Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wife's First Build: DD, Rainier, SAA, PSA, and Magpul.

Feedback Score
    You said your wife loves the SWFA, I currently have a TR24 on my personal gun (which is very similar to this one). I have been eyeballing the SWFA 1-6 whenever it becomes available.

What's your impression of it?
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    So far, so good. It's the nicest optic I've personally owned, so I couldn't objectively compare it to anything of similar or better quality. I was looking at the Meopta ZD, but there was a group buy on SWFA SS kits set up with Sniper's Hide and a lot of solid recommendations for the SWFA. I got the scope, Bobro mount, cat-tail, and covers for about the same price the scope normally runs itself. (That was a year ago, so I doubt they still have that deal.)

It is quite solid, it feels very sturdy, and the zoom and focus rings are nice and tight, so no worries about accidentally bumping them away from where you set them. The zoom ring works best with a cat-tail, if you want to change things up faster and smoother. The glass is very nice, it's very sharp at 200 yards. (The longest range I have used it at.) It's a second plane reticle, I don't know if the 1-6 will be as well. At 4X the markings of the reticle are very easy to see, and with illumination on, the whole/visible part of the reticle is lit up, at 1X and illuminated, only the center portion is lit up.

With the illumination on and at 1X, it works well as a CQB/RDS-style optic, with very little abberation with both eyes open. There is some, vs. an Aimpoint or EOTech, but it's only noticeable if you look for it. It is a little less forgiving vs. an RDS/HWS if you are not looking 'just right' due to the tube length, of course.

I would certainly consider another SWFA in the future. I only gave it up to her because she was more comfortable shooting it than anything else she had tried (on other people's rifles) and I prefer the 'faster' dedicated RDS for quick up-close shooting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Beautiful rifle, jet!!

Feedback Score
    I want.

Tell the wife to keep with the AFG. I used one on my last deployment. Once I found the right placement for it, well it became indispensable. It is the forward grip for people who don't like forward grips. I liked how it helped me aim in the prone palm forward, kneeling with my palm using it how you already think to use it (palm up), and it allowed quick transition to use my magwell as a grip or reload.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the comments! She's pretty happy with the way it turned out, there's nothing so far that she regrets putting on it or doesn't like the feel or function of.

She is still liking the AFG, so I think it will be staying. We did swap out the gritty GI trigger with an ACT, much smoother. Going to try and get to the range this weekend to try it out.

It does look like she'll be dropping the bipod idea, though. Once I found out that was just for times we bench shoot, I said 'just use the rest we already have.' So that should help keep the front-end lighter, and she can spend that money on something else, like a weapon light.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12