Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CMP m1 garand in 308

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Resurrecting this. I'm looking to get a Garand in the next few months, while I still can since I've always wanted one. I would assume that .30-06 will dry up before .308 will since the latter is still used in some battle rifles. Would you guys agree? If I ever got a DMR or similar it would probably be an M14ish or M110ish so having the same round would be nice there.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score

CMP m1 garand in 308

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Resurrecting this. I'm looking to get a Garand in the next few months, while I still can since I've always wanted one. I would assume that .30-06 will dry up before .308 will since the latter is still used in some battle rifles. Would you guys agree? If I ever got a DMR or similar it would probably be an M14ish or M110ish so having the same round would be nice there.
    I doubt 30-06 will ever dry up. It's probably taken more big game on this continent than all other calibers combined and probably will continue to do so for quite some time. There are also quite a few Garand owners now so the demand for the old aught six will remain strong. It has also been one of the more consistently available calibers during recent draughts.

The availability of aught six is actually one of the reasons I'm going to get one later this year.

Edit: unless you're talking about surplus then I have no clue.

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.
    Last edited by alvincullumyork; 05-10-14 at 20:16.
    Die living

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The only reason I have a garand in .308 is because I'm already well stocked in the cartridge. My only regret is I feel slightly guilty at not having a true example, but it's easier for me this way. As for 30-06 drying up, it wasn't a concern for me, but I wouldn't make the decision on it. Absolute worst case, you sent it in to CMP to have them rebarrel it in .308 for some far off future where space aliens trade us immortality for all our 30-06 cartridges and rifles, or some sort. I've been reading a lot of science fiction lately so that's the best I can come up with right now.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
    I doubt 30-06 will ever dry up. It's probably taken more big game on this continent than all other calibers combined and probably will continue to do so for quite some time. There are also quite a few Garand owners now so the demand for the old aught six will remain strong. It has also been one of the more consistently available calibers during recent draughts.

The availability of aught six is actually one of the reasons I'm going to get one later this year.

Edit: unless you're talking about surplus then I have no clue.

I may ride a little fast and someday it may catch up and bite me in the ass but maybe not if I give it just a little more gas.
    Yeah I realize its popularity for hunting, but I'd strictly be interested in ball/surplus.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was just eyeing one of these down...hard.

I have read that unlike the 30-06 Garands, you can run just about any .308 or 7.62 NATO you can find on the shelves through it without any trouble. That would be my draw to a .308 over a 30-06.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The surplus .30-06 is definitely on the way out. It just isn't made any more and we are exhausting the last foreign stockpiles. I have 3 Garands and plenty if Lake City and HXP ammo and brass. But if I were in your shoes getting my first one it would be a serious consideration to go .308. You can still buy cheaper ammo like the battle packs of Priv Partisan and I believe some steel cased brands.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Garand, in my view, is 30-06. .308 Garands are not "truly" Garands. It isn't like you will never be able to buy 30-06 ammo in the future and companies, Hornady for one, are now selling Garand safe cartridges.

When it comes to historic rifles, such as the Garand you should buy it in the caliber it was fought with.....However, I am a purist when it comes to Historic Milsurps such as the Garand, so take that with a grain of salt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    The Garand, in my view, is 30-06. .308 Garands are not "truly" Garands. It isn't like you will never be able to buy 30-06 ammo in the future and companies, Hornady for one, are now selling Garand safe cartridges.

When it comes to historic rifles, such as the Garand you should buy it in the caliber it was fought with.....However, I am a purist when it comes to Historic Milsurps such as the Garand, so take that with a grain of salt.
    For a pure collectors piece, agreed 100%. However, for a shooter honestly I think .308 is the way to go now.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If you are going to be in the Anniston, Alabama or Port Clinton, Ohio area just go by the CMP store and you can handpick your Garand. I just went to Anniston and picked up a nice H&R M1 Garand for $525 and $24.97 to ship it to my house. It is easily an $800 rifle at the local fun show. 200 rounds of Greek .30/06 or was $118 and 200 rounds of U.S. AP .30/06 was $125. I bought a can of each, you cannot go wrong with either rifle.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    If I'm ever down that way I'll have to swing by. Turns out I have a .30-06 now though. I'd asked my dad to see if our neighbor (who is huge into surplus and antique firearms) if he knew of any locally - when I came home last night there was one on my bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast