Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chest Rig or Battle Belt?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I would not show up in any kind of "disaster area" with a full kit whether I'm on duty or not, that is just asking for trouble.

Go low profile.
    Loki nails it...

I ditched my warbelt a while back, reasoning is I found it slowing me down.

Lighter=faster

Stick with low-pro kydex
    Kentucky Regional Training Group

Shot placement is power- Stephen A. Camp

I'm aware my avvy does not stand for Heckler and Koch

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I agree with the above posts. I have an HSGI war belt that I set up primarily for training and sometimes wear hiking in remote areas. Were I to find myself in a situation where I had to move from point A to point B during a crisis, I would go with a rig that attracts the least attention.

I have an Eagle LE three mag chest rig that I can zip up a jacket over if the situation calls for it (and weather permits). This, a Glock 19 in a kydex pancake holster, a spare pistol and rifle magazine, and a light pack would be my "heavy" loadout for a bad day.

You could stash your pack, rifle and chest rig if you had to go really low profile and still be armed.

ETA:

You may also wish to re-visit having six rifle magazines as your standard loadout. That is roughly 7-8 pounds of ammo on your body. Keep two or three of those magazines in your Camelbak if you feel you will need that much ammunition.
    Last edited by AZ-Renegade; 11-19-12 at 16:55.
    Good judgment comes from experience. And experience… well, that comes from poor judgment.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I would steer clear of a chest rig with a built in pack or bladder pouch. If you are driving or riding in a vehicle it can get uncomfortable quick. It's also added weight you can't shed without losing most of your magazines.

I recommend a low profile 3-4 mag chest rig. They are easier to go prone with and are more easily concealed than a rig with double magazine pouches.
    Good judgment comes from experience. And experience… well, that comes from poor judgment.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You will not need, use, or want full battle rattle in scenarios you're going to encounter. Add layers of increasing capability to your basic EDC methods, such as additional pouches to your existing belt, a backpack, a battle bag of some sort, a chest rig, etc. Be concealed, be discreet, be smart. Doing otherwise will at least call attention to yourself, and is likely to identify you as a problem.

Build your preps around your CCW handgun(s). It's what you'll have.

Train in what you use and what you'll have every day.

Look at what you're seeing...and NOT seeing...in pics, footage, and reports from NOLA and the Sandy-impacted areas.
    Last edited by ST911; 11-19-12 at 17:37.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ-Renegade View Post
    I recommend a low profile 3-4 mag chest rig. They are easier to go prone with and are more easily concealed than a rig with double magazine pouches.
    +1 on this. I've found that training in and out of vehicles, with a pack, and general ergos from different positions to be easier with a chest rig. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Look at what you're seeing...and NOT seeing...in pics, footage, and reports from NOLA and the Sandy-impacted areas.
    I second focusing on the low-profile CCW option, but don't think that is a complete strategy. I can speak to what I saw in Katrina.

Lots of guns, most tucked just out of sight. Sometimes not.
    Sometimes very, very evident armed persons to demonstrate they were not a soft target.

One Mississippi fellow I ran into pulled out three separate pistols in the course of a friendly 15-minute conversation (Glock, Jetfire and a NAA-Mini). The first open Target store I ran across had a pair of tactically-outfitted officers at the front door.

Full battle rattle isn't going to work on a government-sponsored train, bus or plane evacuation. Whereas a moderate appearance of armed competence to protect your home, business or neighborhood at a critical point might make all the difference. I'm not a tin-foiler, die-in-place, SHTF zombie killer, but there may be a time for different defensive postures.

I've got a MOLLE belt set-up to supplement a rifle - two mag carriers, knife and flashlight. My feeling is a lower-profile MOLLE belt rig isn't going to stick out any more than the rifle you are holding. Keep your smile and war face near at hand too.
    Last edited by HardToHandle; 11-19-12 at 20:47.

Feedback Score
    I prefer a chest rig for vehicle use. Battle belt gets in the way while seated, hard to reach pistol and mags if you're belted in.

Opposite is true of dismounted.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    I guess what I should say is this will be used at the range.

The shtf is an after thought. To be more than honest, during that situation a 3 mag chest rig under a jacket would be great. Anything else like a IFAK or extra mags could be stuffed in pockets etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I guess what I should say is this will be used at the range. The shtf is an after thought.
    EDC/CCW gear then. Focus on what you're actually likely to use.

To be more than honest, during that situation a 3 mag chest rig under a jacket would be great. Anything else like a IFAK or extra mags could be stuffed in pockets etc.
    Small man-purse, get home bag, etc.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    The more I research, the more I'm leaning towards a battle belt. Mainly because I could just roll it up and stash it, and probably more easily unroll it when needed.
    maybe we're thinking about two different things but my "battle belt" can't be rolled up. to me, a battle belt is a "first line" - everything I need to carry the fight with a carbine and it's a pretty bulky deal all set up with pistol, 2 AR and 3 pistol mags, small fixed blade knife, IFAK, 3x5 general purpose pouch, cool tool, and spare light.

I have run carbine/pistol classes with just this and no chest rig and it works great. or at home, I keep it buckled and slung over the top of the closet door and as Doug says, this can be just thrown over a shoulder like a bandoleer and I have everything I need instantly for a bump in the night.

a lot of people are recommending a lighter belt setup with a CCW-flavor and I see the benefit of that. I have a duty belt set up like this with just a holster, 1 AR mag, 2 pistol mags, and mini IFAK paired with a light chest rig for a more concealable option. if you need, add a third line/pack for additional ammo, water, and sustainment supplies.
    never push a wrench...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast