Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1000pcs of 308 brass, and I can still feel my hands!

Feedback Score

1000pcs of 308 brass, and I can still feel my hands!

Step 1 - FL Size & Decap with Forster Co-Ax using Forster FL Sizing die.

Step 2 - Tumble for 1.5hrs in Thumlers B high-speed with stainless media & Ivory Soap. Then rinse brass in cold water.

Step 3 - Run them through Bench Source automatic case annealer.

Step 4 - Run them through Giraud trimmer.

Step 5 - Admire the sight of over 1000pcs of shiny winchester brass, ready for primers, powder, and pills.

I don't really even want to think about how sore my hands would be if I wouldn't have all the equipment that I do. Nor do I want to think how long this would have taken me with traditional gear. I worked on this batch of brass for about 5-6 days, working on it a few hours each day.

Here is a picture that illustrates the Giraud in all its glory. On the left you see the case after it comes out of the tumbler and annealer. On the right, you see the case after a 3-second pass through the Giraud. A nice round case mouth which is cut to within one thousandth of the desired length, and perfectly chamfered inside and out. Trimming in quantity without a Giraud is akin to med-evil torture.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Impressive, Been loading along time and never seen the equipment you have.

Would you mind sharing what it is and how it works. Im still using the RCBS case trimmer manual and it sucks. I have huge box's of 308 that need to be done and the case sizing alone keeps me from doing it.

Please educate us on your system it looks like it works well.

DW

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Man I have been thinking about one of thouse trimmers for years just dont have the money. That anneler is BADASS as well. How many firings did you have on that brass, that who had to anneal it 5 or 6?

Also did you tumble after you annealed as I dont see the heat marking on the brass pile?

Jon

Great post
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up

As a "low-tech-econo-do-everything-by-hand" reloader such as myself, I am incredibly envious of your setup! For every one of your high-end stations, I'm probably using a Lee Zip Trim and Cabela's Tumbler... pfftt and forget about annealing. Gotta start somewhere I guess! Thanks for sharing gives me something to aspire to.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    Please educate us on your system it looks like it works well.
    I'll be doing an article on the full process I use in the future, but I'll give you a quick and dirty.

Step 1
    Forster Co-Ax is the best single stage press in the world in my opinion. It has floating jaws and floating die. This gets rid of a lot of runout problems associated with presses. I use a Forster FL sizing die as they are way stronger than the Redding's I've used, and have a much more intuitive stem adjustment.

Step 2
    This is a Thumlers Model B "High Speed" that you can get from numerous sources. I've bought mine at stainlesstumblingmedia.com. Using a wet process to tumble the brass gets it sparkling clean. Inside, outside, and primer pockets all end up perfectly clean. Just a couple tablespoons of ivory dish soap thrown in with about 120-150pcs of 308 and a gallon of water. I let it run for 1.5-2hrs. No harm in letting it run longer.

Step 3
    Bench-Source Case Annealer. Click here for a full listing of specs. I anneal after every firing. This keeps the neck tension uniform across the entire batch between firings, and keeps the neck/shoulder area expanding properly between firings. It also gets rid of most of the excess water left over from tumbling.

http://youtu.be/OaXzARG5Qz0

There's a video. Unlike the one in the video, I have mine hooked to a 20lb propane tank, and lines run up to two individual torches.

No I didn't tumble after annealing. The reason you don't see the heat mark is because different brass reacts differently to annealing. If you look closely, it's there. It's just not the bright blue you see on lapua. I like to error on the side of caution, so I don't want to over-cook it. The when the necks come out the other side of the torch station, you can see them glow just a bit if the lights are off. Winchester brass has a thin wall, so you can ruin them pretty quick. That's what's nice about the bench source. You can set the dwell time down to a tenth of a second.

Step 4
    The Giraud trimmer. It'll trim a case in a couple seconds, and chamfer inside and outside while it's doing it.

http://youtu.be/0X1Zdwnm9Fk

There's a video. No faster way to trim brass that I'm aware of.

I shoot a lot. On the order of 10,000rnds of just 308 per year. I don't know what I'd do without the gear I have. Shoot less? (yeah right)
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    nice writeup

couple of comments:

1 forester co-ax rocks

2 careful with the stainless tumbling media. a competitor at rifles only bushnell brawl earlier this month apparently had a piece of the media stuck in the case that came out when firing... did some interesting damage to his brake on the way out. make sure you get it all out!

3 check out the giraud annealer... very nice http://www.giraudtool.com/annealer1.htm

4 trimmer rocks.
    Last edited by taliv; 05-05-12 at 11:32.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    make sure you get it all out!

3 check out the giraud annealer... very nice http://www.giraudtool.com/annealer1.htm
    Yeah, that's why I manually dunk each case upside down a few times in water. I don't need one of those pins coming out.

I checked out that annealer. Doesn't look as good as the bench source. I like that you can stack it full of cases, but I like the versatility of the bench source a bit better.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Mark just bought a case trimmer, can't remember which on but he said it was true glory.

Gotta feeling an annealer is in our future.

He uses that stainless tumbler and the brass looks better than new! Its so bad ass.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have never heard of anyone annealing after every firing. Do you think it makes a big diffrence?
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    I have never heard of anyone annealing after every firing. Do you think it makes a big diffrence?
    This brass is already shooting 1/2 moa or less when new/unfired, so I can't see it making a "big" difference.

My main reason for doing it is to help get water out of the cases after tumbling. I figure if I'm going to anneal after several firings, then why not anneal every time and keep things consistent.

With an annealer like I have, it really isn't a big deal to do it every time. If I were doing it by hand, I wouldn't do it every time. It takes this machine about 5 seconds per case, including the time to rotate the next piece of brass into position.
    Last edited by orkan; 04-24-12 at 15:46.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast