Thread: Need some help w/ the Vltor A5

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Need some help w/ the Vltor A5

I recently traded a buddy my fixed stock for his collapsible and Vltor tube that he was having issues with on his .308.

I just compared it to another RE of mine and it seems to be noticeably longer. It's on an orphan lower so I haven't used it yet. I think I might know where the buffer is (in my buddy's .308 AR) but I need to know if there are any obvious markings. What is the length of a vltor A5 buffer? Of a .308 AR rifle buffer?

Also, it takes a rifle spring, correct? We were both under the impression this was a just a Vltor branded tube.
    Last edited by TCBA_Joe; 11-27-12 at 20:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TCBA_Joe View Post
    I recently traded a buddy my fixed stock for his collapsible and Vltor tube that he was having issues with on his .308.

I just compared it to another RE of mine and it seems to be noticeably longer. It's on an orphan lower so I haven't used it yet. I think I might know where the buffer is (in my buddy's .308 AR) but I need to know if there are any obvious markings. What is the length of a vltor A5 buffer? Of a .308 AR rifle buffer?

Also, it takes a rifle spring, correct? We were both under the impression this was a just a Vltor branded tube.
    The A5's are, by design, made to be longer so you can use the rifle length spring.

The buffer says "A5 Vltor pat pend" on the face. You'll know a .308 buffer when you see one, they are unmistakably fatter than a 5.56 carbine buffer.
    Last edited by Dsm2nr; 11-27-12 at 22:05.

Feedback Score
    Make sure you use an a5 buffer and not a standard CAR-length buffer. If you dont have an a5 buffer, you can probably get one at Vltor's site or maybe even bravo.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    If it says "Vltor A5", then you need an A5 buffer. Also, use a rifle spring.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The A5 receiver extension is 3/4 of an inch longer than a standard RE.
    It has 7 positions and is numbered at the top 1 through 7.
    It uses a RIFLE spring and a proprietary A5 buffer.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mine is 3/4" longer than a standard RE and has 6 numbered positions.

I know it's possible to buy A5 buffers, which is probably what I'll do.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The AR10 RE and the A5 RE are the same length, but the AR10 version is missing the first stock position.

You can get the A5 buffer 'kit' from Brownells with the buffer, rifle spring, end plate, and castle nut. I'm not sure if they have the buffer by itself.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 308 AR rifle buffer is 3/4" shorter than an AR-15 rifle buffer.

If the A5 buffer was used in the 308 AR that would explain the problems, it should use an AR-15 H3 in an A5 length RE.

Also the action spring for the 308 NEEDS to be 308 specific.

Feedback Score
    +1 to what Todd said.

Customer purchased an A5 kit and installed it on his AR-10 and DID NOT use an AR-10 rifle spring or one of the heavier buffers.

Grin.... It kinda bitch slapped him some.

I don't normally laugh at my customers but good grief

A little research goes a long way towards solving future problems.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We have access to a lot of parts, but often they're not labeled or have been traded part by part between guys who know guns but not necessarily every small detail of every system out there.

Someone needed a carbine RE and this popped up with no indication it was different than standard.

Thanks for the help, I am hoping to get a peak at the buffer tomorrow. However I don't remember there being markings and I've been told it's running fine in a fixed stock .308.