Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: powder for 223 & 308

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

powder for 223 & 308

Is there any one powder good for 223 for 55 to 69 grn bullets and also good in 308 from 150 to 168 grn bullets. Can find powder good in both but not in theese weight range's or am I not understanding it. From what I got good in 223 but only good in 308 from 110 to 125 not so good in heavy 168-180 range what do you use and do you use one powder in both. Thanks Jon

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jon308 View Post
    Is there any one powder good for 223 for 55 to 69 grn bullets and also good in 308 from 150 to 168 grn bullets. Can find powder good in both but not in theese weight range's or am I not understanding it. From what I got good in 223 but only good in 308 from 110 to 125 not so good in heavy 168-180 range what do you use and do you use one powder in both. Thanks Jon
    TAC, VARGET, R15 all will work there are many many more. If you want bang for your buck, try this.

http://wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|283|999
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    TAC, VARGET, R15 all will work there are many many more. If you want bang for your buck, try this.

http://wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|283|999
    by which he means the 846 powder from that list.

also check here

http://www.hi-techammo.com/

and here

http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel...ategory=Powder

for actual availability, in addition to wideners. At any given time, some of them will be out but others may have it. Price at any of them is usually similar. Check for extras like free hazmat or shipping if you buy a case of 4 or 6 etc.

--
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    I use varget for both.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am about to start using Varget, and have been considering using it for my En Mass reloads. Question: Is this a good idea, or should I keep using a spherical powered?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If you're wanting GOOD ammo in each caliber, Find the RIGHT powder for each caliber.

If you're just blasting or need practice ammo, TAC is your powder.

I have no idea why people use VARGET for .223. It works great and all, but the kernal shape and bulk density or sub optimal. There are much easier and just as good powders to use.

For 55 grains we use Benchmark - works best when loaded somewhat hot.

For 69 grains we use H322 - Load to max and no one can hang with you.

For 168-175 we use Varget - Load that stuff on the ChargeMaster.

Don't be affraid to run different powders. When I first started I wanted "do all" powders... Now my cabinet looks like a Hodgdon Retail Display.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony1 View Post
    I use varget for both.
    For the bullet weight he's shooting, I'd pass on Varget. There was a guy on another forum who was doing some barrel treatment/finish testing for a manufacturer.

He found that the light bullets when combined with relatively slow burning powder really erroded the gas port bad. As early as 1700 rounds, he could see damage in the Xrays of the barrel.... where as it was closer to 10k rounds on appropriate bullet/powder combos.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I use varget for my .223 and .308 been wanting to try blc-2 but that stuff is all dried up, but cfe is what my eyes are set on now

Feedback Score
    +1 for IMR4895 and Varget

Feedback Score
    I think I used to use 748,
    now TAC for both.

I am a long term minimize powders vs. maximize each recipe per round.

Example-
    Pistol-
    9mm 115 grain5.0 Bullseye
    .40 180 grain 5.0 Bullseye
    .45 230 grain "
    .357 158 grain lead "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast