Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Colt M16A1 (653)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Vintage Colt M16A1 (653)

Once in awhile, something interesting crosses the bench. This week, it was a Colt M16A1 carbine, model 653. It’s in excellent condition, transferable, and according to the owner, only in need of a “check over.”

New manufacture NFAs are a dime a dozen, and it’s good to see the older stuff once in awhile. It’s also validation of the methods of manufacture and assembly used by the GTG makers. Good guns built properly just keep going.

Offered here for the knowledge base and for the retro guys in particular. Enjoy.

Serial number 928####

Side views

Working back from the muzzle… A1 birdcage hider, C MP B barrel marking, 14.5” LW .625 barrel, small diameter hand guards, single heat shields, flat slip ring

Front sight assembly unmarked, five position round FSP, round hand guard cap

Chrome bore and chamber. It passes Ned’s gauge, no surprise. I couldn’t find my throat erosion gauge.

BCG, BC marked C, MPC marked bolt, extractor with four coil spring and white insert. Passes the FP protrusion gauge

2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lower receiver group

Auto fire control group

Auto sear and spring legs

Lower receiver, fenced, mag release

Upper receiver

Stamps

Tear drop forward assist, no case deflector

A1 rear sight, CH forge marking

Stock group

Two position collapsible stock, aluminum butt stock (unmarked)

Not dramatically different than current production, but a piece of history nonetheless. It’s unfortunate that what once cost the original owner only several hundred dollars to own will now cost someone else $18,000 - $25,000 to enjoy.
    Last edited by ST911; 10-14-12 at 11:39.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Great specimen!
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Your new truck gun?

Seriously, it's a great weapon. As someone that grew up with iron sights, I can appreciate at how light and handy that carbine is.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for taking the time to post pics, its a shame this family of weapons has been restricted from us.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very cool! I saw a similar transferable at a range a while back. It Makes me want to build a clone now lol. There's a certain beauty to the old school AR family.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Awesome! I want one...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice carbine.

Just a note, have them replace the buffer with a new one......those buffers with the golden colored end bumper and the really nice golden green color anodizing are from the early 1970's, which matches the C MP B barrel code.

That is an original carbine 14.5 incher since the taper is still there at the flash hider point.........also nice factory paint dabs on the bolt hold open roll pin and stake points at the collapsible stock nut........Colt's old hand on the CAR15 series, Dick Welch would be proud.

Keep the buffer since it is correct with that rifle, but if the owner should ever want to snap some caps downrange - they would like a newer buffer.

Great original condition Carbine..........makes me want my old M16A1 carbine......great shooters.......
    Last edited by SpartanDCI; 01-25-13 at 12:11.
    Your Helmet Will Not Protect You If You Are a Dumb Ass!

Feedback Score
    do you recommend a modern buffer to save wear and tear on the lower or wear and tear on the shooter?

Feedback Score
    nice rifle! i love old school M16s. so much character.

heres mine:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast