Thread: Where to start?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Where to start?

Hey all,

I need advice on where to start WRT private training options for my wife and I, having never attended a private course.

As background, I'm a graduate of CITP at FLETC. My wife and I have received basic Air Force CATM instruction in rifle and pistol, and we've both attended our respective pre-deployment training.

However, for personal development we'd like to start layering our training from the ground up, and make firearms training routine. I'd like to start with pistol fundamentals, focusing on active shooter and home defense. We have two 9mm pistols, and I intend to purchase a .45 M&P next for myself, followed by an 870 or two, and then carbines mid-2013.

I'm a bit lost however, with the number of high-level training groups such as Vickers, Costa, Redback One, Hayley. With all the available training opportunities, where should we start? Is it better to pick one and follow a single company/instructor, or to branch out and try a few?

I'd like attend a class, and come away from it enabled with training paradigms I can practice and hone even after the class. This can include dry-firing, range-time and blue gun sets and exercises.

Any help is appreciated.

V/r,
    -Mike

Post-Script: It was recommended I narrow my focus. Neither my wife or I are first-responders or front-line troops. The scenarios for which we are training are almost exclusively reactionary. For me professionally, this means a close-quarter confrontation during an interview. Outside of the work-place, for both of us it means the possibility of an active shooter or assailant.
    Last edited by 87seph; 11-05-12 at 02:15.