Thread: Post-Tinkering AAR: KAC/BCM 16" middy

Feedback Score

Post-Tinkering AAR: KAC/BCM 16" middy

I've been fiddling around with my rifle in an effort to see how much I could mitigate recoil and muzzle rise. The latest addition was an A5 stock and buffer kit. The difference from the old H2 buffer was profound.

Components:
    KAC IWS lower w/ KAC 2-stage match trigger
    BCM 16" mid-gas upper w/ 13" Troy Alpha rail
    Burris MTAC 1-4x optic w/ LT104 mount
    Vltor A5 stock/buffer kit
    Battlecomp 2.0

Remington .223 JUST barely cycled in the gun. I had a few short strokes occur with the A5 that never happened before with my old H2 buffer and milspec RE, so I am assuming that was just due to variations in the cheap plinking ammo. XM193/855-spec ammo should work just fine. I'd have tried it out if I hadn't left it at home by mistake. I'll update later when I get some time to go back.

Results:
    The A5 really made the already tame recoil much milder. It was amazing how quickly I could put round after round into a 2" circle at 21yds. The Alpha rail and optic add a bit of weight to the gun, so that doesn't hurt at all, obviously. I am really impressed with the BattleComp, as well. I've used it in a few classes now, and it performed very well. I credit it with helping me win a dueling tree match at the end of one of them. The MTAC is a fantastic optic for this kind of gun. The 1x setting is very close to matching a no-magnification red-dot optic. The reticle is well designed and can be used easily for quick acquisition or moderate distances. However, it's a little heavier than I'd like, so it will go on my SCAR-17 when it arrives, and I'll likely replace it with a T-1.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Nice looking build and good write up.

Feedback Score
    hows the cut down RVG working out for you

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jbasas13 View Post
    hows the cut down RVG working out for you
    Very well. It has just enough surface area for grip and bracing against objects, but it has less length to dodge when returning the support hand after a reload.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah that cut down vertical grip looks nice. Sweet build. I thought about cutting down my RVG into more of a knob, with rounded edges. I figure if it was long enough to allow me to maintain a strong grip, it would be more functional for reloads and malfunctions as opposed to a longer, more traditional vertical grip.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why not just get a handstop instead of a vert grip. Sounds like you're using it as a reference point anyway