Thread: Best ammo for 5R .223?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Best ammo for 5R .223?

Hey guys,

In an effort to not blow a few hundred bucks on ammo testing, is there a certain round that the Remington 5R in .223 seems to like better than the others? I know every barrel is different, but was curious if there's some rounds that seem to fare better than others.

Thanks =)

Feedback Score
    Remington's web site doesn't list anything faster than the 1\9 twist rate for .223. That being said I have gotten excellent accuracy out of Hornady 75 gr TAP and the Hornady 75 gr A-Max bullet out of a 1\9 twist AR. If you don't want to go that route I can pretty much guarantee that the 69 gr Sierra will be a tack driver out of just about anything you shoot it through. 223 is a very forgiving round to load for accuracy, so what works for most should also work for you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Gold View Post
    Remington's web site doesn't list anything faster than the 1\9 twist rate for .223. That being said I have gotten excellent accuracy out of Hornady 75 gr TAP and the Hornady 75 gr A-Max bullet out of a 1\9 twist AR. If you don't want to go that route I can pretty much guarantee that the 69 gr Sierra will be a tack driver out of just about anything you shoot it through. 223 is a very forgiving round to load for accuracy, so what works for most should also work for you.
    It's funny you should mention 75gr for a 1/9 barrel. I shot some 75gr Wolf Gold Match BTJHP (which is actually reboxed Prvi Partizan) out of my friend's Savage 12 BVSS (1/9" twist) a few weeks back and the groups were only slightly worse than 69gr Gold Medal Match. I managed a .6"ish 4-shot group with it at 104yds (a 5th flyer opened it up to 1.2").

I'm beginning to think that 75gr is right on the edge of being acceptable in a 1/9. I'll give it a shot in the 5R. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    .69 and .75 Sierra HPBT work great in my savage 1:9. Nothing wrong with shooting 75's.

Best powder it likes so far is 24.0 gr of Varget.