Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer Hunting with an AK?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Deer Hunting with an AK?

I had a friend ask me today about the idea of hunting with an AK. He is a retired doctor in his late 60's, and is tired of getting beat-up by his .270 and 12 gauge slug gun. In the club where he hunts the longest shots possible are out to 300 yards. He "still" hunts from a tree stand with a rail for a rest. It is a traditional old Southern gentlemen-type club, where each member has a cabin and there is a communal dining house. I think he likes the idea of shaking things up a bit.

I was thinking something like a SGL-21 with a 1-8x might fit the bill. He is not opposed to the AR platform. In fact, shooting my 6920 last week is what started turning the wheels in his head. But he likes the idea of a relatively inexpensive and readily available round that is lethal out to 300 yards. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated, as I would like to give him the most informed recommendation I can.

Edit: Maybe a 1-8x is out of the price range, perhaps a 2-7x would be more appropriate.
    Last edited by 7.62WildBill; 11-12-12 at 17:48.
    "Restricting the rights of free and law-abiding Americans is not a solution to anything, and only makes government and its force more powerful."
    -Gary Johnson

Owner of Wildwood Custom Woodworking, F-Class Rifle Stock Builder

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Accuracy is going to be the main problem when ranged shots present their selfs and I found that my 18½ inch barrel CZ-527 in 7.62x39 only has practical hunting accuracy out to 175yds with commercial ammunition and I can stretch that to 225yds with tailored hand loads.

Its not a flat shooter by any means and unless the good doctor is willing to put in the range time to become intimate with the trajectory then I would suggest another proven flat shooting caliber like the 257 Roberts or the .260 which is lower in recoil then the .270 and shoot well out to 300yds.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    IMHO,

How can you get beat up shooting 1 round from a 270?

300 yards is a long way out for a 7.62x39. There is going to be a lot of drop. I also don't know if an AK can group good enough for a 300 yard one shot drop.

If he is stand hunting and wanting less recoil and wanting to disrupt the norm...... I am thinking AR-10 or clone with a heavy barrel. Weight is going to reduce felt recoil. Gas system will reduce felt recoil. 308 can make it out to 300 yards for a 1 shot kill. I don't see a need for a 1-8 scope if he will be sitting still. I am thinking something like a 4-16x50 Leupold.
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't think he minds the recoil so much during the hunt, but for the last 3 years he has asked me to shoot his guns to check the zero due his aversion to recoil. I know he wants to go with an auto-loading platform like his slug gun. Although I have never heard of him having to take a second shot. Also, he has a nice 3-9x Swarovski on his .270 that he will most likely use on the new set-up. But he killed a deer Thursday at 25 yards and has asked about more low power range.

I will research the .308 AR. Thank you for the suggestions.
    "Restricting the rights of free and law-abiding Americans is not a solution to anything, and only makes government and its force more powerful."
    -Gary Johnson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't think a .308 AR is going to be a big improvement over a .270, but maybe that's just me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How about a 6.8 or a 300 Blk?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RD62 View Post
    I don't think a .308 AR is going to be a big improvement over a .270, but maybe that's just me.
    IMHO shooting a 308 ar has less recoil than both a 12 gauge slug gun and a 30-30 lever action.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Any good AK will get you to over 200 easily with Hornady SST. 300 is probably a stretch for responsible hunting...got to have a pretty solid idea of range past 225 or so. Plenty of smack, especially if you are talking southern deer, and most of mine are 2 MOA rifles, plus or minus, with it, although your results may vary with the spectrum of available rifles. (Except my Norinco. Chinese barrel has some kind of objection to grouping.)

If he truly wants 300 yds and something different, get a 6.5G or 6.8 SPC AR.

AKs are:Cheap, Accurate, and Reliable...but you only get to pick 2 of those attributes.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    7mm-08 offers very impressive terminal performance--GREAT cartridge!

I have killed deer with this round fired from a Rem 700, and know it is very manageable. I know the Remington R-25 is made buy either DPMS or Bushmaster, so...what other options are there in 7mm-08 and is this a viable caliber in the AR platform?
    -Gary Johnson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    With regard to the the 6.5 Grendal and 6.8 SPC, I don't think you can find them on the shelf as easily as 7-08. Which does not rule them out, but it is a consideration. And .300 BLK at 300 yards, is that advisable?
    -Gary Johnson

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast