View Poll Results: If available, would you buy a high quality .223/5.56 or .308 primer crimping device?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would buy one.

1 2.13%
  • No, I would not buy one

39 82.98%
  • Maybe, more details are needed

7 14.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Market for a primer crimping device?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Market for a primer crimping device?

Does anyone think there is a market for some sort of bench mounted device that could crimp the primers on reloaded .223/5.56 or .308 cases? As far as I know, no such device exists. I know some people will pull down milsurp ammo and use the cases with crimped primers for making high pressure clones like MK262 etc.

I am in the process of devising a design project for my university's senior capstone program and this was one things that crossed my mind. Of course, re-crimping would mean more swaging/reaming if those cases were to be used again and a primer pocket could only be crimped so many times before there was no longer enough material around the primer pocket to crimp it again. I'm thinking this might be something some people may find valuable when loading new brass or once/twice fired commercial or military brass.

So let me know what you think. I've included a poll - Yes, I would buy one/ No, I wouldn't buy one/ Maybe, more details are needed.
    If yes, please give me a ballpark figure of how much you might be willing to spend for such a device. If no or maybe, please post a brief explanation.

Thanks
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why would you want to crimp primers?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HackerF15E View Post
    Why would you want to crimp primers?
    Same reason the military does it. It cuts down on the number of stoppages because of ammo related problems. Basically to increase mean time between failure.

To OP: I have more then enough time tight up in brass prep as is. The only reason I'd want that kind of machine is if I was loading up a stash of SHTF ammo. Crimping would be as an added bonus to system's reliability.
    Last edited by Toxa; 08-30-13 at 09:19.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would not buy one. If I felt the need for ammunition with crimped primers, I would purchase military surplus ammunition.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yes, thanks, I understand the reason why the military does it...but I'm stretching to see a rationale for a civilian reloader to do it.

Given how often primers can be jarred out of the pocket (which is rare), compared to the urgency of the vast majority of civilian shooting (which is basically nil), compared to the added work of both crimping before shooting (an additional step in the process), and the additional case prep after shooting (another additional step in the process)...

Just seems like a solution looking for a problem IMHO.

Feedback Score
    ^ Exactly. I've shot hundreds of thousands of rounds through full auto and never had a primer back out. None of the primers were crimped in place. If I were in combat in climates ranging from -50 to 125 degrees, then I might want it for insurance. There is no practical need for it in the civilian shooting world.
    I'm an FFL/gunsmith, not the holster company. We specialize in subsonic ammunition and wholesale rifles.

Feedback Score
    I wouldn't use one. If I felt the need for more security in the primer pocket I'd likely use a primer sealant paint, or some sort of adhesive. I do know guys who paint the sides of primer pockets before seating primers to make sure their loads are waterproof. I think they're nuts, but they think the same about me because I'll use a Harts Case Saver on Federal 223 brass before reloading. I don't trust once-fired FC cases at all anymore.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HackerF15E View Post
    Yes, thanks, I understand the reason why the military does it...but I'm stretching to see a rationale for a civilian reloader to do it.

Given how often primers can be jarred out of the pocket (which is rare), compared to the urgency of the vast majority of civilian shooting (which is basically nil), compared to the added work of both crimping before shooting (an additional step in the process), and the additional case prep after shooting (another additional step in the process)...

Just seems like a solution looking for a problem IMHO.
    Then why did you ask? You should have elaborated a bit more.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't think it would something everyone would want or use, just something some may find useful for certain situations.

Nothing is set in stone yet, this idea may very well be filed under the list of bad inventions along with the prostate warmer
    B.A.S. Mechanical Engineering Technology

Feedback Score
    I've spent so much time de-crimping brass that it makes me ill to even think about re-crimping .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast