Thread: Info on a Colt 6450

Feedback Score

Info on a Colt 6450

I am getting conflicting information about my Colt 9mm AR
    I called Colt and they had no information to give me other than it may have been manufactured in 1995 or 1995.

It has a TA prefix on the Serial Number which is TA11216 and has a sear block. the front take down pin is the screw in type. It has a 2 position stock that looks like a typical Colt AR, and has a bayonet lug. Some forums say it is pre-ban law enforcement others say it is post-ban. the picture attached shows the left side of the receiver. the right side has no markings at all. I bought it from a former cop here in S. FL. It was his patrol car rifle. It came with 2 Spikes 30 round mags and I picked up some more MetalForm mags. It shoots great and I really enjoy it, I just would like to know more about it. Is it a 6450 or maybe a 6430? I don't know. Any info you can offer is greatly appreciated. I would like to eventually SBR it. I have changed it somewhat. It has a Magpul forend, more ergonomic grips from UTG that feel great in the hand, and a six position collapsable stock at the moment.

Last edited by handlebar; 10-07-12 at 09:10.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a 6520 I had, it was made after the ban in 94 but before they started marking them LEO.

Feedback Score
    It is a 9mm, not a 5.56. the 6520 is 5.56.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sweet gun!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    It is a 9mm, not a 5.56. the 6520 is 5.56.
    No kidding? I wondered how you was stuffing those big shells in that tiny magazine...

I was answering to the first part of your question of it being post or preban. Yes Colt made some AR's (in both calibers) during the ban without marking them but the lady I spoke with at Colt didn't know how many were built or how long it went on. I guess you could pay the folks at Colt for a letter.

Feedback Score
    Nice piece, I believe you have a model 6450. Check out the below sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15_variants

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/ar15serial.html

Please get out the vote.