Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCAR H vs 7.62 AR

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

SCAR H vs 7.62 AR

I was in the shop the other day looking at the SCAR H. My only experience with the SCAR was I put a few mags through one at a range day where vendors allowed testing at a SWAT competition when the SCAR was new, so no real experience.

I don't know much about them compared to say getting an AR in 7.62. It appears the SCAR H has now been around long enough to show itself to be a viable 7.62 platform from what I gather.

AR platform in 7.62 seems iffy from what I read, but it's not an area of knowledge for me.

What's the general pros/cons of the 7.62 AR vs the SCAR H? Link to read? AR in 7.62 recommended brands usual suspects?

The SCAR H is a tad over 3k at a shop I go. Good price? Bad? I doubt I get one now, but interested in getting learned up for if/when I do.

Thanx
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Are magazines readily available for them yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    No idea. They had some, but that does not mean much.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    The magazine situation is improving for the SCAR. I have been able to get a few more in the last few months, and now there are even other companies coming online producing SCAR mags. Though, having said that the market is not exactly flooded with them and they are a bit more than I would prefer.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    Hey Will, I own and enjoy shooting two 7.62 ar's. Some benefits are that they use many small parts from the ar15 rifles, the SR-25 mags are plentiful, be it DPMS, Magpul pmags, and even the c product mags. There are many manufacturers jumping into the large platform ar's, and parts and accessories are becoming more readily available… (as much as possible with the current supplies for all fun things being low!)

The Scar H, is also recognized as a great gun, with it's biggest drawback being proprietary mags. There is a company making a lower that accepts the SR-25 mags solving the problem, but another investment is required. Here's the link..

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=3217

If you have some more questions on the large platform ar's, feel free to pm me, I do have some good first hand info with at least six of the manufacturer's
    the firearm hobby, welcome to poverty

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Hey Will, I own and enjoy shooting two 7.62 ar's. Some benefits are that they use many small parts from the ar15 rifles, the SR-25 mags are plentiful, be it DPMS, Magpul pmags, and even the c product mags. There are many manufacturers jumping into the large platform ar's, and parts and accessories are becoming more readily available… (as much as possible with the current supplies for all fun things being low!)

The Scar H, is also recognized as a great gun, with it's biggest drawback being proprietary mags. There is a company making a lower that accepts the SR-25 mags solving the problem, but another investment is required. Here's the link..

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=3217

If you have some more questions on the large platform ar's, feel free to pm me, I do have some good first hand info with at least six of the manufacturer's
    Great info, especially on that lower, thanx!
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    I own both SCAR 17 and DPMS Panther SASS though believe it or not I just have not had the opportunity to shoot them yet. I prefer the SCAR 17. Magazine availability has been an issue with the SCAR but is much better now and can be found at a reasonable price by shopping around (though not as cheap as the AR platform). IMO $3K is too much to be paying now unless you just want to buy at your local GS. I just checked GB and there are plenty there. The low price around $2500 and that is a buy now price. You will save on taxes and even with shipping and local FFL transfer fee you will save over $400. I have bought plenty of guns on GB and never had an issue. Here is a link to the SCAR 17 threads on FN forum and you can find plenty of additional reviews/material.

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/

One additional point is a FN Forum member (SGT Stryker) is also going to be producing a new lower made from metal. In addition lots of details on alternate receivers, modifying FAL mags to work in a SCAR, etc.
    Last edited by eodcolret; 12-01-12 at 10:18.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have experience with all of the known 7.62 semi autos, and while my sigline shows a clear bias, the only 7.62 gun I will pay for is an SR25. The scar has some positive attributes, but the negatives are not worth the cost savings to me.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I have experience with all of the known 7.62 semi autos, and while my sigline shows a clear bias, the only 7.62 gun I will pay for is an SR25. The scar has some positive attributes, but the negatives are not worth the cost savings to me.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    The SR-25 has been my dream gun since I started shooting.

One day.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I own a SCAR 17 and have been very happy with it. It is lighter than it's competition from LMT, LaRue and Knights. I doubt it is as accurate as the LaRue and I know it's not as accurate as some of the SR-25s. It's a battle carbine.
    Mine eats anything and has never failed. I shoot suppressed a lot and greatly appreciate the cleaner running piston system.
    I don't own any other 308 autoloaders so the magazine issue is not a big deal. I pick-up a couple everytime a batch hits the market. If I had other SR25 mag pattern rifles, I would want magazine continuity.

There are two new lowers (not the serialized part of the rifle) for the SCAR that use SR25 pattern mags. They run about $300. One has been released by Handl and can be backordered thru Ranier. Early reviews are mixed with reports of bolt catch and mag release issues, but Handl CS seems to be taking care of these. It's a tricky situation for Handl because the end user is swapping the parts from the factory lower to the Handl product, so there's no QC on the final function. The other lower from Stryker Enterprises is not out yet. It boasts more features like QD sling mounts and comes with "tricky parts" already installed.

I paid $2550 for mine two years ago. Lucky. They run about $2650 now. There are cheaper alternatives but none in the class that I've mentioned here. I do think it's the best buy of the four I mentioned.

Also, the black SCARs are more accurate.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast