Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife's First Build: DD, Rainier, SAA, PSA, and Magpul.

Feedback Score

Wife's First Build: DD, Rainier, SAA, PSA, and Magpul.

Se had completed the lower a couple of weeks ago, so no 'before' pic of the lower parts. It's a Surplus Ammo & Arms lower with a PSA LPK and Magpul furniture. The upper was ordered in pieces from BCM and Rainier Arms. It's a DD mid-length LW CHF 16" w/pinned-on lo-pro gb, BCM BCG and Gunfighter CH (Mod 3, for better access under the scope.) The upper and rail are from Rainier Arms, with the rail being the 15" Evolution.

It has a Troy Claymore on it for now, she wanted to try a brake and I had it in my box o' parts. At some point it will be getting a bipod for her to use for a little more distance shooting. I bought a set of BUIS for it, but she is going to go without them, for now. I originally bought the 1-4X SWFA for one of my carbines, but I've decided to stick with RDS (Aimpoint PRO on the way for me) on mine. She loves this scope, so that worked out for the best.

She also wanted to try the AFG, after shooting someone else's rifle with one, so the jury is still out on that one. She didn't like the vertical grip, after trying a few located at different points on the rails.

I assisted her with some of the nuances, like lining up the bbl nut for the gas tube and the final timing of the brake, but she did the bulk of the build. It really helps someone to see how the whole rifle works when you put all of the pieces together yourself. Being a trad. reservist and formerly active duty (USAF for both,) she has to handle weapons from time to time for qualifying, so she's familiar with the basic operation. This is the first time she's ever had one down this far to 'nuts and bolts,' so she has whole new perspective on it now.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That looks great. How does she like the rail?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Looks good. Why'd you choose the 15" handguard over say an 11"?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankMonkey View Post
    That looks great. How does she like the rail?
    She likes the feel of it so far, but we won't be able to hit the range until Monday. Then we'll see what she thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Looks good. Why'd you choose the 15" handguard over say an 11"?
    She wanted as much of the barrel covered as possible, and with as light as this rail is, the extra weight is pretty much negligible. I have a 16" with a carbine-length rail and a 14.5 (pinned FH) with a RIS II M4A1 rail. After shooting both for a while, she liked having less exposed barrel and so she can reach out farther. She's not Amazon tall but she's above average height for a woman, so she's got a little extra reach.

Thanks for the comments. We'll see how it evolves, now that she has an AR rifle of her own. I'm expecting that we'll be moving that AFG further out, or completely off, before it's all said and done.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice! Congrats.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Hard to beat the SAA lowers. Solid dimensions and a great price point. I've used 'em on 5 different builds thus far.
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    Cool.

Feedback Score
    I went to zero the scope, had to just settle for 'close enough' today. Gusty winds made it hard to get a zero I was confident with so I zeroed it to at least be 'shootable.' Looks like it needs to come right a little more, maybe even down a bit, but I wasn't going to blaze away more rounds than I needed to with all of the wind. XM855 was used, fore-end resting, stock to shoulder, scope on 4X.

200 yds group, to see how 'close' it really was. (The benched+rest groups at 25 rough-zero and 100 actual always look 'pretty good'...)

Observation on the build: Maybe it's because it's brand spankin' new, but this PSA trigger feels grittier than my first one and it makes the OEM in my 6920 feel like a match-grade trigger.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    How's the quality of the upper? Not to many places have uppers in stock but just saw Rainier Arms has some.
    Co-Owner - Tier One Defense
    Custom Rifle Builders
    www.tieronedefense.com

LE Firearms Instructor
    Glock LE Armorer
    Colt AR15/M16 Armorer

Feedback Score
    I also went with it because it was hard to find other good brands at reasonable prices at the time. (BCM was on my short list, but they were out of stock at the time.) It's very good, I don't see any discernible differences between my Colt or BCM uppers in terms of quality, fit and finish, etc. I'd buy another, as well as recommend them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast