Thread: Weapon ID from news story?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Weapon ID from news story?

I was wondering if anyone could identify what kind of rifle this dude is using:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-Turkey.html

It is the second picture down in the article. It is an interesting rifle and optic. The barrel looks oddly long almost like it would be a 14.5mm, but the ejection port doesn't look that big.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Looks like a OSV-96 12.7mm anti-materiel/anti-sniper rifle.

Video

In 1994 the KB Instrument Design Bureau had offered the 12.7 mm V-94 experimental gas-operated unit rifle with its barrel bore locked by a rotating bolt. This rifle is intended to annihilate a hostile manpower rigged with individual protection armored means, light armored hardware, counter-sniper warfare, and knocking out hostile hardware. A comparatively high recoil effect of the powerful cartridge is being absorbed by the muzzle break of reactive action (in doing so, the exhausted gases don't exert additional pressure on the shooter) and buffer effect of the buttplate of the wooden buttstock. The operational pistol grip is made of plastic. The operating handle is located to the right. The rifle is fed from a 5-round straight box magazine. One of the problems of the large caliber rifles is their length. The V-94 was designed as a folded version, inportable state the barrel is hinged rearward to the right, in doing so, the breech plate face and receiver are covered to prevent them from pollution by a special device. In similar state the rifle can be easily carried with hands and stowed in transport means.
    The rifle can be equipped with various types of optical and night sights, namely, the offer is made for the possible use of a more powerful the day time POS 12X50 sight. The night sight PKN is optional. The adjustable bipod is used as the rest to fire the rifle. The hinge of the bipod is designed to turn it in the transverse plane relative to the rifle.
    After updating the rifle under the OSV-96 designation was adopted for service with the local law enforcement agencies, namely, subunits of the Interior Ministry and FSB agency.
    Last edited by DMR; 11-20-12 at 09:41.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks! I really need to update my references on Soviet weapons.

12.7 makes sense - no idea why I was thinking 14.5.