Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: TGI AMD-65 first thoughts(pics inside)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintovka View Post
    Just to be clear, it's definitely a good idea to have some spare parts ready. My AMD has been great so far, but maybe something will fail tomorrow. You never know. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    Very true. The rifle looks great, lots of good character added there. Just one more pic, if you could, down the bore. Id like to see how the rifling is holding up. My friends cai rommy was about done at 10k. I know its apples to oranges talking about FEG and CAI, but would like to see how the barrel help up over all. I greatly appreciate your effort.

EDIT, also how is the tail on your bolt carrier. I have seen some that were mushroomed badly. Im guessing the g2 trigger is harder than the carrier?
    Last edited by maddawg5777; 11-18-12 at 21:02.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maddawg5777 View Post
    Very true. The rifle looks great, lots of good character added there. Just one more pic, if you could, down the bore. Id like to see how the rifling is holding up. My friends cai rommy was about done at 10k. I know its apples to oranges talking about FEG and CAI, but would like to see how the barrel help up over all. I greatly appreciate your effort.

EDIT, also how is the tail on your bolt carrier. I have seen some that were mushroomed badly. Im guessing the g2 trigger is harder than the carrier?
    I'm having difficulty getting a decent shot of the bore. It's a little "dark" but the rifling appears to be pretty strong. Accuracy is still great. I'll post one when I figure out the best way to get it. Here's the bolt carrier. It is mushroomed a little bit but has been for a long time, I don't think it will get any worse.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    So, if someone wanted an entry into the AK realm, and wanted to install items such as: a preferred stock, railed fore-end, and grip anyway. This would be a fairly reasonable entry? Is there anything specifically about this model that would prevent installation of aftermarket AK parts?
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    I think you should be all right.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    So, if someone wanted an entry into the AK realm, and wanted to install items such as: a preferred stock, railed fore-end, and grip anyway. This would be a fairly reasonable entry? Is there anything specifically about this model that would prevent installation of aftermarket AK parts?
    This ak is different but does take some other ak accessories. The stock can be changed but it is a bit of work. Either you can buy a krebs custom rear trunion to install a different butt stock but its spendy. Or you can buy a cheek riser, I find the factory stock to work well once your used to it. Also the gas tube doesn't have hand guard retainers so some hand guards are limited or have to be fitted to it. Over all Id say its a good buy for the first time ak owner if you know the limitations. In todays market getting an ak that runs reliably for under 500 is unheard of. Most of the ak's in the same price range or even a bit higher are century imports and its a big gamble if your getting a good one. If you can afford it arsenals are nice aks and come with standard furniture.

vintovka, the tail doesn't look bad, figured a bore/rifling shot would be hard. Might be easiest to put a flash light in the receiver and try and take a shot from the muzzle. My cell phone just sux and wont get a good picture either way.

EDIT, Smash for railed for-ends Midwest Industries and Ultimak make a set that fit the AMD-65, and they are higher quality so you are covered there. Grips are the same as any ak its just the stock that is really different.
    Last edited by maddawg5777; 11-20-12 at 09:48.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is there anything specifically about this model that would prevent installation of aftermarket AK parts?
    The different parts are the rear trunnion, gas piston, gas tube and receiver.

So, if someone wanted an entry into the AK realm, and wanted to install items such as: a preferred stock
    vs. "Common Stock" lol

It all depends on what stock you prefer, but the AMD rear trunnion is not a standard AKM trunnion with the tang.

If you want a standard rear trunnion, you will have to grind off the rivets, slide out the AMD trunnion, weld up the holes, install a standard rear trunnion, and rivet (or weld/screw).

The AMD stock is a nice compact type that really isn't as bad as people say though.

railed fore-end, and grip anyway.
    The lower handguard is the same, but the gas tube is much shorter. If you are looking for a 12 o'clock rail, it will have to be a design that hoops over the gas tube and doesn't interact with it, or is designed to work with the short AMD tube (like the UltiMAK M7-B).

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I appreciate all the information.

My heart isn't completely in the AK as of now.(AR's in the USMC, AR's primarily in my business, AR's for the home.) So I think I felt like I could buy something cheap to get into AKs and be fine.

However, I feel just like with everything AR, I should spend the money to get the goods event though it is my entry into the platform. So maybe this isn't the option for me.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post

The lower handguard is the same, but the gas tube is much shorter. If you are looking for a 12 o'clock rail, it will have to be a design that hoops over the gas tube and doesn't interact with it, or is designed to work with the short AMD tube (like the UltiMAK M7-B).
    I completely forgot about the gas tube! I forgot how short it was. Glad you mentioned that.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My heart isn't completely in the AK as of now.
    If you're not pumped, then my advice is to get a standard pattern AKM and see if the platform, round, and characteristics of both are doing it for you.

A WASR, so long as it has the Cugir or Ratmil CHF Chrome lined barrel and an acceptable mag well is an impressive rifle. Yes, even if it has a bit of cant and you end up drifting the front sight, is still impressive.

The AMD is a specialty gun, and while it doesn't draw the same oooohs and aaaaaahs as a Krinkov, I believe it to be a superior platform.

I built two, a standard pattern to appreciate the rifle (shown here with a simple muzzle nut) and one with an AKM rear trunnion:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I appreciate all the information.

My heart isn't completely in the AK as of now.(AR's in the USMC, AR's primarily in my business, AR's for the home.) So I think I felt like I could buy something cheap to get into AKs and be fine.

However, I feel just like with everything AR, I should spend the money to get the goods event though it is my entry into the platform. So maybe this isn't the option for me.
    The AMD isn't a bad AK. They have some odd features but are very workable. IMHO they handle the best of the AK variants. Plenty of accessories out there to "improve" the rifle for your needs. You could do a lot worse. For a rifle that you aren't "feeling" anyway it is a relatively inexpensive way to dip your toes in the water.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast