Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Costa Catalyst Extended Mag Release Arrived...

Feedback Score

My Costa Catalyst Extended Mag Release Arrived...

Received my Costa Ludus / 21st Century Gunfighter "Catalyst" extended mag release for the Smith and Wesson M&P handguns today...

Promptly installed it in my M&P 9mm and can say that despite being a just small light piece of plastic, it's almost worth the $30 it cost shipped to my door. The price is indeed a damn bit absurd but it's also the only extended mag release for the M&P and there are also only two vendors selling it on the Internet right now from what I've seen, so they can pretty much charge whatever they want for it and if you want one, you'll pay it.

So what's it look like installed?

I have read questions from others here asking if it interferes with the use of Raven Concealment Phantom holsters or Comp-Tac MTAC holsters. I carry with both and the holster's trigger guard stops short of the mag release area so, no - it does not interfere and use of those holsters does not cause the mag to eject by accident.

I also tried it with my TT Gunleather and my Occidental Leather Company IWB holsters and it worked just fine with them for the same reason.

Overall I am very pleased. The extended release allows me to drop the mag without breaking my primary hold on the firearm. I have short little Shrek fingers anyway, so this is a huge improvement for me. It's very similar to the Vickers Tactical extended release for the Glock series and I love that on my Glock 19, so... this is a winner.

I'd like to buy about three more of these for our other M&Ps but that'd be nearly $100 in plastic and I'm not about to do it. I may pick up one a month for the next few months, but the price seriously is out of line and out of reach of most people I'm afraid. Which is a shame because it is truly a damn good upgrade.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    And if it's "too" big people can always file it down to suit their needs.

About the price....I just blew through $150 worth of ammo on Monday...$30 meh.
    Last edited by dougwg; 10-17-12 at 21:05.
    Doug Holloway
    ATEi

Feedback Score
    Agreed on all points. I see this as an investment in making my daily carry a better weapon, more suited to my baby-carrot fingers. It also works perfectly as a means of ejecting the magazine by placing the firearm mag-release-side down on a hard surface and pressing on the firearm.

A technique taught for one-handed "wounded" drills where you must learn to manipulate the firearm's various controls one-handed as though you were impaired from an injury, etc.

Again, the Vickers release on the Glocks do this quite well. This release does it just as well on the M&P.

Expensive for what it is, yes. A worthwhile investment, yes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anyone have compatibility information on this for Safariland duty holsters?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Anyone have compatibility information on this for Safariland duty holsters?
    I don't know what holster you're using but I'm using the 6360 (weapons light version) for my M&P 40. There's roughly 3/8" of clearance between the holster and stock mag release.
    My holster model number is 6360-2192

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tungsten View Post

I have read questions from others here asking if it interferes with the use of Raven Concealment Phantom holsters or Comp-Tac MTAC holsters. I carry with both and the holster's trigger guard stops short of the mag release area so, no - it does not interfere and use of those holsters does not cause the mag to eject by accident.
    Thank you Tungsten! I appreciate your pics, and for testing it in an MTAC. I agree $30 is steep, it certainly is for my personal budget, but maybe in a few months or a year it will either be cheaper, available used, or cloned...I can hope so anyway!
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your post Tungsten. I have a Costa Catalyst on loan from a friend so I figured I'd snap some quick photos.

I have large hands so I didn't think I would need it, and after installing it my first impression was it extended too far out... but the more I use it the more I LIKE IT! I don't have to change my grip at all when doing magazine changes.

Works fine in my Safariland holster and White Hat holster with "combat" cut. It does poke out a bit on my CC rig. I'll have to carry it for awhile to see if that is an issue for me.

Last edited by AO520; 11-18-12 at 00:24.
    -AO

Feedback Score
    Good lord that thing looks like it sticks out a mile.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How does it work for carry? Looks like it might actuate, but I have never been a real fan of the larger releases.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have been running one since they came out in several AIWB rigs with no accidental mag release. Compact and fullsize 9mm.

JRC-AIWB
    Predators Keeper
    JM Kydex

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast