Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Break my J frame.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Having an LCP... I've done it a few times, myself.

Feedback Score
    Very informative thread. Good read with lots of solid info.
    New guy here, so Greetings.

I've been a semiauto person for a long time (G19), but have never lost my attraction to a good reliable pocket revolver. I have a Model 640 Smith I've either pocket carried (BUG), occasionally IWB (NPE), since 1992.

I am seriously considering a 9mm LCR or a J Frame Smith conversion. But more reading to do first.

Thanks for the solid info and opinions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jamie

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JacksonJ View Post
    Very informative thread. Good read with lots of solid info.
    New guy here, so Greetings.

I've been a semiauto person for a long time (G19), but have never lost my attraction to a good reliable pocket revolver. I have a Model 640 Smith I've either pocket carried (BUG), occasionally IWB (NPE), since 1992.

I am seriously considering a 9mm LCR or a J Frame Smith conversion. But more reading to do first.

Thanks for the solid info and opinions.
    Welcome and all that. Didn't realize there was a slip on sleeve for revolver grips. The 9mm revolvers are tempting, I guess I can't get out of my head the possibility of the bullets jumping the crimp and locking the gun up. Can happen with revolver rounds I guess, but I've never heard of it.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    Thank you Patton.

On the slip on grip...I cheated. It's a slip on grip for a Bersa iirc. As I've never had an "original thought" in my life, credit goes to an old training buddy.

Your point is well taken as regards bullet jump. I (and "we" as in a couple of buds) cast, powder coat and handload primarily 9mm, in a volume sense anyway. We even made some 9mm rounds using .38 molds and resized them to .356, so a light crimp is an option if this proved to be an issue. OAL and stability related to it would or could be limiting factors. On SD rounds one could only hope the taper crimp would be strong enough.

One can read anything on the internet ... but I believe first hand experience is best. Hopefully I can swing a 9mm revolver soon and find out for myself in the near future.
    Jamie

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Welcome and all that. Didn't realize there was a slip on sleeve for revolver grips. The 9mm revolvers are tempting, I guess I can't get out of my head the possibility of the bullets jumping the crimp and locking the gun up. Can happen with revolver rounds I guess, but I've never heard of it.
    Problem is the crimp on semi-auto pistol rounds (9mm, .40, etc) allowing the bullet to move forward... out of the case.

In a five shot revolver, shoot four and see how the fifth looks. Really, you aren't going to have to worry about more than that. TheYankeeMarshal (YouTube) did some testing on different brands... Hornady came out on top (do have a very good crimp). My defensive round for my 642-1 is 147 grain XTP. I never tried Federal HST, but I'd think the larger companies would do better crimps on their defensive loads. If I decide to consider it, will test it out and see. Don't remember what the YouTube test showed for Federal... as I was already decided on Hornady when I saw the video. It just made me happier with my decision.

I did try it with UMC bulk 115 grain... and didn't have crimp jump after four rounds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogart View Post
    My one time shooting a 340PD was a miserable experience. It had a set of CT grips on it, though I don't know what model they were. It still beat my hand up and cut my thumb.
    The CT grips I've heard really help with the Airlite is the CT 405. These have a backing that is padded and runs up the entire length of the backstrap. This "should" fix that. The CT 105 are the same size as the stock grips and IMHO should have the same weaknesses.

My stock grips cut my hand too. I just wear gloves now when practicing and that solves the problem. The failure point "for me" is where the stock grips meet the backstrap at the top sides. The CT 405 grips cover that area with more rubber and padding.

So, I WAS going to order a set of these yesterday, but I went to the range and saw a killer deal on a Performance Center Shield 9 with the porting and custom trigger... Oh well. Maybe next payday for the grips...
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    OK. I installed the crimson trace LG-405 on the Airlite 340 PD... I'm a believer.

Now, there are probably cheaper options, but these things made the little biach managable. Before, just shooting standard pressure .38s would sting, +P would really sting, and .357 was sadistic.

With the LG 405s, .38s were do-able. I mean all day long. It was still as snappy as a 629 with full house .44 Mags, but do-able. +P 38s still stung a bit, but I did not have to put the gloves on until I shot the .357s. No matter what... Don't practice with .357s. Just go pee on the electric fence. Just keep the .357s for carry. The .357s were completely manageable, but not fun.

Now, I've never shot a wheel gun with a laser before. All I can say is wow... Just wow.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    If your 340 is like mine, try some of the Remington 148-grain wadcutters with it. Just really, really amazingly accurate, and easy to shoot as well.

Not just headshot accurate, but choose which eye socket you want to aim for. Really nice stuff with that gun.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    They are out of stock right now, but this is the load I was referring to:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/remi...s3-p-1456.aspx

Det-Sog, you might want to try a box of these, I think you will really enjoy the results in your pistol.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Ill have to find some of those. I haven't shot old school wad cutters since I last qualified as a trainee rookie at the academy in 1987. Good times.

Do you have issues getting the lead off the titanium cylinder? I've been shooting nothing but jacketed rounds in fear of lead buildup. I don't want to damage the coating on the TI.

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast