Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Break my J frame.

Feedback Score
    Det-Sog ... I'm the same, no lead rounds. I will use sometimes the semi-jacketed rounds, but no full lead. Revolvers take more time to clean to my satisfaction, so I'd rather not deal with lead and the harsh chemical to help remove it.

Some people may think a laser on a revolver is like tits on a bull, but that's only looking at it from one perspective.

One, it allows you to practice dry fire with real time feedback ... if you can keep that red dot relatively still on target through the trigger stroke, you're GTG. All your shooting will benefit from this practice

Two, to me, a laser is a powerful deterrent in situations where the bad guy is caught by surprise. It speaks a language that everyone understands.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    If your 340 is like mine, try some of the Remington 148-grain wadcutters with it. Just really, really amazingly accurate, and easy to shoot as well.

Not just headshot accurate, but choose which eye socket you want to aim for. Really nice stuff with that gun.
    That is a very accurate factory cartridge for a J Frame, no doubt about it. If a person doesn't reload, that is the go to ammunition. The bullet has outstanding accuracy. When I competed in PPC I shot tens of thousands of reloads with Remington 148g HBWC bullets.

For practice, if a person reloads, a quality lead bullet in the 125g to 158g range and Winchester 231 powder will produce sub 4" offhand groups at 25 yards. My J Frames run well with the SNS Casting coated 158g RNFP. If a person is recoil sensitive, reloads with the 125g RNFP are a bit more comfortable to shoot.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Since this is titled "Break my J-Frame"... OK. Something to watch for.

After just a hundred rounds or so on my 340 PD, I noticed the screw holding the cylinder release was backing out. I've heard this is fairly common with this model and checked for it when I cleaned it last night. Yup... Finger loose and backing out. I'll grab some blue locktite today and rectify this. Granted, I've been shooting +P and Magnum loads, so I've stressed it a bit. Check yours before you notice your cylinder release MIA. It can fall off never to be seen again...
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    i am glad i found this thread. i always felt bad for carrying s&w 640 with crimson trace grips. i would always get told it is not enough gun to carry, But at least i always carry it.
    Last edited by feesix; 08-09-17 at 18:33.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by feesix View Post
    i am glad i found this thread. i always felt bad for carrying s&w 640 with crimson trace grips. i would always get told it is not enough gun to carry, But at least i always carry it.
    Indeed. I think there's many who only carry when they feel they're going to be in a certain area of town, or certain public settings. Carrying a North American mini revolver full time beats only carrying now & then IMO.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    Feesix, Patton is correct. That 340 is plenty of weapon. 5 x .357 is plenty of firepower for the average mortal. If I'm ever worried that my j-frame won't be enough... I'll rethink where I'm going and WHY I'm going there in the first place.

I just put the laser on my 340 and loved it at the range. I really noticed a difference in the speed of putting rounds accurately on target with the CT grips. It was even more noticeable in a low light setting of the indoor range. They really helped. As Patton mentioned earlier, they will make a great dry-fire practice tool also. Now I need to go get some snap caps.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by feesix View Post
    Which is why they are called "Rule 1 guns". As is often said, the first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    Thanks. Ill have to find some of those. I haven't shot old school wad cutters since I last qualified as a trainee rookie at the academy in 1987. Good times.

Do you have issues getting the lead off the titanium cylinder? I've been shooting nothing but jacketed rounds in fear of lead buildup. I don't want to damage the coating on the TI.
    And that is exceedingly smart. I do use those lead wadcutters, but very sparingly. The rest of the time I use completely jacketed bullets, just as you mentioned.

From what I was told by several retired Louisiana State Troopers who were very sharp, is to never, ever use any metal brushes or ammonia-based solvents on a titanium cylinder. I don't use lead-away cloths, or anything else. Just a drop of CLP and a nylon brush.

I was told that if the protective coating is eaten through by metal brushes or harsh chemicals, each round fired after that will eat away at the cylinder.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I was told that if the protective coating is eaten through by metal brushes or harsh chemicals, each round fired after that will eat away at the cylinder.
    Correct. I believe it's referred to as "flame cutting". It will ruin the cylinder AND void the warranty. S&W will be able to tell if the protective coating was eaten through by improper maintenance.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    And I forgot to send you this link. This is FMJ that shoots almost the same POA/POI as the Speer Gold Dots I usually carry:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...0-p-77696.aspx

And it's nice and cheap.

Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast