Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle Device for a Tavor: SF FlashHider556-215 vs MuzzleBrake556K

Feedback Score

Muzzle Device for a Tavor: SF FlashHider556-215 vs MuzzleBrake556K

I need some advice from people with more experience than I when it comes to muzzle devices.

I currently have a Tavor TAR-21 rifle in 5.56 that I've really enjoyed building out.

Currently I have a surefire FH556-215 on it, the AAC-similar flash hider. It has done very well for me in the past, when assembling an NVD system on this rifle.

I have a chance to trade it for a muzzle brake instead, the MB556:

A couple of considerations:

1. I recently purchased a Vortex Razor 1-6, which I feel is the end of my optics purchasing for that rifle. So I'll be looking at less Night Vision coyotes and more service rifle/3 gun competitions with that setup.

2. All surefire muzzle devices are hard to find in Canada. They're practically hen's teeth.

3. I could see building a different rifle into an NV specific setup. I still have the NVD, IR-reddot, IR illuminator etc.

4. Because the Tavor is an 18.5 inch barrel, it doesn't produce a ton of flash with an A2. However because it is a full piston system, I've had other shooters accustomed to AR-15s describe it as "bouncy."

5. The Tavor is definitely my SHTF rifle. Its the gun I trust more than any other I own. Is the potential for an increased signature using the brake a reason to stick with the very effective flash hider?

I realize at some point only I can make the decision. But I'd love to hear from othes what you'd do and what you'd use.

Last edited by TV-PressPass; 11-19-12 at 13:24.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My first thought is that the brake is going to be more painful on a Pup than it is on a standard rifle.. being that the shooter's head is that much closer to the pressure wave.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Mine as well...

Feedback Score
    A muzzle brake for a 5.56mm rifle? Why?

I don't think you'll alleviate the "bouncy" feeling with an ear-splitting muzzle brake.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It'll calm the gun down, but at a price. I suppose if the barrel is 16" or more, it might not be that bad.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Give us some details son. Where did you get the Tavor? What did it cost? When can I have one?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    Give us some details son. Where did you get the Tavor? What did it cost? When can I have one?
    He has one because he is special (Canadian), and it cost him an arm and a leg - probably north of $3K. So, your American ass can't have one...yet. But, be patient and your wish might be fulfilled before 2014.
    Last edited by Sensei; 11-27-12 at 00:05.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    Right! Updates!

It cost me just under $1800 Sensei, but only because I'm a clever Canadian. Thanks though :P

I've decided I don't want to lose my SF flash-hider, but I'm curious to see how the Tavor shoots with a brake. I have an 18.5 inch barrel, so the tip of the barrel isn't right on top of me. Similar positioning to a 10.5" AR if you're familiar with those.

I have orderd an Ares Armor Effin-A brake instead to try on it.

My thought is this: almost all .223 brakes out there are designed for ARs. I'm not shooting an AR though, and should't pretend to be. With the customization of the Ares system I think I can build something that is tailored to the Tavor. And if it turns out I don't like it . . . back to the flash-hider!

Feedback Score
    Yea my first thoughts were what Mark said at the start. My POF 415 has a triple port muzzle brake on it and it's a thumper!
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN TRAINING, THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE

Feedback Score
    We'll have to see how it does. I rarely shoot this rifle indoors, so reverberation isn't the same kind of concern. I'm primarily out in the mountains, so there's lots of space.

I like the idea of customizing the Ares setup, but I did read some clever people who criticized them for essentially taking the "lazy way out" by telling the end user: you do the testing and find what works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast