Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Break my J frame.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fordtough25 View Post
    Hmm I'll have to look around for it, I do like Speer gold dots anyways. I hostile have a couple boxes of federal +p+ 9mm, smoking hot and fast Shew!! I'm looking forward to trying the various rounds, recoil isn't a concern really. Hopefully the trigger isn't horrible.
    Well now, this is timely for our discussion, not 357 but good empirical testing for 38 snubbie rounds

https://www.gun-tests.com/issues/24_...8#.WnRzz66nGCg

Also, I shot a revolver last night in a local IDPA competition. The pressure of the clock running didn't help my reloading skill on the first stage, to be sure! After that thou, I settled down and it went faster. Everyone else had a semi auto as usual, and I actually managed to not come in last, 15th out of 19, so I'm encouraged by that. It was a lot of fun, that's for sure, and I'll do again
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Well now, this is timely for our discussion, not 357 but good empirical testing for 38 snubbie rounds

https://www.gun-tests.com/issues/24_...8#.WnRzz66nGCg

Also, I shot a revolver last night in a local IDPA competition. The pressure of the clock running didn't help my reloading skill on the first stage, to be sure! After that thou, I settled down and it went faster. Everyone else had a semi auto as usual, and I actually managed to not come in last, 15th out of 19, so I'm encouraged by that. It was a lot of fun, that's for sure, and I'll do again
    Thanks for the link, very nice! I'm sure it was interesting, testing reloads under pressure is no small task. Glad it was fun though, I would like to try something like that as well! I remember my first competition, reload was ok but i shot the targets backwards. Lol

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link, very nice! I'm sure it was interesting, testing reloads under pressure is no small task. Glad it was fun though, I would like to try something like that as well! I remember my first competition, reload was ok but i shot the targets backwards. Lol
    Thanks. "Backwards" ... you mean you didn't 'slice the pie' in the correct order, or?
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    Holy cow, could they use a smaller font? It's interesting once you get it large enough to read.
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks. "Backwards" ... you mean you didn't 'slice the pie' in the correct order, or?
    Nah, it was a variety of targets that the range owner listed to shoot in order. Non USPSA or any sanctioned match, it was an old military weapons shoot. Pretty fun, ran a walther p38 and lee enfield! Did fine with the rifle but got excited when I loaded the walther and drilled the steel in reverse.

Feedback Score
    Nah, it was a variety of targets that the range owner listed to shoot in order. Non USPSA or any sanctioned match, it was an old military weapons shoot. Pretty fun, ran a walther p38 and lee enfield! Did fine with the rifle but got excited when I loaded the walther and drilled the steel in reverse.
    That does sound fun. In reverse order? That ain't nuthin ... all competition shooters have their "DOH!" moment

Feedback Score
    Glad you weren't scared off. Speer Gold Dot makes a 357 round designed for snubbie use. I've been unable to score some. It's not 'over the top' at all for SD use. About 300 ft pounds of impact force, so legit strength without the extra recoil and flash of a regular 357 round. Think of it as a 38 Special ++P
    Also try the two medium-power .357 loads I put in my LCR:

-Rem. Golden Saber 125 gr .357 (@1225 fps advertised from a 4 inch)

-Hornady 135 gr .357 Critical Duty (@1265 advertised 4-inch IIRC)

Both fit between .38 +p and .357 mag and are low-flash.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Also try the two medium-power .357 loads I put in my LCR:

-Rem. Golden Saber 125 gr .357 (@1225 fps advertised from a 4 inch)

-Hornady 135 gr .357 Critical Duty (@1265 advertised 4-inch IIRC)

Both fit between .38 +p and .357 mag and are low-flash.
    Thanks, good to know especially since I've never found the Speer in stock anywhere!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yes I know it, I've read the internets accounts and the horror! I think I'm getting a pretty good deal on it so I figured for the weight savings I would enjoy the option, but will most likely stick to 38+p mostly. I had a 642 for a long while and stupidly let it go last year, with my schedule and activities I am missing a j frame!
    I’ve shot full 158 / 125 grain Speer 357 GDHPs through the 640 I owned - it was a thumper but was completely manageable for 30-40 RDS before I’d start flinching.

The MP340 on the other hand... ran through 5 x 158 grain Speer GDHP. I wanted to stop at 3, since it was recoiling so hard the cylinder release cut into my thumb. But I stuck out 2 more to make it all 5. Never plan on doing that again except out of sheer necessity. 135gr 38+P GDHP Short Barrel works for all my J-frames.

I scored some of those 357 short barrel loads, also 135gr IRRC. Seemed to thread the needle between 38+P and full 357. However the cost of them vs the 38+P made them not really viable for me.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 02-02-18 at 15:55.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks for the info, theremismso kuch to learn with the short barreled 357!!!!

Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast