Thread: First AR 15 223 build-Tools?

Feedback Score

First AR 15 223 build-Tools?

Hi,
    I was able to get my hands on a Spikes Tactical upper and lower and after some searching found a DD 16" CHF Chrome lined barrel and DD chrome Bolt Assembly. This is the major parts but was wondering where you guys buy the smaller parts at and what exact name brand tools you use for building,such as barrel wrenches and reciever blocks. Hope to build a few of these so want some good tools. I have built FAL's and M-14's before but just now getting into the AR platform. Thanks!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Tools mostly from Brownells. Parts from where I can find them. I'm partial to Daniel Defense LPK's. Midway supposedly had them on sale today. I bought my last one from DSG arms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    palmetto state armory lower build kits

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    You having built different platforms before, an AR should come easy - and you know having good tools and the best parts are half the battle, will make it easy and run reliable.

Going by the spec's you have - it's a no-brainer: LPK from DD, or G&R. Take it from those here that do this for a living: Do not compromise. You WILL regret it.
    Spikes LPK is OK as well - as you have a Spikes lower.(aimsurplus.com - they have other LPK's for good price - if you're patient)

Suggestion: get extra small parts. I tend to have at least 2 spare LPK's laying around. Add to that an extra bunch of detents and springs - every one of them.
    I'm assuming once you built one, you're going to build another, and another, and another....

Having a GOOD barrel wrench (open-ended with many pins - avoid the 100-in-1 AR tool)) and upper/lower blocks are crucial. Brownells, Midway and many of the specialized AR vendors will stock most of the quality tools.
    A good punch set and roll pin holders (starters) sized for the AR is also really important.

Also - use the search tool - you'll find most any question will have been answered, again and again and again....

Good luck.

edit: yep - Midway has them, but hardly can call it "sale"....at $82.00.........Where are the days of affordable quality parts......
    Last edited by polydeuces; 11-24-12 at 09:02.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Punches and other tools from Brownell's, I have had good luck with PSA LPK w/o Fire Control as I use upgraded Fire Control groups on almost all of my rifles.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Gentlemen,
    I have the basic tools as I've built other rifles and always sort of shunned the AR Platform until I saw the Germans at HK go with the rotary bolt system on the G36 and then started looking into it! I have a young friend that is eat up with AR-itus and he gave me some ideas and I'm off!

I just ordered $600 of small parts/tools from Brownell's and Fulton Armory. I think I have what I need to build my rifle and everything should be in next week. I'll try to take some pics and share if I can as I build it. I did not go with a quad rail as I see no use in it for me as I don't like things hanging off my rifle and in the way so I went with all Magpul furniture including a PRS stock,which should be different but being tall and having a long LOP I need it! I don't see it being any heavier than the UBR and works better for me. Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    One thing many people forget is the graphite-free molybdenum disulphide grease for the barrel nut. You don't need much. I bought a small (~2oz.) tub of it and it's still over half full after a couple of dozen builds.