Thread: SHTF AR

Feedback Score

SHTF AR

Hey guys I searched through a few of the forums, couldn't find this specific topic discussed, so if there has already been one of these my bad for missing it. I've been thinking about SHTF rifle and what would be important for that rifle if something happens. I read a lot of people talking about having something small and easily concealable like a SBR or AK with a folding stock.. considering if you had to fight your way inside of a suburban area or in a city this would make sense, however, if something does happen in the US I would have no desire to stay anywhere like those places. I'd want to get away from any high profile or densely populated areas period. So I was thinking maybe a rifle with a longer barrel.. though heavier and less managable in tight areas would shine. I'd really want a rifle that would allow me to put some distance between my self those who would be with me and whoever would be in my best interest to stay away from. Any body agree?
    "Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
    — Tench Coxe, 1788.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It's been wore out in many threads over the years. What do you think you could do within the performance capabilities of a 5.56 with a 20" that you couldn't do with a 16"? I regularly head shoot on steel at 400 yards with a 12.5" SBR. If the 20" was so much better it would be the preference for most especially the military and law enforcement but it's not. I am thought of as a pretty good long range shot but to beat the 5.56 I use a $4,000.00 bolt gun in 7.62. It's not worth a damn for anything but it's specific design. Too heavy to hunt, too big for anything under 100 yards for self defense needs. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. If, on the other hand you just prefer longer smokepoles good for you, that's what you should spend your dollars on. But buy them because you like them not because they are "better' for self defense uses.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    This thread is pretty god damn silly but I'll bite.

If your in a self defense/survival situation you have no businesses engaging people from the type of distances your talking. Your better off avoiding confrontation or closing the gap. Can't do any better than a 14.5" or 16" AR rifle in a SHTF scenario IMO.
    Last edited by graffex; 11-12-12 at 22:17.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Get one of each and carve your experiences in stone so that after shtf and civilization rebuilds, you can tell which one helped you most during the apocolypse.

In all seriousness, really get both. No reason to stop at 1. No reason to own anything else.

Youre home is your home because the governemnt says so, your money is real money because the government says so, youre retirement plan is real because the government says so.

In other words, without government, you have nothing. At least have 2 rifles.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Plenty of threads have been posted talking about everything you are asking. Use the orange search button.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com