Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 eyes open

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Regardless of the sight type, I shoot with both eye open, which is how I was taught by my father and grandfather. As pointed out earlier, it increases your field of view and reduces eye fatigue. It also helps maintain depth perception.

Sometimes I shoot left handed and with a bit of concentration, I can shoot both eyes open from my non-dominant side. Mental fatigue kicks in quicker when I do. At the archery shop I used to hang out as a kid, the owner used to have me shoot the left handed bows he tuned for customers to make sure they were set up and shooting right.

I find it easier to use an RDS shooting left handed than iron sights
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
    Cross dominance is a non issue. I'm some form of it. People make it into more than it is.
    Apparently your condition is very mild. Cross dominance is a serious issue for me with a rifle. If you don't have the problem it would be near impossible to emulate.

Irons are impossible for me
    RDS is typically a double cylinder with no dot showing.
    Have tried with inexpensive and high end RDS mounted high, low, on receiver. I expect I will be able to use a RDS mounted forward on the rail. That still leaves shooting weak right eye only when shooting right handed with irons.

Shooting left handed is no problem at all with both eyes open. In fact shooting a rifle left handed feels surprisingly natural.

But to say eye dominance is a non issue when you don't even know what it's like is simply wrong. It is an issue. It is mentally frustrating. It is physically fatiguing because the non-dominant eye is usually weak and eye strain comes into play. The whole situation is a PITA.

Of all the things that can be an issue with shooting. Eye sight is probably top of the list.
    Last edited by tb-av; 11-05-12 at 08:25. Reason: typos

Feedback Score
    I tried shooting rifle left handed yesterday since my left eye is dominant. It worked ok, but didn't feel natural. I decided to attempt to train my right eye to be dominant. Yesterday I started wearing a patch on my left eye around the house.

If I just pick up a rifle and try to sight it with both eyes open my left eye is dominant. If I close my left eye for a moment, sight with the right eye and then open the left eye I'm able to maintain the sight with the right eye. The left eye seems like it tries to take over but I can still sight it with the right eye. I'm sure it won't be something that will happen quickly, but I'm going to give the patch a try.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    U shuld shut wit both eyez open cuz it's moar better
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    Over the past year or so I started having problems shooting handguns with both eyes open (will hit low and to the left, but as soon as I close my "non-dominant" left eye the hits are be back on target) whereas I can still shoot a RDS-equipped rifle with both eyes open without any POI shift. It's taken all the fun out of shooting handguns though.

A friend of mine is left eye dominant to the point where if he's shooting an RDS with the front lens cap closed he is totally .

So yes, eye dominance can be a problem to varying degrees to different people, where some can overcome it by training and others cannot.

Oh, and nice one Tzook.
    Last edited by skullworks; 11-05-12 at 09:09.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbolt903 View Post
    Wow! I didn't realize this was english class. I'll try to limit the shorthand.
    Please do. We're not a bunch of kids who want to read current texting shorthand for English.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post
    Over the past year or so I started having problems shooting handguns with both eyes open (will hit low and to the left, but as soon as I close my "non-dominant" left eye the hits are be back on target) whereas I can still shoot a RDS-equipped rifle with both eyes open without any POI shift. It's taken all the fun out of shooting handguns though.

A friend of mine is left eye dominant to the point where if he's shooting an RDS with the front lens cap closed he is totally .

So yes, eye dominance can be a problem to varying degrees to different people, where some can overcome it by training and others cannot.

Oh, and nice one Tzook.
    Thanks. I never type like that so I had to dig deep!!
    And you make great points, though there is a preferred way of doing everything if you do it really well one way.... May as well stick with it
    Last edited by Tzook; 11-05-12 at 09:56.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    I am unable to directly answer the original poster's question, as I do not use a magnifier with a red dot collimating optic. However, I do shoot with both eyes open when using my Leupold VX-R 1.25-4. With the scope dialed down (1.25x) there is either no problem with both eyes open, or a very de minimis problem. When the scope is dialed up to 4x, there is somewhat more of an issue, but I still do it. The advantages of greater peripheral awareness outweigh the slight cognitive dissonance of reconciling 4x for one eye and 1x for the other.

OP, this isn't English class, but clarity of language enhances clarity of thought, which enhances clarity of training.

I've found that adjusting myself to M4c works a lot better than adjusting M4c to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cantrell View Post
    I believe both eyes open is best. That said, I can't shoot with both eyes open. I'm a righty but left eye dominant. I've started wearing a patch on my left eye around the house to see if I can train my right eye to be dominant.
    Dustin:

I'm a righty but left eye dominant as well. Fortunately the dominance is fairly mild. I can shoot left handed with irons to distance. I can shoot right handed with irons out to 100-150 yards. With a red dot, I'm just as good/equally bad left handed or right handed.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzook View Post
    U shuld shut wit both eyez open cuz it's moar better

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast