Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CMP m1 garand in 308

Feedback Score

CMP m1 garand in 308

Looking at putting in an order for a cmp special garand. I have the option for 308 and 30-06. Im thinking the 308 may be a better alternative in the future when surplus 30 dries up. Anyone own one of these? I want to know if they are as reliable and durable as the 30-06 version and if they are sensitive to any ammo types. Thanks in advance for any help.

Feedback Score
    Surplus 7.62 NATO isn't any more plentiful than .30-06 surplus.

Unless you are going to use an adjustable gas cylinder lock screw, you should probably stick to ammunition loaded to M59/M80/M118 pressure levels... heavy use of commercial hunting ammunition will result in increased wear.

With a free floating firing pin, you also have the possibility of having a slam fire with commercial ammunition. You may never have a problem, but it only takes one round firing out of battery to make it a really bad day for you and the rifle.

If the rifle does not already have one installed, a 7.62 NATO spacer block for the clip well is a good idea... it prevents someone from loading a clip of .30-06 into the rifle.

Feedback Score
    I have a couple of .308 Garands. One is a match rifle, and the other is a regular old do-all rifle that I've used in classes, 3-gun, as a car gun, etc.
    I like it a a car gun because it should do anything I need done, I don't need to worry too much about any state laws that forbid it, with the action separated from the stock it fits in my rolling suitcase, clips store easy, etc, etc.

They basically work the same as a .30-06 one. About the only difference is the brass comes out in a slightly different direction (more like 1:00 than around 2:00-3:00).

No change is needed. Just the barrel. Some commercial .308 barrels need to gas port opened slightly. The Navy experimented with .308 Garands quite a bit (match and otherwise) and they ended up settling on a larger port diameter. That dimension escapes me right now, but I'll edit it in later. I don't know what port size the CMP is using, but if it's standard -06 size, I'd try it that way first before taking a drill to it. My match one works fine with the -06 port, but my GI-style one did not. I opened it up a little- not quite as much as Navy specs.

Some people clip a coil or two from the ejector because the cases fly a little farther. I don't. Let 'em fly.

The spacer block is unnecessary. Or should be. It's not needed for function, and some say they actually cause harm. I don't know, but by looking at it, I can see it could cause done interference or binding with the follower system. I have seem the plastic ones broken from use, so something is bearing hard against it. There are steel ones out there too, and I wouldn't touch one of those. If using any, I'd use the plastic so it would break instead of something important.

I guess the spacer keeps one from shoving a clip of 06 in, but unless you have an 06 Garand, there should be little chance of that. If clip confusion is an issue- One of the regulars on Culver's Garand forum that took rear sight covers and laser engraved them "7.62 MM". It may not help much when loading eyes-off, but if grabbing one from a rack of 06s, it might help. I think it looks kinda cool, which is sometimes the important thing. I don't think that guy makes then anymore, but I'd think you could get your own sight cover engraved. I did the fancy mod of using a silver Sharpie to write ".308" on one of mine.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info guys. The cmp installs the spacer block from the get go. I had already read up on them being a no go. I figured the heavier loads in 308 would be an issue as well. I may just roll with the 06 and start reloading if getting appropriate ammo in 308 is an issue. I have seen a few adjustable gas plugs online, which would you recommend? Id rather not have to use one but if I cant find surplus or the specialty loaded factory stuff I might as well have one lying around.

Barry I get where your coming from with it being an all around rifle. That is my plan as well. I travel to see family often and wont have to worry about communist laws in some states. Also I never thought about breaking it down to fit in a travel bag, good idea.

Feedback Score
    I've had my Arlington Ordnance .308 Garand since the mid 1990's, i like it, built right it'll never have a hiccup.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get both. You can't go wrong with either. I have sevral in 30-06 and two in 7.62. They are just great. I enjoy shooting them a little more than the black rifle but I don't shoot them that much.

Dan
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When I enquired about this over on the Camp Perry forums last year (IIRC and I may not), but I thought they were saying there is much more 30-06 surplus out there than 308... you might go over there and check with those guys

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link Ill check that out. As far as getting both, I wish but not with 3 little ones to feed. Again thanks for all the input.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddawg5777 View Post
    Thanks for the link Ill check that out. As far as getting both, I wish but not with 3 little ones to feed. Again thanks for all the input.
    I feel your pain there. I've got two little ones and they aren't cheap either but think of it as an investment. They aren't making any more and safer than the stock market.

Then get the 30-06. Greek surpluss is decent right now from CMP. I believe that it is $98.00 plux shipping for 200 rounds. You really can't beat that.

Dan
    Support your local Deputy.

It is better to sweat in Training than Bleed in Battle.

www.usnst.org

Feedback Score
    agr1279, ya I have decided to stick with the 30-06. Ive found a couple websites with alot of surplus for decent prices. While it would be an awesome investment I have other needs and a wife that will possibly castrate me if I buy any more rifles this month. I just ordered an AMD-65 for a junker rifle to beat the hell out of so after the M1 I think Im on probation.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast