Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going crazy with first SBR build questions-10.5/11.5/12.5?

Feedback Score
    The 11.5 gives the best results between reliability and compactness. A 12.5 with muzzle device gets wacky close to not doing it at all. The 10.5's lose dwell time for not too much more compactness at the sake of reliability. Ultimately it's your decision, but if you are asking, go with the 11.5 and don't look back.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I have a BCM 11.5 upper and a Daniel Defense 10.3 upper. The 11.5 is kind of a do all sbr with a 1-4 power scope on it. The DD is always run suppressed with an Aimpoint T1.
    Two different focuses. The 11.5 was my first and if I could only have one, that's what it would be.

Feedback Score
    Love my BCM 11.5" upper. About all I can add.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    According to Noveske there is ZERO difference in reliability between their 10.5" and 12.5" uppers.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE]
    =matemike;1448169]And 12.5" is too long. You compensating for something? hehe
    Like mentioned above, if you go 12.5, might as well just go 14.5" and pinned at that point.
    11.5" is perfect middle of the road.

Well I don't know what I'd be compensating for....I'm a 100lb chick with more than adequate rack LOL.

I may suppress it down the line, but for right this moment I'd have it unsuppressed.
    I'm on a MAJOR spending spree ...new Noveske AR (bought two days ago), and this SBR build, so rather than pay another $200 for another tax stamp and a can, I'd spend that money on optics/ammo/training classes for right now.

I appreciate everyone's advice, and I'm leaning towards the BCM 11.5, but am going to look into Centurion. I am still tempted by the Noveske 10.5 and keep flip flopping in my mind.

I do want a lighter set up, possibly doing the Troy TRX rails unless anyone has any other suggesstions.....

this is my first SBR and I want to do it right, I dont' mind paying for quality but don't want to overpay. I'd much rather spend $$$ on getting the best set up for me than on dumb shoes, clothes and handbags
    SS

"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." -Daniel Boone

"You have to accept whatever comes and the only important thing is that you meet it with courage and with the best that you have to give." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Well I don't know what I'd be compensating for....I'm a 100lb chick with more than adequate rack LOL.
    And Sarah wins the internet.

I would look for the newer Troy Alpha or Bravo rail vs the older trx series, these utilize a much better mounting system.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 11-22-12 at 19:16.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sarah, look into the Noveske NSR.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Sarah;1448841]

I may suppress it down the line, but for right this moment I'd have it unsuppressed.
    I'm on a MAJOR spending spree ...new Noveske AR (bought two days ago), and this SBR build, so rather than pay another $200 for another tax stamp and a can, I'd spend that money on optics/ammo/training classes for right now.

I appreciate everyone's advice, and I'm leaning towards the BCM 11.5, but am going to look into Centurion. I am still tempted by the Noveske 10.5 and keep flip flopping in my mind.

I do want a lighter set up, possibly doing the Troy TRX rails unless anyone has any other suggesstions.....

this is my first SBR and I want to do it right, I dont' mind paying for quality but don't want to overpay. I'd much rather spend $$$ on getting the best set up for me than on dumb shoes, clothes and handbags
    My Centurion 11.5" barrel shipped with a ~.063 gas port and would not even cycle weak .223 with a carbine buffer. If you reload this might not be a big deal, but I infer that you may not. The BCM with its larger gas port (.076 I believe) would probably be a better choice if you are going to be shooting unsuppressed (at least for now) and presumably using inexpensive ammo for training. I have both, and also prefer the NSR to the TRX alpha although both are quality rails.

I would suggest the following given your wants:

-BCM 11.5" standard weight barrel. The weight difference is smaller with SBR's between standard and LW, and standard will minimize POI shift on your future suppressor.
    -Syrac adjustable gas block.
    -A2 flash hider until you decide what suppressor you will get in the future.
    -NSR or TRX alpha 9" rail. There are no 10" tubes that I would want on my gun, and quad rails will be heavier and provide you with little added benefit. An 11" rail on a 11.5" barrel won't leave enough room for a future suppressor.
    -Standard upper receiver
    -BCM auto BCG
    -BCM mod 4 CH
    Last edited by calvin118; 11-22-12 at 21:26.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    KAC SR15 SBR without the flip up sight gas block.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The 11.5" will be the most trouble free with a wide variety of hunting, plinking, and military ammunition using regular USGI springs and buffers.

The only barrels I trust are Colt, DD, BCM, and Noveske in this length.

I would just buy a Colt 6933 and you can upgrade it later if you want. You will need most of the parts off the 6933 so I would just buy one and get it over with.
    Last edited by scottryan; 11-22-12 at 21:52.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast