Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Going crazy with first SBR build questions-10.5/11.5/12.5?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    The only block I would use is a Switchblock, but I personally think that less is better. My set up which includes an A5, Springco spring and LMT enhanced carrier has been reliable for thousands of rounds without adding serious expense and more moving parts.

I actually have a Raptor coming and am going to evaluate it. I am curious to see how it works.
    Yeah, I guess you're right. ADCO still does the Switchblock cuts on the DD MK.18 RIS don't they?

Yeah, I consider the LMT Enhanced carrier, and A5 system a necessity on a suppressed system as well.

Also, I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the Raptor. I know Army Chief likes his.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by calvin118 View Post
    I would get the A5
    let people like me be the Syrac guinea pigs. You can always upgrade in the future.
    I would also skip the gasbuster and go for the BCM mod 4 CH.
    All good advice. I wouldn't get the Syrac just yet personally, I'll let others get it sorted first. And definitely skip the PRI for a BCM, 80 damn dollars for a charging handle that doesn't really work any better! pfft

I'll have cyclic rate and highspeed testing results for the A5 soon, but from what I've seen before I know the cyclic rate results, it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. So go with that.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The reality is that a correctly built 10.5" will run as well as any other barrel length. The reality is also that a shorter barrel and consequently less dwell time will mean more gas required to function. More gas more wear, a compromise for the convenient package.

That said, I would opt for the shortest barrel if I had to go through the SBR process.

I have an LMT 10.5" and a BCM 11.5" both have been completely reliable with and without supressors. If I could only keep one... it would be the 10.5"

LMT 10.5"
    BCM 11.5"

My wife is not quite the pixie you are but she is close at 5'5"/120lbs and she really likes the shortest barrel.

Here she is with the LMT 10.5"

Good luck.
    Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    In case anyone is keeping score, Cameron just won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Cameron won again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post

Here she is with the LMT 10.5"

Good luck.
    Cameron
    You really should sell a calendar!

To the OP, I'd recommend trying the A5 as is from Vltor. After you run it a bit, then maybe try different weight buffers and springs. My A5 runs like a champ on my 11.5.
    Last edited by El Cid; 11-27-12 at 20:34.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Let's not turn this site into the ARFcom circus everytime a broad posts, Boys.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    LMT 10.5"
    BCM 11.5"
    I'm sure it's on here elsewhere but what are the details on the LMT can set up? It looks like its right up against the rail? And what can is on the 11.5"?
    "It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider79 View Post
    I'm sure it's on here elsewhere but what are the details on the LMT can set up? It looks like its right up against the rail?
    Here ya go: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=107527

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    In my experience with the A5 with probably about 17,5K rounds between two different full time uppers is that it is the solution for making almost anything run right. Although the barrel selection is the single most critical in my opinion.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I'm set up A5/fixed gas block as well. Even on an upper that's supposed to be set up for dedicated suppressed, it still cycles and locks back without the can.

I'd also say SSA for this application, if not the cheaper G2S (w/ G&R LPK only). That second stage is still light enough for precision stuff, but it's not a sub-4# trigger.

LMT, DD, BCM - any of these are GTG for a BCG. Price and availability will dictate, I've got at least two of each, and some mutt ones I got from RA and G&R, none have been bad. The 3 DPMS I started with are all spare parts cows.

I'd go mod5 or mod4 BCM Gunfighter handle for sure - I really do like my PRI units, but it's not worth the extra cost. I'm only keeping them because I got them with uppers at discounts, and even at that every upper that isn't set up for my OPS cans still wears a Mod5 GFH.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    so what if I want the best of both worlds and not run it suppressed 100% of the time, (not going to get a can for a bit and I may not even get one at all)...is there any modifications to this list?

1. 11.5 BCM or Noveske barrel
    2. Lo Pro GB or MAYBE the Syrac adjustable gas block (for down the line suppressed use, not 100% decided on ot yet)
    3. Noveske 9'' NSR rail
    4. BCM Lower
    5. VLTOR A5 receiver extension with EMOD stock
    6. Geissele SSA Trigger
    7. BCM Mod 4 charging handle
    8. BCM mod 1 pistol grip
    9. Noveske QD End Plate
    10. BCG from LMT or do the FFail Zero BCG?
    11.BCMGUNFIGHTER Compensator Mod 1
    12. Aimpoint H-1
    13. BUIS--haven't narrowed that down yet----I do know how to run irons and can , but RDS is what I want to go so maybe the TROY
    SS

"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." -Daniel Boone

"You have to accept whatever comes and the only important thing is that you meet it with courage and with the best that you have to give." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Sara,
    This looks like a great example of a "buy it right the first time" build. You started with a good idea of what you wanted, have been given a lot of good advice, and have taken it.
    So many people asking questions about builds have already made up their minds and then when they are pointed in other directions it just goes downhill. No one learns anything from those posts. I appreciate your sincere question and willingness to learn. As a result, I think you are going to have a great SBR with no regrets. Will you want to change some things down the road? Sure, we all do as our needs or wants change but that is part of the game.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast