Thread: M&P9 Review (date of mfg 10-17-2012)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

M&P9 Review (date of mfg 10-17-2012)

I know there are a lot of M&P threads out on the web these days, but I think a lot of it is due to the fact there are a lot of questions that remain unanswered. I’m hoping this thread clears up a lot of the misinformation out there, and can help people make a more informed decision about the M&P9 FS.

First of all, I do not yet know what the accuracy of this gun is. I will not have a chance to shoot at 25 yards until after November 1st, so please do not ask until I have actively updated the information in this thread.

The background to me buying this gun began in August when I attended a S&W armorer’s course from Michael Plaxco at the Gander Mtn. Academy in Wichita, KS, where I am employed. I soon purchased a M&P9 FS from S&W’s “On the Hip” program for certified armorers, and received the gun today. Upon inspecting the manila envelope containing the test fire round, the inspection for this gun was October 17th, of 2012. Three days ago. This is the epitome of brand spanking new M&Ps, and I want to dispel any myths that people have been circulating about new M&Ps.

I will have some videos up soon portraying some of the things I’m talking about, but for now try to use your imagination. I am addressing issues numerically as I discovered them today.

1. This is a standard straight from the factory M&P9 and I was afforded no special privileges in the way of extra magazines, night sights, etc. The gun came with two magazines, three different backstraps, the normal manuals and NRA information, and of course, a case lock.

2. I dry fired the gun a few times before running it through some drills and the first thing I noticed was that the trigger had very little over travel. At most I’m thinking it’s around 1/16th of an inch. In addition to the shorter over travel, there is no false reset when letting the trigger out during dry fires. The reset is also positive and audible, for people that care about stuff like that.

3. The slide stop assembly is mounted into the locking block differently than the old M&P9s. I have yet to do a complete strip on the gun as of yet. Expect an update on that around Sunday when I have a day off.

4. The gun WILL NOT disassemble by rotating the takedown lever and pulling the trigger. You must manually move the sear release lever into the DOWN position before rotating the take down lever and removing the slide. I remember Michael Plaxco addressing this in the armorer’s course, and saying that it was probable S&W was moving to do this on all M&Ps.

5. Test fire: 50 rds American Eagle 115 gr FMJ. I ran the gun in 5 rd strings from 5 yds to ten yds checking for accuracy and I had no problem holding all my shots within a 1.5-2 inch group at all distances. I wasn’t necessarily shooting for match accuracy but I wanted to make sure my POA/POI was consistent with my M&P9C. And the result was that I CANNOT hold center mass with the sights on the FS, unlike my Compact with i-dot pros. This gun as it comes from the factory, at least in my experience thus far, is that it requires the shooter to use a hold over technique using the dot on the front sight.

6. Test-fire: 50 rds Lawman 115 gr FMJ. Another instructor took a turn behind the gun running NRA pistol techniques at 10 yds for accuracy. He held 10 shots within a quarter sized group, all touching. From this test I can confirm that the gun is very accurate within 10 yards and is likely beyond the accuracy ability of most shooters. Again, no 25 yd tests YET.

7. While dry firing again later in the day I noticed a significant amount of creep from trigger bar/striker block contact. I will be documenting this in a video soon and hosting to youtube for further review. The grittiness of the contact between the two was loud enough for my wife to hear from across the room while watching TV.

Final notes – conclusion

I am highly impressed with this gun. I’m leaving out a lot of information that might influence this to be a full review, but all I wanted to examine was what a lot of people have called problems with the M&P. Granted, poor accuracy at 25 yds is a problem, but I do not believe this will be an issue with these latest generation guns. The trigger has improved substantially, and other than the pre-travel grittiness that I commented on before, this gun has the best factory trigger I’ve felt on an M&P.

With that said, I am still opting to install an Apex duty kit in the gun as soon as possible. And to match up with my compact I will be adding a set of Ameriglo i-dot pros when funds allow (i.e. November-ish.)

Expect video and pics to be up by the end of Saturday.

~Rob
    Last edited by Leonidas24; 10-20-12 at 02:29.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    Good write up, thanks.
    May you be in heaven at least an hour before the devil knows your dead.

Feedback Score
    Looking forward to the pics...Interested in seeing the slide release changes.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thank you for the review. It's reviews like this that helped me make my decision to get my m&p9 pro easier!!

I'll be writing one shortly.

Feedback Score
    Nice review, thanks for sharing.
    What can one man do? You never know until you try.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Sorry guys I've dropped the ball on this one. I'm looking to have pics and video done soon but the world has come down on me this week. I'm losing my rental and am having to find a new place to live, and dealing with work and my college classes at the same time. Hopefully by Thursday night.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Based on this thread i called S&W Customer Service to see if my M&P 40FS manufatured in July 2012 had the upgraded trigger components. I was initially told yes then after being put on hold presumably for a supervisor to confirm, was told that the whole idea of any trigger components having been upgraded from the original is an internet fallacy. He went on to say that they get these phone calls all the time since the production of the shield. Not the answer i was expecting. I once called re. an old Model 10 revolver and was not only given the year of manufacture (1965) but the month.

Feedback Score
    If it has the mag safety it won't breakdown w the trigger pull

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2