Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Break my J frame.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A J Frame will not last forever. In early March I sold my BG38 for $200 with full disclosure to someone who will probably never fire it. It had a round count of 11,670 and the laser worked intermittently. It was treated rough and never failed to fire. The cylinder end shake and headspace were at the upper limits. The cylinder throat diameter was slightly over .3585" and accuracy was falling off. I fired a lot of Winchester +P 158g LHP and 200 rounds of Federal 147g +P+ JHP, so that may account for the excessive wear.

I picked up a used BG38 to replace the one I sold. It has a lot of holster wear, but it wasn't fired much and is as tight as a drum. Because of it's worn appearance, I paid $250 for it. The seller threw in some accessories and 2-1/2 boxes of Winchester 158g +P Lead Hollow Point, which I have already fired. I've fired over 500 rounds though it since I bought it and it is noticeably more accurate than the one I sold in March.

If I had an opportunity to buy a new J Frame, I would go with the no-lock.
    Last edited by T2C; 05-11-17 at 07:00.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    A J Frame will not last forever. In early March I sold my BG38 for $200 with full disclosure to someone who will probably never fire it. It had a round count of 11,670 and the laser worked intermittently. It was treated rough and never failed to fire. The cylinder end shake and headspace were at the upper limits. The cylinder throat diameter was slightly over .3585" and accuracy was falling off. I fired a lot of Winchester +P 158g LHP and 200 rounds of Federal 147g +P+ JHP, so that may account for the excessive wear.

I picked up a used BG38 to replace the one I sold. It has a lot of holster wear, but it wasn't fired much and is as tight as a drum. Because of it's worn appearance, I paid $250 for it. The seller threw in some accessories and 2-1/2 boxes of Winchester 158g +P Lead Hollow Point, which I have already fired. I've fired over 500 rounds though it since I bought it and it is noticeably more accurate than the one I sold in March.

If I had an opportunity to buy a new J Frame, I would go with the no-lock.
    Still, being at the upper limits with that high a round count and heavy use of +P and ++P wouldn't seem that out of whack versus a semi auto used similarly. Sounds like you scored a nice deal on your new revolver, I wouldn't have been able to pass that up for $250. Toss in a pic if you have a moment. And thanks for doing this thread by the way!
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score

Project: Break my J frame.

This thread sure has me wanting another J. Carried one on my ankle as a BUG for years back when I was a detective. Traded away, and that's one of the few I wish I would never have gotten rid of.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    This thread sure has me wanting another J. Carried one on my ankle as a BUG for years back when I was a detective. Traded away, and that's one of the few I wish I would never have gotten rid of.
    THAT'S MADNESS OF YOU!!!

What J did you carry and which one would you like to get now?
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    THAT'S MADNESS OF YOU!!!

What J did you carry and which one would you like to get now?
    Had the 642. Loved it.

I'm a dinosaur. I became a LEO when most were still carrying wheel guns, and lived through the great transition period to SA. After a couple of years of carrying SA as primary, I figured I'd switch to a SA as a BUG too. Being on county salary, I did not have the funds to keep the 642 AND buy a new SA for a BUG, so I traded it... Yeah... I know...

I'm really leaning towards that M&P PD 340 super light weight. No, I do not plan to shoot magnums, but at barely 12 ounces, it will make a great pocket BUG.

I'm not going to lie though... I am really looking over that new Kimber 6-shot .357 also... It clocks in at 24 ounces though, so it will probably be the PD 340.

Feedback Score
    Had the 642. Loved it.

I'm a dinosaur. I became a LEO when most were still carrying wheel guns, and lived through the great transition period to SA. After a couple of years of carrying SA as primary, I figured I'd switch to a SA as a BUG too. Being on county salary, I did not have the funds to keep the 642 AND buy a new SA for a BUG, so I traded it... Yeah... I know...

I'm really leaning towards that M&P PD 340 super light weight. No, I do not plan to shoot magnums, but at barely 12 ounces, it will make a great pocket BUG.

I'm not going to lie though... I am really looking over that new Kimber 6-shot .357 also... It clocks in at 24 ounces though, so it will probably be the PD 340.
    Well I hear ya, a tough choice never made anyone softer, right? I've handled but not fired the PD 340, it really is super light. The kimber and the new colt are both tempting, but as bugs the weight does limit their use a bit. Hopefully some good sales coming up with the Summer holidays.

Feedback Score
    Just found a no internal lock model PD 340. Hope to get to the range this weekend. I'm not sure if I'm going to try .357 or not in this. I hear the short barrel Gold Got is manageable out of this thing...

Feedback Score
    Just found a no internal lock model PD 340. Hope to get to the range this weekend. I'm not sure if I'm going to try .357 or not in this. I hear the short barrel Gold Got is manageable out of this thing...
    Whattya' mean ... "just found" ... as in you bought it? Sure sounds like it. If so, congrats to you sir!

I guess SW makes available their nicer stuff in 'no lock' versions. Regardless, glad you bumped into the no lock.

Yeah, 357 or not. I hear you. I guess if it was my gun I would shoot one cylinder full of 357, just to A) know what it does / how it & I handle it out of pure curiosity and B) Just to shake the gun down a bit, just in case.

I rent the range's Ruger snubbie to shoot 357 every once in a blue moon. That said, it doesn't take many cylinders full to know it's not something to do en mass.

I don't feel confident with it putting 5 fast rounds on target. I do feel adept at doing so with 38 standard or +P pressure.

I do believe Speer makes a special short barrel 38+ round, would seem like a winner.

Anywho's I ramble ... holler in and let me / us know.

And hey, since you're a Vet, my WWII Vet Corpsman Dad taught me to say "Thank you for keeping us unknowingly spoiled civilians safe from the those who do evil."
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 05-15-17 at 20:54.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Whattya' mean ... "just found" ... as in you bought it? Sure sounds like it. If so, congrats to you sir!
    Thanks! It's bitter-sweet. The LGS had one of the last "no lock" models a few weeks ago. I guess that verson is getting scarce. I couldn't make up my mind, so I did not buy it.. It sat there for weeks, so I figured I had time. Hey... No one is buying wheel guns now days, right? Wrong, I went back in today and it was gone. I was bummed, but with a little searching on the internet I found one NIB and it should ship to my FFL dealer shortly. Hopefully ready for pick-up by Friday. Heck yeah!! This things as light as a mouse gun, but shoots serious lead!

I guess SW makes available their nicer stuff in 'no lock' versions. Regardless, glad you bumped into the no lock. Yeah, 357 or not. I hear you. I guess if it was my gun I would shoot one cylinder full of 357, just to A) know what it does / how it & I handle it out of pure curiosity and B) Just to shake the gun down a bit, just in case. I rent the range's Ruger snubbie to shoot 357 every once in a blue moon. That said, it doesn't take many cylinders full to know it's not something to do en mass. I don't feel confident with it putting 5 fast rounds on target. I do feel adept at doing so with 38 standard or +P pressure. I do believe Speer makes a special short barrel 38+ round, would seem like a winner.

Anywho's I ramble ... holler in and let me / us know.
    Will do. Only one way to find out. Heck, even with .38 +P, I'll feel more confident than having an LCP II .380 in the pocket. Now that summer is here, I'd rather have five shots of .38 in my pocket, than 7 - 17 rounds of 9mm in my safe. Come winter, all bets are off.

And hey, since you're a Vet, my WWII Vet Corpsman Dad taught me to say "Thank you for keeping us unknowingly spoiled civilians safe from the those who do evil."
    My pleasure. I was just raised that way. Please thank your father in return.
    Last edited by Det-Sog; 05-15-17 at 21:28.

Feedback Score
    I'd agree, wouldn't think that first one would have been sold while I made up my mind. Glad it worked out and it's on its way. Yep, these are so easy to carry. Holler after you get to shoot it. You probably already know this, but when you get it check out the cylinder play and also, slowly pull the trigger and listen for the bolt locking into the cylinder before the hammer falls (timing).

Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast