Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pitting on SureFire MB556K after 1k rounds

Feedback Score

Pitting on SureFire MB556K after 1k rounds

I was cleaning my Mk12 after the weekend carbine class I attended, and I noticed that there is heavy pitting around the forward 2 baffles on my muzzle brake.

I tried to get a picture, but my camera is refusing to focus on it, I need to try some other settings.

The best way that I can describe it is it looks like someone went after some aluminum with a really coarse grit sand blaster.

At first I thought it was carbon build up, but going after some of it with a pick, it is definitely pitting in the metal.

Normal?

Thoughts on what is causing this?
    Last edited by Sticks; 11-24-12 at 17:41.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Gas comes out of that thing at 5,000 feet per second. It wears. If you shoot it long enough you'll wear it out.

Feedback Score
    Not great but you can see some of it.

Not so concerned with the second baffle, but the third is smaller and I have concerns with contact with the bullet - accuracy.

Again, this is only 1k rounds of homebrew M193.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    100% normal.

Feedback Score

Normal huh? Seems a bit excessive but this is my first brake.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Sorry to go off topic, but what was it like to run a mk.12 in a carbine class? What sort of optic does it have?

Feedback Score
    Right now it has a no name 2.5-10x42 on it. Waiting for the deal to close on my PSL so I can buy a NF C297.

It was a bit different running a carbine course with a scope, but once I got used to the cheek weld and head position from low ready it was not all that bad. Different, well...wild was the support side shooting from the VTAC barricade in unconventional positions.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Again, 100% normal.

Feedback Score
    OK.

We will just hope that the protrusions on the last baffle are not affecting the bullet as it exits.

Anyone else here use a SF brake on a precision rifle?
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    No worries. Just an FYI, the first baffle in a Suppressor would look the same.

C4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast