Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deer Hunting with an AK?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nineteenkilo View Post
    7mm-08 or 257 Bob or 243.

All light hitters and extraordinarily adept at deer size game. My wife outkills me year after year with a Win 70 in 243. She uses 100 gr handloads by yours truly.

This ^
    (6.5 will also do nicely)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ive seen guys on other forums hunt deer with an AK74. While the caliber didnt "drop" the deer in its tracks it was just as deadly. One guy posted pics of the dissection. The Soviet surplus bullet liquefied both lungs and part of the heart.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

AK Hunting

I have taken a few moose here in Alaska over the years with a AK and a SKS and they have both performed really well for me with SP ammo. I took my longest shot on a moose at around 80ish yards here in the Alaska brush/wooded areas I hunt in the interior. I use a suppressed AR 10 now days but one day I'll break out one of my AK pattern rifles for a moose hunt when my son decides that he want to come with me probable in the next 2 hunting seasons.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Update

I talked to the Dr. for the first time in a few weeks today. He ended up getting a R-25 in .308 from a local shop for just under $1400. I will shoot it with him soon and get some pics and targets. Thanks for the input.
    "Restricting the rights of free and law-abiding Americans is not a solution to anything, and only makes government and its force more powerful."
    -Gary Johnson

Owner of Wildwood Custom Woodworking, F-Class Rifle Stock Builder

Feedback Score
    Do they make a soft tip in 7.62x39? was at the range last week making sure my father ar15 was assembled correclty after i swapped the fixed carry handle receiver for a flap top and re sighted the new sights and front post pin. Got to talking with the guy next to me and he said his first deer was from an AK47. I should have asked him in more detail about it because i wonder how much shot placement is needed with that round.
    "If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen"

-Samuel Adams, 1776

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

SP ammo

I think it was golden bear or wolf 154gr soft point and like I said 80ish yards in the neck they get shot, they die what else could I ask for?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    There's always 6.5x55 swede. I think that, along with 257Bob, 7mm-08 and 260 are great rounds. The problem with 243 is the inability to get over 100gr projectiles. That said, the TSX folks will tell you that the bullet is magic, so maybe loaded with that pill, it ups the performance

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The R-25 in 308, with the right ammo should work well for him. Take a look online (Cabelas, Midway, Brownells) and see what lighter ammo you can find. 125-130gr will shoot a bit softer for him, especially in that gun.

He might also look into a vest or jacket with a shooting pad built in. I have a buddy who can barely touch off a 20ga without it, but can shoot 4-5 rounds of skeet with the vest on.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is what the Dr. ended up with. Remington R-25 in .308 with a Nightforce NSX 5.5x22-56. We will hopefully shoot it this Sat, weather permitting.

Last edited by 7.62WildBill; 05-17-13 at 18:42.
    "Restricting the rights of free and law-abiding Americans is not a solution to anything, and only makes government and its force more powerful."
    -Gary Johnson

Owner of Wildwood Custom Woodworking, F-Class Rifle Stock Builder

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Holy deer scopes!
    "I would rather be the hammer than the anvil."- Rommel

Owner: Hangar 18 Custom Coatings

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast