Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum handguards (tubes)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Aluminum handguards (tubes)

I'm looking to build a low-cost long-distance AR using 6.5 Grendel. I don't need rails on it, just a bipod stud, and was considering getting one of the plain tubular types. How hot do these get during firing?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The aren't going to get too hot firing a 6.5 unless you have a ton of money to burn. I just finished a Redback One class with my DDV7 and it didn't get too hot to run without gloves.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    So far, I've liked Rainier Arms' evolution rail. Comes with a heat sink that slips over the stock barrel nut. Works pretty good.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was still able to heat up the evolution rail so that when I touched it without gloves it was not pleasant. Round count and time frame make a difference.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thei3ug View Post
    I was still able to heat up the evolution rail so that when I touched it without gloves it was not pleasant. Round count and time frame make a difference.
    Don't get me wrong, it CAN heat up. It's just less prone to doing so.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Troy TRX or the Vtac are both GTG.

I have had them pretty warm in the past but nowhere near burning your hands...and they cool off pretty quick too
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    Troy TRX here and normal shooting building heat is not an issue at all but under small class conditions with constant fire I use light gloves.
    NRA Lifetime Member
    Firearms and Diesel Trucks....the left's worst nightmare!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I just happen to have an Alexander Arms composite tube handguard for sale. Pm me if interested. It's in the equipment exchange.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    My m4v7does not seem to get too hot, but like anyting else, if you do a few mag dumps it will get hot.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have found that weather conditions make a big difference. On a 100 degree plus summer day with the sun blaring down, a TRX extreme can get very hot very quickly. My DD and Centurion quad rails seem more resistant to overheating (probably due to the increased area acting as a radiator) even without heat shielding. I got some squid grips for my TRX, but have not done any high intensity shooting on a hot day with them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast