Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: AAC mini4 question

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    What do you mean by "recored"?

If you have a baffle strike that hits an internal baffle(s) and the end cap, the only way this can be repaired correctly is to make a new silencer.

The bore of a modern centerfire silencer is wire EDM all at once through all the baffles and end cap.
    I assume they cut the core away from the outer tube and put a new one in, then EDM'd a bore. I sent them a can with the outline of a bullet through the baffles and end cap and I got back a can that looked new and unfired. This from a company known to do tax paid transfer when they replace an outer tube.

Feedback Score
    As long as the side of the silencer (the "tube") that has the serial number isn't punctured, an SOT can repair or "rebuild" the silencer by removing the baffles and replacing them ("recoring"). You aren't allowed to do it yourself and a new tube can't be made with the same serial number. Bendsquint over on silencertalk does just this sort of thing. I imagine it's tedious.

You can see a nod to this legal reality in Silencerco's Osprey design and AAC's Ranger 3 design. They both allow for repair in most cases of a round exiting the side of the tube (or severe baffle damage) since the tube is sectioned- the rearmost section being the part with the serial number, the only part that can't be replaced, and the least likely place on the tube for a round to exit.

Feedback Score
    just because im new to the suppressor world does NOT mean im new to the world of shooting and competition. you dont know my intentions or my background. ive shot a few suppressors and completely understand that suppressors have limits and its not like hollywood. never assume anything because that makes an ASS out of U and ME...

also, there are suppressor companies like the huntertown arms that make suppressors that come apart and you can clean the guts or replace baffles if there is a strike.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456