Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Going crazy with first SBR build questions-10.5/11.5/12.5?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    so what if I want the best of both worlds and not run it suppressed 100% of the time, (not going to get a can for a bit and I may not even get one at all)...is there any modifications to this list?

1. 11.5 BCM or Noveske barrel
    2. Lo Pro GB or MAYBE the Syrac adjustable gas block (for down the line suppressed use, not 100% decided on ot yet)
    3. Noveske 9'' NSR rail
    4. BCM Lower
    5. VLTOR A5 receiver extension with EMOD stock
    6. Geissele SSA Trigger
    7. BCM Mod 4 charging handle
    8. BCM mod 1 pistol grip
    9. Noveske QD End Plate
    10. BCG from LMT or do the FFail Zero BCG?
    11.BCMGUNFIGHTER Compensator Mod 1
    12. Aimpoint H-1
    13. BUIS--haven't narrowed that down yet----I do know how to run irons and can , but RDS is what I want to go so maybe the TROY
    DD, or LMT for fixed BUIS is a good choice, and KAC for flip up BUIS is also good.

Military Times also did an article regarding the Magpul plastic BUIS and remarked upon them favorably. I don't like them, but that doesn't mean they suck.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not for nothing... But if my options were 11.5" with 9" rail or a 12.5" with an 11" rail, I'd opt for the 1" increase in OAL and get the 2" of hand real estate for free. I'm 6', so that's factored in, but I do like the look better as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Not for nothing... But if my options were 11.5" with 9" rail or a 12.5" with an 11" rail, I'd opt for the 1" increase in OAL and get the 2" of hand real estate for free. I'm 6', so that's factored in, but I do like the look better as well.
    You could even get a 12" bbl from LaRue or Lothar-Walther and be able to run an 11" handguard and suppressor. I've considered that option several times.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I agree with the longer rail options, but lets remember the OP of this thread said she is about 5 feet tall. I am imagining her arms are a little shorter than ours.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    so what if I want the best of both worlds and not run it suppressed 100% of the time, (not going to get a can for a bit and I may not even get one at all)...is there any modifications to this list?

1. 11.5 BCM or Noveske barrel I'd go 10.5" Noveske hammer-forged. They clean up easy, are tough, and 1MOA vs 0.5MOA doesn't matter with a 5MOA shooter off-hand and 3MOA ammo.
    2. Lo Pro GB or MAYBE the Syrac adjustable gas block (for down the line suppressed use, not 100% decided on ot yet) Switchblock.
    3. Noveske 9'' NSR rail Why? I'm not into the NSR, but it is cool. Opinions and flavors and all that.
    4. BCM Lower THey make good stuff, but I would get the Noveske simply because you can buy a factory complete SBR from them. Nice.
    5. VLTOR A5 receiver extension with EMOD stock That's fine if you want to spend the money, Noveske SBR's run well with or without it, they can do that for you as well. Your choice when your dealer orders. It's an extra $39.95 when you order.
    6. Geissele SSA Trigger I love mine. All I use.
    7. BCM Mod 4 charging handle I love mine. I bought a Raptor, though, and it's cool, too.
    8. BCM mod 1 pistol grip Totally personal. I like the MAGPUL MOE.
    9. Noveske QD End Plate I like mine. I run a PIG Slider from SKD on it.
    10. BCG from LMT or do the FFail Zero BCG? I wouldn't get a fail-zero carrier or any other coating. They don't work as well. See my below post. Also, Noveske complete uppers/rifles come with BCG's, don't stress.
    11.BCMGUNFIGHTER Compensator Mod 1 I'd get the AAC/Surefire/Whatever mount that you are going to go with when you suppress. Noveske will attach either.
    12. Aimpoint H-1 2 MOA version is out, now.
    13. BUIS--haven't narrowed that down yet----I do know how to run irons and can , but RDS is what I want to go so maybe the TROY Noveske rifles come with TROY BUIS.
    http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...status=&title=

Grab an Aimpoint T1/H1 2 or 4 MOA of your choice in the mount of your choice, a light, sling, and VFG/AFG/hand-stop(s) if you want, and rock and roll.

I would take Noveske's BCG over anyone else's. They tune their rifles VERY well as a system, and take things into account that many people don't even think about. If you buy a Noveske, it will run, and run well. No guesswork or trouble-shooting on your part---it will flat work. Period. If for some reason it doesnt---because human beings work at Noveske, it WILL be made to where it is stone cold reliable.

This weapon will run 100% correctly suppressed or not. It is correctly gassed for suppressed, unsuppressed, and gas can be turned "off" if you want to do that for whatever reason. Flip of the selector on the gasblock, no allen wrenches or tweaking, just solid, pre-set, thoroughly specific and accurately metered gas-settings for the job at hand.

About that BCG...
    http://peosoldier.armylive.dodlive.m...am-pip-update/
    This all is who were interested in competing. You can bet that at LEAST LWRC (and yes, they did compete) had the latest and greatest crap sprayed/baked/filmed onto their submission and that it came with 3 ports, a dozen axillary springs, a spare tire and a box of polyeurethane hypoallergenic condoms to contain its greatness. It still wasn't as good as the regular 'ol mil-spec BCG, apparently.
    https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...l&tabmode=list
    Last edited by WS6; 11-29-12 at 12:59.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    See notes below

1. 11.5 BCM or Noveske barrel
    Are going stainless? It will be heavier most likely and you will need to buy higher grade ammo ($$$) to get any real benefit from it
    2. Lo Pro GB or MAYBE the Syrac adjustable gas block (for down the line suppressed use, not 100% decided on ot yet)
    The Syrac is not going to be "proven" for awhile... I'd skip it unless it was on a fungun
    3. Noveske 9'' NSR rail
    4. BCM Lower
    5. VLTOR A5 receiver extension with EMOD stock
    6. Geissele SSA Trigger
    Why not just get the GI trigger for a few bucks more with you LPK and run that until you think you need a Geissle and then you will have a GI trigger as a backup or might like it and can spend that $ on ammo.
    7. BCM Mod 4 charging handle
    8. BCM mod 1 pistol grip
    I prefer the Mod1 grip a it has a longer trigger reach and that is why I suggested the Mod 0 for you as I thought the Mod 0 would give you better trigger reach and access to selector lever than the Mod1
    9. Noveske QD End Plate
    10. BCG from LMT or do the FFail Zero BCG?
    Grant at G&R Tactical and a Moderator here is a pro on BCG's in SBRs and can give you the skinny on the Fail Zero or do a search on his SBR experiments
    11.BCMGUNFIGHTER Compensator Mod 1
    You can change muzzle devices like models change shoes If you are not getting a can anytime soon then a Battle Comp or simple A2 would be a better choice I think, but do a search and ask more people.
    12. Aimpoint H-1
    13. BUIS--haven't narrowed that down yet----I do know how to run irons and can , but RDS is what I want to go so maybe the TROY
    Troy will be more robust and probably more accurate than a polymer set of BUIS, but if they are truly a backup and you do not expect to do any mountain surfing like Marcus Luttrell and wt is the most imp concern then the Magpul will probably suit you just fine
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Breadman View Post
    Sara,
    This looks like a great example of a "buy it right the first time" build. You started with a good idea of what you wanted, have been given a lot of good advice, and have taken it.
    So many people asking questions about builds have already made up their minds and then when they are pointed in other directions it just goes downhill. No one learns anything from those posts. I appreciate your sincere question and willingness to learn. As a result, I think you are going to have a great SBR with no regrets. Will you want to change some things down the road? Sure, we all do as our needs or wants change but that is part of the game.
    Breadman, I appreciate your words. I have no qualms about asking questions and learning. I appreciate everyone's opinion and advice.

I love to learn and think it's valuable to listen to those more experienced or have "been down that road before".
    It's not bad to admit that you don't know things...we all start as novices and learn. I'd rather ask for help and advice and do things with the fewest amount of errors the first time...and re ask and re question and maybe bug people and save time & money in doing things right

While people may have differing views, I consider what everyone says, know what will work for me after I research it and test it out on my own....if a suggestion doesn't work, it's another insight that's learned.
    Some people like Fords, some Chevy's, some like Coke, some Pepsi, some like Chocolate, some vanilla.....at the end of the day whatever fits ME the best, works for ME the best, and makes me the most accurate and quickest shooter that matters.
    But that being said again, i truly really do thank everyone for their advice...it has helped me immensely!

update I got a BCM lower and my from 1 is sent off!
    Last edited by Sarah; 11-29-12 at 22:36.
    SS

"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." -Daniel Boone

"You have to accept whatever comes and the only important thing is that you meet it with courage and with the best that you have to give." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Feedback Score

The clock is ticking

Now you have the time to look close and refine your options. As stated above what your most important use of the rifle is will determine the best configuration for you. Handle as many as you can, and since you are here in Vegas try to visit the SHOT show in January, a world of information and knowledge at your finger tips.
    Last edited by 308sako; 11-29-12 at 22:37.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I will be working SHOT again this year so Ill be there all 4 days. I love SHOT and can't wait until January. I will definitely look and explore some of my options then.
    SS

"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." -Daniel Boone

"You have to accept whatever comes and the only important thing is that you meet it with courage and with the best that you have to give." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Think about it, chief.

What do you do when you clear your weapon?
    Well I sure don't check my LOWER to check the chamber empty if that is what you are referring to. Hence why I said ambi LOWER.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast