Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: TGI AMD-65 first thoughts(pics inside)

Feedback Score
    I haven't touched an arsenal in a year or so, Im not saying the amd is a turd but from what i remember the arsenal was a little more refined. As far as shooting goes they seem to be equal in my little experience. But time will tell with this one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The finish on the arsenal is better for sure. I remember picking an amd-65 parts kit up at knob creek that was blued. I'm not sure if it was original or not. All the kits I've has in the past were painted.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Arsenal finish

True the finish on an Arsenal AK looks nicer. Get anything stronger than CLP on it and it melts right off. There are plenty of pics of AK's that guys repainted that look pretty damn good and were nothing more than rattle can spray jobs. Function > Form
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    I plan on beating most the paint off this thing within a few months, then it will be time for good rattle can. I much prefer that a rifle works compared to how it looks. Shit I adjusted my sight with a cleaning rod and a hammer, not worried about finish in the least.

Feedback Score
    I like mine an awful lot. Runs 100%, no issues at all. The forward grip and metal handguard work for me just fine. Added a riser from AMD65tech and swapped the brake out for an extended flash hider. Put an IDF sling on it and have right at $600 in it with shipping (from Centerfire) and transfer.

Top target is a bunch of rounds offhand at 50 yards or so, with the ones toward the bottom before I adjusted the front sight a bit. Lower target is 10 or so rounds from a bench at about 50 yards.

Weather and work have kept me from putting more than a few hundred rounds through it in the little time I've had it but like I said, it runs 100%.
    Last edited by Al Bundy; 11-11-12 at 23:59.

Feedback Score
    Here's a better shot of the fh. Got it from USmachinegun.

Took about 30 seconds with a hacksaw to cut through the bead of weld holding the original brake on, then took the rifle and a six pack over to a friends and he welded the new one on for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maddawg5777 View Post
    I haven't touched an arsenal in a year or so, Im not saying the amd is a turd but from what i remember the arsenal was a little more refined. As far as shooting goes they seem to be equal in my little experience. But time will tell with this one.
    How is your bolt? Is it smooth or is it a bit on the rough side?
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Holiday View Post
    How is your bolt? Is it smooth or is it a bit on the rough side?
    The bolt itself if quite smooth, the carrier, on the other hand has alot of machine marks all over it. The bolt still rides smooth in the channels even with the crappy machining.

Also I got bored yesterday and broke out some magpul rail sections and my drill. I will post pics of my add-ons in a bit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Here's a better shot of the fh. Got it from USmachinegun.

Took about 30 seconds with a hacksaw to cut through the bead of weld holding the original brake on, then took the rifle and a six pack over to a friends and he welded the new one on for me.
    Al, how well does that flash hider work? Also did you notice any increase in felt recoil or muzzle climb when you got rid of the break. I like the factory break, the fireball is kind of fun. Although I see it as a tactical disadvantage overall. This rifle is more of a fun gun than anything else until it proves its self reliable.(another 300 rounds or so trouble free)

Feedback Score
    So I got tired of the factory front grip and wanted to add a light. I dug out a couple old magpul rail sections and started fitting them to the rifle. I used the small 2 1/2? section on the side and just ran the allen screws through the provided slots and tightened. To add a rail to the bottom was more of a challenge. After removing the hand guard and front grip I noticed a small "bump" put in the metal to help assist in holding the factory grip in place. I matched up the existing hole with one on the longer magpul rail section. Then marked where the bump was in correlation to the rail. I used a sanding wheel and my drill and removed some of the underside of the rail until is sat flush as possible. Then I marked the second hole on the hand guard and use a 11/32 drill bit to drill out the hole. The allen screw was just a little too big, and as I had lost my last magpul "nut" I decided to try and just ream the hole a little larger until the allen screw would just fit, then screw it into the metal. I must say it worked great. The is no flex on either rail and it is a cheap option over buying rails.

Now Ill just need an ultimak railed gas tube and an optic, but I'm good for now. Also I ran the blackhawk sling this way for over 100 rounds the other day and it shows no sign of melting. I was supprised!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast