the environment), and felt that I had maximized my personal security to the best of my ability while simultaneously minimized the chance of being made. In each instance, I went with the most gun I could without compromising my comfort or concealability.

I think the trouble with prescribing the J-frame as the "best all around gun for the average civilian" is that as firearms they really sacrifice a lot in the way of shootability and capacity. I would most definitely not feel comfortable if the J frame was my only sidearm. I have the luxury of owning a variety of pistols that I can carry, but if I had to select only one of them to keep with me at all times, I probably wouldn't pick the J frame... come winter time, it actually might be even more of a hassle to carry adequately than my G19. Pocket carry or IWB carry while wearing gloves in -10 degree weather does not make for a very good drawstroke...

edit: I also don't happen to agree with DocGKR that there is no alternative to carrying a G19 sized pistol. There are absolutely occasions where I simply cannot (ever tried jogging with a G19 in a belly band? it doesn't work) and would prefer 5 shots to 0. I would hardly describe myself as an expert at much outside of confocal microscopy (maybe), but I am happy to not have to worry about whether or not I'll be able to carry to a particular location in particular conditions - the only question I have to answer is "which one?"
    Last edited by Nephrology; 10-02-12 at 19:02.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    You mention getting a spare mag for a semi auto. If you are OK with the capacity of a J frame, I doubt you need a spare mag with a semi since you would have to reload a j frame 3 time when compared with the capacity of many semi autos.

I like j-frames, they are about the only revolver that interests me. I have never really cared for the grips or trigger pull on most revolvers but that is probably because I was brought up on semi autos.

Feedback Score
    "ever tried jogging with a G19 in a belly band? it doesn't work"
    Works for me--running, hiking, skiing, biking, etc...

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I was thinking about this in the context of "layers".

I would like to find a gun that I can carry with me no matter what mode of dress I am forced into and that would be invisible enough that I could carry at work and not get fired even when I have to sit in front of people/bending over or laying down to get better views of test units. When we are doing these tests, where I normally carry a gun is directly in the line of sight of people who are watching my every move in an effort to "lawyer" their way out of potentially failing test results.

Then the next layer would be what I would carry if I can dress appropriately while still retaining the original 1st layer as a backup.

With the final layer being a offensive weapon of some type for they oft dreamt of but never happening zombie apocalypse.

What I have been mulling over in my mind is:

Layer 1 - S&W 642 or 442 pocket/ankle carry, the always gun.
    Layer 2 - G19 (what I normally carry when I can)
    Layer 3 - My AR

I tried doing the G26 as Layer 1, but it never has worked out. While I can and do pocket carry it at times (in a kydex holster and cargo shorts), it is somewhat obvious that there is something big and heavy in my front pocket.

I have also tried ankle carry, it was just a little too square and printed and I would really need to get something that weighed almost the same on my "off leg" to keep me from developing a weird gait. (I walk a lot at work including on our company walking track during my lunch break)

So I am really thinking about taking the plunge and getting a J-frame. I have fired a couple of cylinders out of one before, and it felt like I got a bad hit with an aluminum bat (stung).

I am hoping that was because of my being used to the heavier weight of the 640 and not using good form and I have read the addition of CTC grips can help mitigate the discomfort somewhat.

So thanks for doing the testing and let us know how it is going.

(And if I am way off track here.)

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Honestly, the more you shoot it the less the recoil is an issue. I think a lot of autoloader folks grip them wrong (myself included). Still, my 342 weighs 11 oz and is a bitch.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Works for me--running, hiking, skiing, biking, etc...
    I find that it "bounces" too much in a belly band. I managed to carry a Ruger LCP in a belly band as it has minimal mass.

Feedback Score
    I find the J frame model 60 to be my go to gun when I am out and about. I live in an area with a fairly low crime rate, no drive by shootings and no nuts sticking up gas stations and pizza joints. I carry daily and nightly and the M60 give me a sense of safety. My M60 is chambered in 357. Now when I go out of town, My 1911 goes with me. When I train I train with both, When I pick up the gun my hand forms the grip to the gun, my finger knows it's place on the trigger for each gun. Muscle memory and training are important to develop confidence with your weapons. We carry what we carry for our own reasons we need not justify what we carry. As has been said often if your going to a gun fight take a gun.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

J-frame vs. semi-auto: Just different tools for different jobs.

I recently bought a brand new 442 (no internal lock) to compliment my full size 1911, M&P’s and M&P compact. I work in a hospital setting where carrying on the job would be grounds for immediate termination, not to mention going into and out of MRI would be a huge hassle. The 442 lets me slip the j-frame into my scrub pocket for times between my job and home (getting gas, running errands etc.). I also like being able to wear my 442 when doing yard work in my front pocket (less of a chance of branches etc. catching on my IWB).

The majority of the time I try to wear a M&P full size or compact in 9mm IWB. Before the 442 I would use a smart carry holster when dress code wasn’t ideal for IWB carry. But I never got comfortable with carrying the M&Ps with a round in the chamber in the smart carry (no safety). My 1911 was no problem. I also didn’t like the slow draw sequence the smart carry required.

When I have a cover garment or baggy clothes I prefer IWB, when I’m in-between my day job or doing yard work I love the ease of putting my 442 in my front pocket. Lounging around home in sweatpants or athletic shorts is also where the 442 shines….. I prefer not to wear a gun belt 24/7 when I am on the couch relaxing.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

250 additional rounds down the pipe

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52942291@N00/8064374091

250 additional rounds today. Not that bad! Apparantly the nerves in my hand have just given up. Also, I mounted some crimson trace grips on the 642 which are much easier on the hands than the factory setup (rubber pad across backstrap).

Basically I ran a wild combination of my usual drills. I did some timer drills drawing from my pocket. Unfortunately the avg from my pocket holster to hit within a six inch circle is 1.87. In my defense, this is from a pocket draw.

Even worse are my reloads which are taking 7 plus second from empty to next shot. No Jerry miculek I.

On the humorous side I was able to hit the old 8 inch plate at 100 yards.

I was happy to find that the laser was dead on with 158 gr right out of the box. It was visible in the daylight so I did some box drills with it which were fairly easy.

The fun continues!
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Greg, what is total rd count for us math challenged types? I'm curious how one of these newer j frames will hold up. Thanks for this thread.
    Last edited by brushy bill; 10-07-12 at 21:20.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast