Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 eyes open

Feedback Score
    Personally I shoot both eyes open for close range, and one eye closed when shooting magnified optics or red dots for precision or longer distance. For me, it helps get a better, more crisp sight picture.
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cantrell View Post
    How do you shoot both eyes open with a rifle when you're cross dominant? I have a dot of scotch tape on the left lens of my shooting glasses. It helps make my right eye take over dominance but its tough to keep the dot in the right spot or balance big enough to transfer dominance and small enough to keep a good FOV.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by theblackknight
    Cross dominance is a non issue. I'm some form of it. People make it into more than it is.
    Apparently your condition is very mild. Cross dominance is a serious issue for me with a rifle. If you don't have the problem it would be near impossible to emulate.

Irons are impossible for me
    RDS is typically a double cylinder with no dot showing.
    Have tried with inexpensive and high end RDS mounted high, low, on receiver. I expect I will be able to use a RDS mounted forward on the rail. That still leaves shooting weak right eye only when shooting right handed with irons.

Shooting left handed is no problem at all with both eyes open. In fact shooting a rifle left handed feels surprisingly natural.

But to say eye dominance is a non issue when you don't even know what it's like is simply wrong. It is an issue. It is mentally frustrating. It is physically fatiguing because the non-dominant eye is usually weak and eye strain comes into play. The whole situation is a PITA.

Of all the things that can be an issue with shooting. Eye sight is probably top of the list.

OK here goes. I'm right handed. I shoot both pistol and rifle, with any type of sights with my right hand/shoulder.

With rifle I sight in right eye for right shoulder, but with pistol, I sight in with my left eye. I don't what this means to you guys. My preference with with pistol in left eye. You also see other x-dom guys like Larry who have a slight blade, but I'm more squared and the pistol literally only moves over the distance between my eyes.

I'm not sure it would help you guys any, but I'll could take some downrange footage to show rifle/pistol transition, which I'll be working on anyway on friday.

Sorry I was dumb. I should have said"my x-dom is a non issue".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbolt903 View Post
    do u shoot 2 eyes open with a magnifier behind your rds or do u shoot one eye. i know u shoot 2 eyes open with eotech/aimpoint but wondering do u still do that when the magnifier is in place
    Like Arctic1 said...

I shoot my EOTech with both eyes open. When I switch to the magnifier, I find that I'm closing my left eye. I seem to focus better that way.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For the life of me, I can't get both the eyes to stay open at the same time. No cross dominance issue here. Pisses me off no end.

Any drill/excercise to overcome is appreciated. If I force myself to keep both the eyes open, I feel like focusing on front sight leads to double vision at the target.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gesundheit View Post
    For the life of me, I can't get both the eyes to stay open at the same time. No cross dominance issue here. Pisses me off no end.

Any drill/excercise to overcome is appreciated. If I force myself to keep both the eyes open, I feel like focusing on front sight leads to double vision at the target.
    Are you using an RDS? If it is an Aimpoint, try closing the front lens cap and shoot some drills that way.

Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post
    Are you using an RDS? If it is an Aimpoint, try closing the front lens cap and shoot some drills that way.

Tapatalk 2
    Wow, great idea to overcome closing one eye!
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post

Tapatalk 2
    I'm using EOTechs. Any drill I can run with them?

Feedback Score
    If you can cover the front of the lens you should be able to do the same as with the Aimpoint.

This is from the Aimpoint website; the pictures they use there are crap and actually do not explain anything, so I won't bother linking them:

How to improve your shooting & How to shoot with a red dot sight

Caution: Place the firearm in a safe condition prior to handling or making any of the exercises demonstrated below.

Aim straight and shoot better !
    There is one rule and it’s simple. Keep both eyes open!

Exercise No.1
    For a moment, lower your firearm and focus both eyes on the target. Next, without taking your eyes off the target, bring your firearm into position so that you are now looking at the target through the Aimpoint sight.

With your firearm shouldered, with both eyes open and focused on the target, the dot will naturally appear where you want your shot to hit.

It’s that easy! When the dot is on target, so are you.
    Since all Aimpoint sights are parallax free, you never have to worry about centering the red dot inside the sight.
    If you have trouble shooting with both eyes open, We recommend this simple training exercise:

Exercise No.2
    Cover the front of your Aimpoint sight with the lens cover.

Then bring your firearm into position while keeping both eyes focused on the target .
    The red dot will now be on the target.

Practicing this simple procedure will get you comfortable with keeping both eyes open while aiming at the target. That’s because with a traditional sight, your field of view is limited.
    You lose valuable time focusing through the sight rather than focusing on the target. You also lose eye contact with the target and you don’t get a general view of the situation and surroundings.

After performing these exercises you are ready to get the most out of your Aimpoint sight, You will see how much easier and faster it is to aim your firearm with an Aimpoint sight and you will improve your shooting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Cantrell View Post
    If I close my left eye for a moment, sight with the right eye and then open the left eye I'm able to maintain the sight with the right eye.
    I have to do this sometimes when shooting left-hand/offhand, closing my right eye instead of left, of course. (Right eye dominant.) Practicing shooting/aiming (even 'dry' at home, as mentioned previously)over and over has helped me be able to switch on the fly most of the time, but there are those times where I shoulder the rifle on the left and the right eye won't give it up immediately. A quick close of the right eye so the left sees the picture is usually all it takes for my brain to switch sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic1 View Post
    Personally I shoot both eyes open for close range, and one eye closed when shooting magnified optics or red dots for precision or longer distance. For me, it helps get a better, more crisp sight picture.
    If I need to be as precise as possible at longer distances, I shoot one-eyed, too. It's just much sharper that way. I've always figured it was due to having a significant disparity between the vision of each eye, but that's just my uneducated guess.
    Last edited by jet66; 12-12-12 at 06:33.

Feedback Score
    It depends on the power of the optics, I can shoot with both eyes open up to a 5x but afetr that I have to close my left eye.

Just a note, if you're going to critique someone else's grammar you might want to check your own.....
    Last edited by juliomorris; 12-12-12 at 09:17. Reason: oops

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast