Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me with my Indecisiveness!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Help me with my Indecisiveness!!

I am a proud owner of an AR15 I originally bought it because I could not pass up the amazing deal I got for my first rifle. I purchased it from my local gun club/forum for an awesome deal of 580buck it came with a 20 inch stainless super bull Rguns Upper with free float rifle length handguard and a Surplus Ammo and arms complete lower Originally with an A2 Stock which I recently swapped out to a 6 position Collapsible carbine stock.

I also recently picked up a complete .223 DPMS A2 Upper for 200 without a BCG or Charging handle which was also a steal.

However the problem lies with me going hunting soon and purchasing this rifle for the purpose of hunting and well having a great range toy.

I have been a huge pistol guy for a few years and shoot IDPA.

So I want to turn this rifle into an all arounder of which I can take to 3gun competitions and mount my scope back on and hunt with it when I need to.

However with my "hunting" upper it has this dumb cyclindrical handguard that is ridiculously heavy and uncomfortable to shoot without a bipod or probably a vertical grip handle, but in order to do that I need a picatinny rail.. The upper is more accurate then I am as a shooter as its capable of hitting a bullseye with 3 inch groupings at 400 yards. As of right now I am barely capable of doing that at a 100 as I have not had a lot of practice.

The hardest dilemma I have is wanting a flat-top A3 upper with so I can mount both a scope for hunting and tactile sight for competitions

So here are my options

Get a free float quadrail handguard for the 20 inch upper
    Finding some way to get a picatinny onto the current handguard and keep it
    keep the upper but buy a Chrome lined Carbine barrel DSA ZM4 16" Barrel
    Put it on my rguns upper and be happy with it
    Keep my upper the way that it is. Use it for hunting and sell my DPMS upper and shell out another 100bucks to buy this
    http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-A3-Upp...M4CBUM4PARKCL/
    Sell/trade both uppers for a nicer high end A3 Upper from Spikes or some other well known big name brand
    Or buy another lower and use the DPMS upper on it for two separate different use rifles
    Last edited by The Lance; 10-30-12 at 17:46.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Sell both uppers and get something of better quality.

Oh, and ditch that cheap red dot unless you want to constantly lose your zero.
    Last edited by CodeRed30; 10-30-12 at 18:05. Reason: PS
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hope you have thick skin because it might get rough for you here soon.

a complete .223 DPMS A2 Upper for 200 without a BCG or Charging handle which was also a steal.
    Two things... A complete upper has the BCG and charging handle, I wouldn't say one without is complete. Two, I'm not sure $200 for a DPMS barrel and an A2 forging is a steal. It's not a rip-off, but surely not a steal. $50 would be a steal.

As per your questions:

What is it you think a quadrail is going to get you on that 20"?
    A2 handguards don't mount optics well. Replace the upper if you want optics.
    I don't know who makes DSA's barrel but I haven't heard them recommended compared to DD, Colt, Noveske, Etc.
    I would agree you sink as little money as possible into this setup
    I would avoid Spikes personally, I would suggest you consider them mid-level at best
    I would sell anything I could that came from DPMS, esp parts like barrel, bolt/carrier,

Feedback Score
    I agree with CodeRed30, except i would probably sell the whole weapon and the DPMS upper to fund a quality replacement. Seeing as this is your first plunge into ARs though... I'd keep it stock, shoot it, learn and evolve as needed.
    Last edited by Col_Crocs; 10-30-12 at 18:49.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is a free float barrel/forend really that much more accurate?

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    What do you hunt?

Id definitely sell both uppers. There's a colt 6720 upper in ee right now.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would only hunt white tail and smaller animals with an AR.. I haven't hunted in ten years. So this will be my first trip in a while

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lance View Post
    Is a free float barrel/forend really that much more accurate?
    In the hands of a good shooter, yes it can be. For your average shooter, probably not discernible. A basic rifle suited me just fine for years. As my time behind the trigger stacked up in the tens of thousands of rounds, the transition to better triggers, rails, and barrels allowed me to continue to refine my skills. Still, the money spent on the thousands of rounds did much more for me than the upgraded components.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well guys thanks for the help I will try to sell both uppers very soon after my hunting trip this and and purchase that DSA upper to start.

I don't want to sink a ton of money into it until I get better with the extra money I think I'm gonna get an aim point sight and be done with it for a while
    Last edited by The Lance; 10-30-12 at 19:19.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    This doesn't sound like indecisiveness…It sounds like…I just ****ed up and bought a bunch of shit I really didn't want but decided to do it anyway because i was being cheap so help me out and TELL ME I'm wrong.

That's just my opinion of course.

Stop…Get rid of the things you have…and follow the link below.

https://ambushfirearms.com/shop/rifles.html

You want a rifle for hunting, range and 3 gun, they have one for you. Also they're built by an extremely reputable company that's talked about a lot here.

This is all just my own opinion to the question(s) you asked.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lance View Post
    SNIP…….

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast