Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start?

Feedback Score

Where to start?

Hey all,

I need advice on where to start WRT private training options for my wife and I, having never attended a private course.

As background, I'm a graduate of CITP at FLETC. My wife and I have received basic Air Force CATM instruction in rifle and pistol, and we've both attended our respective pre-deployment training.

However, for personal development we'd like to start layering our training from the ground up, and make firearms training routine. I'd like to start with pistol fundamentals, focusing on active shooter and home defense. We have two 9mm pistols, and I intend to purchase a .45 M&P next for myself, followed by an 870 or two, and then carbines mid-2013.

I'm a bit lost however, with the number of high-level training groups such as Vickers, Costa, Redback One, Hayley. With all the available training opportunities, where should we start? Is it better to pick one and follow a single company/instructor, or to branch out and try a few?

I'd like attend a class, and come away from it enabled with training paradigms I can practice and hone even after the class. This can include dry-firing, range-time and blue gun sets and exercises.

Any help is appreciated.

V/r,
    -Mike

Post-Script: It was recommended I narrow my focus. Neither my wife or I are first-responders or front-line troops. The scenarios for which we are training are almost exclusively reactionary. For me professionally, this means a close-quarter confrontation during an interview. Outside of the work-place, for both of us it means the possibility of an active shooter or assailant.
    Last edited by 87seph; 11-05-12 at 02:15.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Would you want to attend freshman year at 7 different universities or get a PhD from Harvard?

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    87seph,

Where are you located?

I've found that the logistics cost of taking a class are often as much as or more than the tuition for a course.

If you and your wife have deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan you may want to look at Gunsite's A&I Vets 250 or 223 course held each year which is free to those that qualify.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm mystified by all the acronyms. What is WRT?

Feedback Score
    Treehopr, we're near DC. We can travel, but I think AZ is a bit too far from us. I will have family in Houston come the new year though, so that may open other options.

Failure2Stop, good point. Though, isn't the current suggestion to diversify your undergrad, grad, and post-grad schools? J/K

Suwannee Tim, "with regards to".

-Mike

Feedback Score
    Look into Academi located in Moyock, NC. (Formerly Blackwater). I train there. They have many different courses available and it's close to you for the most part. Website: www.academi.com

Feedback Score
    Start here:

http://pistol-training.com/

http://pistol-training.com/drills

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

Buy DvDs.

Here:
    http://www.brianenos.com/store/dvd.matt.html

http://gunsite.com/store/page8.html

http://www.thunderranchinc.com/store.html

http://store.magpul.com/product/DYN004/176

http://www.vikingtactics.com/dvds_pistol1.html

Buy many. Watch many. Buy dummy rounds: http://www.amazon.com/ST-Action-Pro-.../dp/B004KZ357G

Practice techniques. Practice more. Video yourself doing drills, presentations, live fire etc. Critique. Practice more. Practice again. If your wife is going to actively participate, fantastic. Have her critique you vs what you have learned. Be careful critiquing her. Positive reinforcement works for females. Negative reinforcement, not so much.

Always start with the basics. Any DvD from the above links that says Basics or Fundamentals is where you want to start. There are literally hundreds of DVDs out there, some....not so good.

Find an IDPA match here: http://www.idpa.com/clublist.asp?pick=VA

Go with wife. Shoot qualifier. Realize how badly you suck. Sucking is not negative. Sucking is an indication of how well (or poorly) you perform. Practice more.

Buy more advanced videos. Watch. Practice. Critique. Go to next IDPA match, suck less.

Buy reloading press. Wonder what to do with drawer full of holsters and mag carriers you bought but realized suck. Foist on to new IDPA shooters at club. Smile smugly.

Offer UPS guy case of beer, in case he is harboring thoughts of burning down your house so he doesn't have to lug thousands and thousands of bullets and cases and primer and powder to your door.

Buy VERY advanced videos. Watch. Practice. Critique. Repeat. Go to next IDPA match. Suck even less. Easily trounce elderly women and small children.

Register for class from some one reputable. A BASICS class. Go to forums. Make 112 posts asking "What gear for XYZ Class?" Ignore forum advice. Get fancy drop leg rig in from man in brown truck. Wear around house for three days. Model in front of mirror. Wonder how much blood loss to testicles before they fall off. Go to class. Observe people wearing drop leg rigs. Measure Factor 1) Students with drop leg rigs and Factor 2) Students with drop leg rigs A-Zone hits. Graph. Throw away drop leg rig.

Register for Pat Rogers class. Buy Serpa "cause they are cheap and my RCS is getting beat-up" Get castigated by Pat. Wear dunce hat.

Congratulations, you have just completed your first step. Repeat as above for rifles, shotguns.
    none of you have ever truly lived... until you've had to unwillingly grasp the greasy, stank ridden, heaping mounds of adipose from Rosanne's doppelganger... as she ever so gracefully farts and undulates her way over your frightened and disgusted lifeless body, like a mother Elephant Seal trying to un**** herself from a peat bog....~Reagans Rascals

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would start with a Tier One instructor that will give you the personal time at a training course to give you "the direction & goals" in an overall plan for your training as well as do an excellent job training for the particular course you are signed up at the time. As it seems you are looking for some overall direction to become a Renaissance Shooter

I've heard of this guy named Jack Leuba not sure what the name of his company is you might do a search or google him, but he is hands down the most articulate guy on explaining tactical shooting that I have come across and has the real world experience to back it up.
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 87seph View Post
    Treehopr, we're near DC. We can travel, but I think AZ is a bit too far from us. I will have family in Houston come the new year though, so that may open other options.

Failure2Stop, good point. Though, isn't the current suggestion to diversify your undergrad, grad, and post-grad schools? J/K

Suwannee Tim, "with regards to".

-Mike
    Echo Valley Training Center, outside of Winchester, VA has a lot of good instructors (as well as some less impressive) that hold weekend courses.

I haven't trained with all of them but of the ones I have I would recommend Jason Falla of Redback One (also has classes in MD for 2013) and JD Potynsky of Northern Red. Very structured programs with a lot of emphasis on solid fundamentals and weapons manipulation.

If you find your way down to Houston, look up Paul Howe in Nacogdoches, TX.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Treehopr View Post
    Echo Valley Training Center, outside of Winchester, VA has a lot of good instructors (as well as some less impressive) that hold weekend courses.
    Pat Rogers taught an EAG Basic Carbine Class there in September. Given its proximity to his home NOVA, you may see him there again. Should you select him for training, watch his DVDs. They will get you up on the learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Would you want to attend freshman year at 7 different universities or get a PhD from Harvard?
    Very well put!

Since Pat can't post, I'll pass along his recommendation:

You might want to recommend John Murphy at FPF training- he is very GTG
    Last edited by Submariner; 11-04-12 at 17:59. Reason: Add comment
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast