Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TGI AMD-65 first thoughts(pics inside)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    Why are AMD-65s so popular? ...
    $459.00 shipped. That's why.
    Johnnie F. - recovering Statist
    ----------------------------------------------
    Have you read TheTruthAboutGuns.com today?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesavery22 View Post
    I might be mistaken. I was under the impression the brake is what keeps the barrel at >16".
    Removing that while in possession of the receiver moves into weird legal territory. Those with a specific ATF license, SOT I believe?, can do this with no issue. Hence why most people send this work off.
    I agree the machining work is simple. Was speaking from a legal perspective.
    You are right it does keep the barrel at 16". But if the weld was to break and you re-weld it, oh well. Its not like sending it off to get fixed doesn't take time to get figured out. What do you do then, technically it would be illegal to own but its yours and you need a fix. Grey areas in the law are hard to figure out.

Feedback Score
    Guys, it is all intent. The ATF is not out to make a case against anybody unless need be. If someone turns you in (obviously the ATF doesn't have agents hiding in your bushes), they will investigate you and make a reasonable determination of your intent. If they find you have intentionally shortened this rifle to less than 16", then you will have problems. If you have a weld break, and make efforts to reestablish that weld they are not going to come raid your home and throw you in the federal pen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eng208 View Post
    Guys, it is all intent. The ATF is not out to make a case against anybody unless need be. If someone turns you in (obviously the ATF doesn't have agents hiding in your bushes), they will investigate you and make a reasonable determination of your intent. If they find you have intentionally shortened this rifle to less than 16", then you will have problems. If you have a weld break, and make efforts to reestablish that weld they are not going to come raid your home and throw you in the federal pen.
    Thats exactly how I under stood it. Same goes if you bought an upper thats 14.5" then you attach and weld the brake to make it legal. If your not using the weapon as a sbr your in the clear, I just would suggest fixing it asap and no assclownery showing your friends your awesome illegal rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    Why are AMD-65s so popular?
    Well first off they're 8" shorter than you average AR15 so that's one reason why...
    A Colt LE6920 is 33-1/2" long with the stock collapsed w/a YHM flash hider attached... The AMD65 is only 25-1/2" long with the stock folded to the tip of the FH!! They also have a chrome lined bbl, all parts matching #'s, chambered up in the hard hitting ass stompin' 7.62x39 round all built on a FEG receiver!!!
    They also make an excellent CQB or truck gun with their compact size and being tuff as nails is what makes 'em such a bad MOFO !!! Just think, all that for the very low price of only $429! How can you beat that!!!! And the ammo is cheap too!
    BTW: They can be configured w/ traditional or a tactical AK furniture or w/ AR15 stocks, rails ect. w/little or no mods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    get one of these pieces to give you a cheek weld. I have one and its very comfortable afterwards. Much easier to point

http://www.amd65tech.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When circumstances forced me to thin the herd down to a single AK my AMD-65 was the one that remained. On paper the obnoxious brake and wire folder made it less than ideal. When bullets met the berm it was the hands down winner. In my hands the AMD-65 handles the best of the various AK variants. I really need to find a way to add another.

Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'm going to eventually put a hand guard on it similar to my troy trx from carolina shooters supply. I like having both feel similar. during shooting.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the pics guys!

Range report! (added video, let me know if it works)
    I picked up a couple hundred rounds of Tula fmj to test for functionality. By the time I made it up the mountain it was getting dark and with the snow front moving in tonight was quite windy. I chose to just throw up a shoot n C target at 50. At first I was about 2 inches right and 2 inches low. At least it was holding a group. A quick adjustment and I set the sights for about an inch high at 50, Ill have to check my 100 yard zero another time.

Next the few of us passed it around and just ran round through it. Ejection was strong and the crapco mag feed flawlessly. I have to say I was skeptical of the wire folder but found if I put my nose to the rear trunion and just use my body to swallow up the stock it was quick to come on sights and reasonably comfortable. I guess I wont be spending money on a riser. Even though the muzzle break is loud and throws a mean fire ball it did little to impede the irons even in low light.(not that I would want to use it in a pitch black room) Also I have shot several 7.62 ak variants and I have to say this is the sofftest shooting ak I have ever shot. It places equal if not better than my 14.5 middy. I will say this is perceived recoil but all 3 of my fellow "testers" said it didn't have much recoil for them either. I added a shitty blackhawk 3 point sling which seemed to hold up to the heat of the gas tube and barrel(its the one that wraps around the front hand guards, I ran it between the gas tube and barrel). Still looking for another option but it works for now.

Overall i didn't test for groups much as it was getting dark and my kids were playing in my car waiting but I will say speedy off hand at 50 was an easy 2-3 inch group.

Final note, for 460 bucks this is not a bad ak variant to purchase. Its not an arsenal or krebs but for the man on a family budget I would put it on the top of the list. No malfunctions in over 100 rounds to report. Also TGI is not importing these anymore so it is only a matter of time before they are all gone.
    http://youtu.be/fagjMdGI5Q0
    Last edited by maddawg5777; 11-10-12 at 10:08. Reason: added video

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think you'll like it. I'd put mine up against any arsenal the way I have it now. The Hungarian's quality (minus paint finish) I feel is on par with bulgarian. You'll not notice crappy machining on any of the parts. They even still have round firing pins vs the flat pins used by many.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast