Thread: Good Excel Inventory Template

Feedback Score

Good Excel Inventory Template

Hey Everybody,

I was looking in the beautiful search orange button and didn't find anything about, but wanted to know if a few of you keep track of your inventory manually (pen and spreadsheet) or in a computer in excel.

The reason I ask is because I was in the process of creating something simple and easy to read/understand and was looking to see if you have one that can contribute to make a better one.

Thank you.
    Everybody wanna be like mike!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I do use Excel but it is highly specific to my situation. I have a worksheet for ammo and components with a section for each caliber. Within each caliber I have a row for target levels and the next row are actuals. The columns are for amounts such as:
    Reserve ammo can, target ammo can, target bullets, ammo on rifles, Go Bag ammo, Ready ammo can, Range ammo can, bulk bullets, empty cases, total ammo, total cases, and notes (I comment on next buy priority, what is in transit, etc.).

I also use cell comments to note important changes needed to reach target levels, etc. Within each Actual amount cell I list the number of each bullet type in that ammo can: e.g., Target Bullets Can cell might be 600 BTHP68, 450 BTHP69, 275 SGK65, 320 BTHP75, 100 BTHP77 = 1,745.

The sections for .223 and .30-06 are the most complicated because those are they ones I shoot the most and have the most variety and quantity.

I have another worksheet for primer inventory that has primer type in each row and columns for location (reloading drawer, small primer bin, large primer bin, shelf bin) and grand totals. Similar worksheet for powder.

Another worksheet for magazines, sectioned by firearm type (Glock, HP35, 1911, AR15, etc.). For most I just have totals by material and capacity (blued/SS, 13 rd, 15 rd, etc) within each firearm. Except for the AR15 and then I have columns to note material (Alum., plastic, steel), Manufacturer, color, and capacity. Then I have calculated totals for each of color, material, capacity.

My firearms inventory I keep on my iPhone in Gun Log+.

Being in the software development field I would recommend you keep it as simple as possible and only add to it as the need arises. For instance, most of my firearms and ammo is pretty simply tracked because I only have one type of bulk ammo in one location, and one type of target ammo and components in one location and there is not so much turnover. I can easily see for M1 Carbine I have 500 rds factory FMJ, 300 rds factory SP, 300 rds handload FMJ, 200 rds handload SP, 500 FMJ bullets, and zero empty cases. I don't shoot it that much so however many thousands small rifle primers I have for .223 are good enough to cover my M1 Carbine needs as well. The carbine is sensitive to just the right amount of powder so I only have to stock W296. Not much tweaking to do there.

On the other hand I go through a lot more .223 ammo and components and so they get stored in more locations and I have to keep track of more details so I know when I am running low in target or bulk stuff. Depending experimenting and on availability and good deals I end up with a lot more bullet types: 55 FMJ, 62 FMJ, 60 SP, 65 SP, 68 BTHP, 69 BTHP, 75 BTHP, 77 BTHP. With that bullet range I need two ranges of powder, with H335 and Varget my favorites, but also H4895 and BL-C2 as secondaries. So this spreadsheet section is much more detailed. Ditto for .30-06.
    Last edited by NWPilgrim; 02-04-13 at 00:17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    I do use Excel but it is highly specific to my situation. I have a worksheet for ammo and components with a section for each caliber. Within each caliber I have a row for target levels and the next row are actuals. The columns are for amounts such as:
    Reserve ammo can, target ammo can, target bullets, ammo on rifles, Go Bag ammo, Ready ammo can, Range ammo can, bulk bullets, empty cases, total ammo, total cases, and notes (I comment on next buy priority, what is in transit, etc.).

I also use cell comments to note important changes needed to reach target levels, etc. Within each Actual amount cell I list the number of each bullet type in that ammo can: e.g., Target Bullets Can cell might be 600 BTHP68, 450 BTHP69, 275 SGK65, 320 BTHP75, 100 BTHP77 = 1,745.

The sections for .223 and .30-06 are the most complicated because those are they ones I shoot the most and have the most variety and quantity.

I have another worksheet for primer inventory that has primer type in each row and columns for location (reloading drawer, small primer bin, large primer bin, shelf bin) and grand totals. Similar worksheet for powder.

Another worksheet for magazines, sectioned by firearm type (Glock, HP35, 1911, AR15, etc.). For most I just have totals by material and capacity (blued/SS, 13 rd, 15 rd, etc) within each firearm. Except for the AR15 and then I have columns to note material (Alum., plastic, steel), Manufacturer, color, and capacity. Then I have calculated totals for each of color, material, capacity.

My firearms inventory I keep on my iPhone in Gun Log+.

Being in the software development field I would recommend you keep it as simple as possible and only add to it as the need arises. For instance, most of my firearms and ammo is pretty simply tracked because I only have one type of bulk ammo in one location, and one type of target ammo and components in one location and there is not so much turnover. I can easily see for M1 Carbine I have 500 rds factory FMJ, 300 rds factory SP, 300 rds handload FMJ, 200 rds handload SP, 500 FMJ bullets, and zero empty cases. I don't shoot it that much so however many thousands small rifle primers I have for .223 are good enough to cover my M1 Carbine needs as well. The carbine is sensitive to just the right amount of powder so I only have to stock W296. Not much tweaking to do there.

On the other hand I go through a lot more .223 ammo and components and so they get stored in more locations and I have to keep track of more details so I know when I am running low in target or bulk stuff. Depending experimenting and on availability and good deals I end up with a lot more bullet types: 55 FMJ, 62 FMJ, 60 SP, 65 SP, 68 BTHP, 69 BTHP, 75 BTHP, 77 BTHP. With that bullet range I need two ranges of powder, with H335 and Varget my favorites, but also H4895 and BL-C2 as secondaries. So this spreadsheet section is much more detailed. Ditto for .30-06.
    Holy Jesus Loving Christ!

Wow, I dont know how you haven't become crazy with such thing (lol) but jokes aside that is really interesting to know. Like I said I am in the process of creating a spreadsheet and the purpose is to create several sheet within the document where you have track of everything. You dont mind sharing? sharing is caring haha.

I was thinking of the following within a excel document:

-Food
    -Security (Gun-Ammo-Magazine)
    -First Aid Kit
    -Informational Data (Such as how many cups in a can etc..)

*With the food one we can sort it with categories or make additional sheet with the following:

-Cans
    -Buckets
    -Jars
    -Box

That is what I was thinking for now. How does it look so far?
    Everybody wanna be like mike!

Feedback Score
    I use excel for everything because of the formulas you can have that remove the mundane math. But every spread sheet is specific to my needs. I have even used it for mosaic tile work because it can count the different colored tiles used and add it to a chart automatically as I tried different patterns.

Have thought it would be nice to take an advanced excel course to learn more complicated formulas, but to this point I have just taught myself as I go.
    Last edited by ddseeker; 04-05-13 at 14:33.