Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.45x39 AR15 as a primary rifle

Feedback Score

5.45x39 AR15 as a primary rifle

I'm looking to buy my first ar15. The thing is I don't currently own any other 223/5.56 rifles. I do however have two ak74's and a ton of 5.45x39. I'm strongly considering getting a s&w 5.45 upper to keep ammo commonality. I just can't see the point of buying 223/5.56 when its so similar to the 5.45 which I already have. So with all that said, is an ar15 in 5.45 something that you feel is reliable enough to be a primary rifle? If I go through with this and end up liking the AR better than the AK I would want to make it my primary rifle. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    go for it the pro's at this point in time out weight the con's.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'd even go one step further and look into getting a system like the MGI Hydra... with modular mag well that can be swapped out... and then have the ability to run the same mags across the board....

they do offer the AK74 mag well... so you could run the same mags in both your AK and AR....

if you so choose to run 5.56 later on... you can use the same lower, swap uppers and the mag well and you're good to go...

https://www.mgi-military.com/store/i...pe=&category=9
    Last edited by Reagans Rascals; 04-11-12 at 22:47.
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I agree and say go for it. Ammo commonality makes perfect sense given that you have 2 AK-74's. I don't forsee any AR replacing my AK's as primary but that is a personal choice. I suggest you read through the extensive 5.45 AR thread on here and digest the information. There are very good pointers on there from mags and mag mods to springs, maintenance, wear, corrosion and barrel life. Once you have the rifle dialed in the way you want it and it is performing as it should, there is no reason why you couldn't make it your primary. My first suggestion would be to purchase a bunch of mags as they are and will be the weakest link in the system. Mark them to keep track of their performance. Good luck.

O

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagans Rascals View Post
    I'd even go one step further and look into getting a system like the MGI Hydra... with modular mag well that can be swapped out... and then have the ability to run the same mags across the board....

they do offer the AK74 mag well... so you could run the same mags in both your AK and AR....

if you so choose to run 5.56 later on... you can use the same lower, swap uppers and the mag well and you're good to go...

https://www.mgi-military.com/store/i...pe=&category=9

I have to ask what benefit there could possibly be to using that system, when the only thing that is interchangeable would be the fire control group housing? I just don't see it. Cool toy, not-so-practical for real use...

Just get a Colt/BCM/DD/LMT/NRW/KAC carbine in 5.56 and be done with it...
    Last edited by DeltaSierra; 04-11-12 at 23:02.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSierra View Post

That really isn't practical in my opinion.

I'm going to disagree with everyone else here and say that a 5.45 as a primary is a horrible idea, and you should just get a 5.56.
    How is that a terrible idea if he is already familiar and comfortable with the 5.45 and already has a decent supply of ammunition

that round isn't called the Poison Bullet because it lacks lethality

what is a terrible idea is to suggest he invest in an entirely new platform , with entirely new manual of arms, and have to invest in an entirely new stock pile of ammo... simply because you feel the 5.56 is superior in some way
    Last edited by Reagans Rascals; 04-11-12 at 23:02.
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have to ask what benefit there could possibly be to using that system, when the only thing that is interchangeable would be the fire control group housing? I just don't see it. Cool toy, not-so-practical for real use...

what are you talking about?

It allows him to run anything on an AR type platform... instead of requiring one to purchase an entirely new weapon or lower, you simply purchase an upper(which is needed either way) and a mag well... and can then swap them as need be.... while also at the same time opening things up for 7.62x39, 9mm, .45ACP, 5.56 and 7.62x51, all on the same lower

the OP said he would like to keep 5.45x39 to keep commonality with his AK74... that system allows him to take it one step further and not need to purchase additional magazines to run the same ammunition... therefore if he is in a group and is running his AR in 5.45 and someone else there is running the AK74 they can easily exchange mags if needed...
    Last edited by Reagans Rascals; 04-11-12 at 23:15.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    How is that a terrible idea if he is already familiar and comfortable with the 5.45 and already has a decent supply of ammunition

that round isn't called the Poison Bullet because it lacks lethality

what is a terrible idea is to suggest he invest in an entirely new platform , with entirely new manual of arms, and have to invest in an entirely new stock pile of ammo... simply because you feel the 5.56 is superior in some way
    What doesn't make any sense to me is to want an "AR" and then try to turn it into an "ARK". If you want an AR, get an AR - not some gun that lets you use AK magazines in a distantly-AR-like package.

YMMV.

what are you talking about?

It allows him to run anything on an AR type platform... instead of requiring one to purchase an entirely new weapon or lower, you simply purchase an upper(which is needed either way) and a mag well... and can then swap them as need be.... while also at the same time opening things up for 7.62x39, 9mm, .45ACP, 5.56 and 7.62x51, all on the same lower

the OP said he would like to keep 5.45x39 to keep commonality with his AK74... that system allows him to take it one step further and not need to purchase additional magazines to run the same ammunition... therefore if he is in a group and is running his AR in 5.45 and someone else there is running the AK74 they can easily exchange mags if needed...
    What am I talking about? Well, by the time you buy a new upper and a new magazine well, you could have bought a new rifle... I don't understand having more uppers than you have lowers - the uppers don't work very well trying to hit the firing pin with a hammer...

As for the whole doomsday thing about if one of his buddies has spare mags... Well, I don't buy it. Even if I believed in that type of thing, it would make more sense from a logistics standpoint to have the far more common STANAG-compatible magazines that are used by the M16/AR15 rather than the rare, and expensive AK74 magazines.
    Last edited by DeltaSierra; 04-11-12 at 23:22.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What doesn't make any sense is to want an "AR" and then try to turn it into an "ARK". If you want an AR, get an AR - not some gun that lets you use AK magazines in a distantly-AR-like package.

YMMV.
    That's not what he asked. He didn't ask for input on a traditional AR, he asked for input running 5.45x39

I provided him with guidance along the same path he originally asked, you are providing him with an entirely different path

At least if he went with the system I suggested, he can easily swap to 5.56 later on if he so chooses, along with a few different other calibers.... if he just went with a standard 5.56.... he will have to purchase a new upper either way and still not have magazine commonality
    Last edited by Reagans Rascals; 04-11-12 at 23:21.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    That's not what he asked. He didn't ask for input on a traditional AR, he asked for input running 5.45x39

I provided him with guidance along the same path he originally asked, you are providing him with an entirely different path

At least if he went with the system I suggested, he can easily swap to 5.56 later on if he so chooses, along with a few different other calibers.... if he just went with a standard 5.56.... he will have to purchase a new upper either way and still not have magazine commonality

OK, so we disagree on what a practical weapon would be.

I generally like to abide by the principal that simpler is better. A standard AR in 5.56 is far simpler than an MGI rifle, so the decision would be very easy for me. I also fail to see the interest in being able to switch calibers, etc. If you want a rifle in _____ caliber, go get one. If you have to purchase a new magazine well and upper, you might as well spend a couple hundred more and get another complete rifle....

I didn't intend for my posts to be taken so far - I just wanted to give the OP another opinion (based on my experience.)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast